Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lin to the Raptors a good idea? Lin Raptors Plan B? (168)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose's PER is 16.73. Just throwing that out there.

totally minor stuff and i'm not saying Lin is better than Jose or the savior of the raps or anything, but it is what it is.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Well he's obviously worth a shot for the right amount of money. But he's gonna be looking for a bigger paycheck than I feel comfortable with the raps giving. Too high risk for the high price tag

Comment

• With an anticipated $70 million tax level, the apron will come in around $74 million this summer.

One of the restrictions placed on teams above the apron was the smaller mid-level exception of about $3 million, while teams under the apron could have the larger mid-level exception of about $5 million. Since a team above the apron can't offer more than $3 million in a mid-level contract, the converse is also true: a team that offers more than $3 million in a mid-level contract can't subsequently exceed the apron.

The consequences are potentially devastating for teams with payrolls below the apron. If a team spends more than $3 million of its mid-level exception, then the apron becomes a hard cap for the remainder of the season. If you're a General Manager trying to assemble a winning roster, "hard cap" is an ugly, ugly phrase.

Keeping that in mind, the Knicks are in a unique situation regarding their mid-level exception -- and it's all because of Lin, a restricted free agent. While the Knicks can sign him to the non-taxpayer mid-level exception of about $3 million or below, anything above that would create a hard cap. Lin is likely going to demand his maximum of about $5 million for two main reasons: 1.) While he may not have that much basketball value right now, teams will be drawn to bringing Linsanity to their city; and 2.) Because other teams are going to know that the Knicks will be hard-capped if Lin re-signs for $3 million or more, they'll press them to match at about $5 million.

If the Knicks do, they'll still be able to re-sign him because he's a restricted free agent. In fact, because he has that status, the Knicks and Lin could agree to an offer sheet even before other teams bid for his services. And the Knicks can match any number because of the Gilbert Arenas provision, which prevents other teams from offering too much.

Currently, the Knicks are below the apron, so they'll be hoping and praying that Lin signs an offer sheet for $3 million or less. If the Knicks keep Lin at that amount (and they don’t use their bi-annual exception), they won't be capped at $74 million, and they can later go above the apron. Therefore, they could make trades that take on lots of additional salary, but they will still have to pay tax if their team salary is above the tax line (no transactions exempt a team from potentially paying tax).

While Lin's agent, Roger Montgomery, will have a fiduciary responsibility to his client to get him the best deal possible, he'll know the eventual suitor will be the Knicks. Therefore, Montgomery could ask Lin to do the Knicks a favor and take $2 million less and sign for about $3 million, in order to give the team salary-cap flexibility. By staying in New York, Lin would be make up the difference off the court by being a hot name in the No. 1 media market. What Montgomery will have to watch out for is the Knicks saying, "Sign with us for $3 million and we'll promise to take care of you later." It's that promise to take care of a player later that gets teams into trouble.
        Source: ESPN.com

Comment

• Jeremy Lin: Promising PG Would Be Linsane to Spurn Knicks for Raptors

Harvard’s prestige would plummet if Jeremy Lin signed with the Toronto Raptors. That was the headline of article I just came across on a Yahoosports.com. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ks-for-raptors. This guy truly puts into perspective what many in the USA Sport world thinks of Canada when it comes to basketball and most sports for that matter. Are we truly that much poison where in Canada?

Is this guy even worth all the money that people are talking about throwing his way?

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
            Harvard’s prestige would plummet if Jeremy Lin signed with the Toronto Raptors. That was the headline of article I just came across on a Yahoosports.com. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ks-for-raptors. This guy truly puts into perspective what many in the USA Sport world thinks of Canada when it comes to basketball and most sports for that matter. Are we truly that much poison where in Canada?

Is this guy even worth all the money that people are talking about throwing his way?
            You do realize you're referrencing a Bleacher Report article, right? I've seen better material written in grade school.

Comment

• Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post

This isn't Yahoo. It is Bleacher Report. Enough said.

Comment

• Oh my. For sh!ts and giggles I decided to read this. Hilarious!

Harvard’s prestige would plummet if Jeremy Lin signed with the Toronto Raptors.

Such an unintelligent decision would be detrimental to the University’s reputation of superior intellect.

But in all serious, signing with the Raptors would be the worst decision Lin ever made.

Mitch Lawrence of the NY Daily News reported the NBA’s lone Canadian franchise is interested in signing the New York Knicks point guard in free agency.
                This is all opinion. He is entitled to it but he offers no reasons to back it up. Why exactly is this the worst decision he could ever make? Insight, please, come on, man.

While Lin doesn’t fit well in the same starting lineup as Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire, a move across the border would be a crippling career move.
                So playing in a situation whereby he doesn't fit well is better for his PLAYING career than going somewhere where he COULD flourish? Please.

Since the 2002-2003 campaign, Toronto has put together only one winning season. They advanced past the first round just once in franchise history. And that occurred way back in the Vinsanity days.
                And yet the Knicks made the playoffs as a 7th seed this year losing 4-1; made the playoffs last year as an 8th seed losing 4-0. Prior to that the last playoff appearance was in 2003-2004 losing 4-0 to New Jersey. That was after missing the playoffs for a couple of seasons losing 3-2 to Toronto in 2000-01. The last series New York won was in 1999-2000 and they went just went 12 years between a playoff win.

Come on, man.

In New York’s massive market, Linsanity flourishes. But a lack of success—an inevitable outcome in Toronto—would smother Lin’s popularity.
                Clearly what one considers success is highly questionable given how 'successful' the Knicks have been over the last 13 years. I am not questioning New York being a massive market, much bigger than Toronto. HOwever, Toronto is the largest Canadian market and 4th largest in North America. They have a huge Asian community in the GTA. The Asian continent would also follow his every move. This all neglects the fact the Raptors market extends over the country of Canada.

Another come on, man.

Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan are solid players, but unless the Raptors hit big in the 2012 NBA draft—and I mean Anthony Davis, Michael-Kidd Gilchrist big—they won’t develop into a contender anytime in the near future.

New York, on the other hand, is one well-executed trade away from contending for a championship. Re-sign Lin and Steve Novak, swap Anthony or Stoudemire for a star that doesn’t demand the basketball in his hands to be effective and the Knicks will be well on their way to domination.
                New York has no first round draft pick. They have the worst contract in the NBA in Amar'e. Barring an appeal by the players union they have $3M to fill out their roster this summer and minimum contracts. If they give a full MLE to Lin they lose Smith and Novak (unless they sign for minimum) and will have a hard cap of $74M next year.

Oh yeah, the Knicks are in a great place with their roster. Come on, man.

But even if the Knicks choose to pursue Steve Nash like the Los Angeles Times’ Chuck Schilken reports they’ll consider doing, Lin has better options than the Raptors.

Even Forbes’ Allen St. John speculated that Lin would fit right in with the new-look Brooklyn Nets if when Deron Williams leaves for greener pastures.

Nearly anywhere—New York, Brooklyn, the Portland Trail Blazers—would be a better landing spot for Lin than in Toronto.
                So what is the logic again? Oh right. There is none. Uninformed ignorance is what this article is. Luckily it is right where it belongs: on Bleacher Report.

Comment

• yeah that's a garbage article
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• lol Matt, I was going to do exactly what you did. That is, quote each sentence, then rip it to shreds. But I exhausted my patience with the first mouse click. Kudos to you!

If you look at the writer's bio page, it's revealed that he's just some community college kid, with no reputable writing pedigree whatsoever. He's got aspirations of becoming a pro sports writer, but a Kent Brockman danish-fetcher seems more appropriate.

EDIT: BTW, you should post your rebuttal in the article's comments section. I'm curious to see how he responds (if at all).
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Tue May 15, 2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• The writer doesn't realize that Dolan uses NBA2K12 to validate all his trade proposal ideas. To be fair I will point out that this is an upgrade over his former software suit, NBA Live 10. He is making progress is all I'm trying to say. I mean he has all the sophomores and rookies in there now and we all know 2K Sports rates their players more accurately than EA Sports.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Tue May 15, 2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: elaborated

Comment

• They'll lose Smith, Novak ... and don't forget to add Landry Fields to that list ... scary times ahead in NYK.
                        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• they gotta trade Carmelo since Amare will be next to impossible to trade. They got enough pieces to contend in 3 years if they would just excercise some damn patience. They rushed over spent and now they are fucked and all their good role players are going to walk
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            And yet the Knicks made the playoffs as a 7th seed this year losing 4-1; made the playoffs last year as an 8th seed losing 4-0. Prior to that the last playoff appearance was in 2003-2004 losing 4-0 to New Jersey. That was after missing the playoffs for a couple of seasons losing 3-2 to Toronto in 2000-01. The last series New York won was in 1999-2000 and they went just went 12 years between a playoff win.

Come on, man.
                            Don't forget that this year yielded their first playoff win since 2001. Longest playoff losing streak in NBA history.
                            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• At least they got a damaged Iman Shumpert lol.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Frankly, as a fans we shouldn't want the team we cheer for to have priorities set to milking gimmicks instead of winning games. Further, if the MLSE board demanded Colangelo sign Lin that's the minute I boycott the team. That's the very same crap which led to the team stinking for most of the last decade and it's the very same crap they promised not to get involved in again. Number crunchers count money, basketball minds make basketball decisions. Deviate and you're headed for major troubles.
                                Look at it this way. Raptors are never going to be a big market team in the way the organization is run currently. We cannot afford 2/3 superstars like Miami,lakers,etc. But if we bring in players with international appeal this may change eventually. With the way he has been playing Lin may actually be worth his contract.

Edit : Remember the last time we were showing some potential - Vinsanity?
                                Last edited by draftedraptor; Tue May 15, 2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X