No announcement yet.

ESPN: The NBA Needs to Ask Itself If It Wants To Be In Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you know what else is a big problem when you have 0 players from your own damn country on your roster!!!!!!

and the greatest player of all time from your country plays in the desert and the one from the other sport lives in the desert. I mean, no wonder they think we are a frekin frozen wasteland. honestly, i could easily fix us up and make us a winning frnachise i'd start by bringing in PLAYERS FROM OUR OWN MOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for swearing, btu i mean holy J.C.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
      its like what came first the chicken or the egg dilema.

you need players to win.
      You can draft guys and overpay guys to come here to try to create a winning team. Are you insinuating that you NEED a team chock full of Americans to win?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        you know what else is a big problem when you have 0 players from your own damn country on your roster!!!!!!

and the greatest player of all time from your country plays in the desert and the one from the other sport lives in the desert. I mean, no wonder they think we are a frekin frozen wasteland. honestly, i could easily fix us up and make us a winning frnachise i'd start by bringing in PLAYERS FROM OUR OWN MOTHER FUCKING COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im not sure that would be the best choice in every case but having Nash,Joel Anthony,Samual Dalembert on our team would make us better then we are now for sure.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

The Suns would want a fortune for Nash - even with him being close to retirement.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            You can draft guys and overpay guys to come here to try to create a winning team. Are you insinuating that you NEED a team chock full of Americans to win?
            i couldnt care less were they came from or what color there skin is, all i do care about is talent, toughness & desire to compete & win every night.

Comment

Guys,

Bosh, Carter, McGrady and Stoudamire all had something in common. All of them had major character flaws. Bosh's flaw is the need for attention and insecurity. Carter's was toughness and desire. McGrady's was ego and professionalism. Stoudamire's was immaturity. None of these guy's were fit to be the leader of a team. Not retaining them as keystones in not the end of the world. They weren't taking the team anywhere. Beyond them let's look at some guys who wanted no part of Toronto or wanted out:

- Alonzo Mourning: Wanted to compete for a championship. Not a chance at the time in Toronto.
              - Lamond Murray: A cancer in the locker room. His ego was far bigger than his game. They wasted a 1st rounder on him. I don't think he would have been happy anywhere.
              - Eric Williams: Didn't get the PT he wanted. Wasn't happy about moving away from Jersey and would not uproot his family.
              - Antonio Davis: He didn't like the school system. He was scared of the metric system. I think he also complained about the taxes...

There are a few more but I'll stop there. I think winning would fix a lot. I think if the American media were more responsible that would help too. Beyond that most of those with problems who have come and actually played in Toronto had issues with the team, not the city or the country or the culture. Once they get here they can be educated, when we're talking about developing from within. I also think they should not pursue guys who will only come to Toronto if the Raptors pay a large premium. That alone should tell you they're not showing up for the right reasons.

I think the key always has been and always will be bringing the right characters to town. Not all stars feel compelled to be in a big American market... And to Chris Bosh, for a place that doesn't get much covered there sure are a lot of American media outlets writing a lot about the Raptors. Maybe if he brought the same stuff to the table as Wade or James he would get the same attention on his own and wouldn't need to get in their spot lights.
              Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 29, 2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

i couldnt care less were they came from or what color there skin is, all i do care about is talent, toughness & desire to compete & win every night.
                Exactly. So how is it a chicken before the egg dilemna? They can be European, South American, African..or drafted. BC just needs to get his shit together, hire a proper coach and find the right mix of players.

Comment

Exactly. So how is it a chicken before the egg dilemna? They can be European, South American, African..or drafted. BC just needs to get his shit together, hire a proper coach and find the right mix of players.

read back

i was refering to your comment about winning will make players want to come here, but u need players to win!!

read twice comment once!! LOL

Comment

read back

i was refering to your comment about winning will make players want to come here, but u need players to win!!

read twice comment once!! LOL
                    I already commented on that. I said that with a mix of drafted players and overpaid FAs (and with some creative trades..add on) you might be able to create winning team. Do you think it's automatically gonna happen, us becoming a winning team? It takes some time.

Maybe you should heed to your own advice, friend.

Comment

The actual problem is that Toronto isn`t a small market. So when you become the franchise player in Toronto you actually get more attention then you deserve. Toronto has a lot of media and because Toronto is the only foreign team in the NBA people always recognize the franchise player on Toronto. THats why every Raptor star was OVERRATED. So the raptors franchise players get big ego`s and feel they`re short done by playing in Canada. Not suprising is that almost every raptor franchise player was a failure outside of Canada.

Comment

Ture, but we were on the verge and went all in with that hand. AND the team attendance was having a rough time because they were a new Franchise. MLSE probably spent $$ to ensure their investment would stay strong. Not like to today. It will sells out no matter what....SO far.

Raps History:

1995- Hello NBA & Stoudamire!
                        1996- Draft Marcus Camby
                        1997- Injuries & Isiah Thomas U SUCK! Draft T-Mac
                        1998- Welcome Grunwald! Shake up this mess. Keep the youth & get Vets Oakley, Kevin Willis, New Tough coach Butch Carter to help youth develop. ROOKIE Carter, Doug Christie & T-Mac's Comming Out Party! The beginning of the end for Alvins knees. Thank-You Alvin!
                        1999- Bring in Antonio Davis to help in playoffs. Damn! The Knick just won 4 striaght. 1 round exit.
                        2000- Christie traded for Corliss Williamson Opppsss... then Jerome Williams JYD. Hello Lenny Wilkens & Mark 'The Preacher' Jackson to help Alvins knees. Media LOVES Vince and ignores T-Mac. T-Mac Free Agent to Magic we got NOTHING.

***THE BEGINNING OF THE END***

No need to say more. It's all downhill from here.... BUT the return on investment is still great!

Comment

I already commented on that. I said that with a mix of drafted players and overpaid FAs (and with some creative trades..add on) you might be able to create winning team. Do you think it's automatically gonna happen, us becoming a winning team? It takes some time.

Maybe you should heed to your own advice, friend.
                          maybe u need to read three times LOL

wasnt saying anything about anything happening over night.

only comment i made directed at u was that its like the chickin & egg dilema, what comes first winning or winning players. & its quite obvious.

everything else was assumed by u & i corrected u

to say i should heed my own advice would be assuming again!

Comment

PapiJulio wrote: View Post
                            AND the team attendance was having a rough time because they were a new Franchise.
                            Toronto has always been pretty good for attendance.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Toronto has always been pretty good for attendance.
                              agreed

it just seemed like there wasnt many people at the game when they were playing in the skydome.

that building was just way too big for basketball

Comment

Someone has to respond to these two idiots and address these ridiculous comments head on.
                                If not, we will continue to hear more inbelievable bs.
                                Obviously they have an audience that treats everything that comes out of their mouths as gospel.

Comment

Working...
                                X