2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Just hoping for a draft 2 YEARS from now is reaching down pretty low, I think the raptors should stop going lottery bound after next years draft. I think we could too with both our lithuanian and whichever superstar we get next year. I hate the idea (im sure our young core does to) of sticking around the basement of the league for another 3 years.
    I was using historical measure, otherwise I wouldve said the kings, or wolves. Clips are looking real bright these days infact.
    I don't disagree. I just hope the Raptors get a potential superstar next year.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
      Can we do that the year after this year? I kind of wanted us to send a little orphaned blind Chinese girl with leprosy and tourette syndrome for the lottery this year.

Plus the NFL system can't be rigged by a spiteful commissioner, what fun is that?
      ahahahahaha. we wouldve won it for sure.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Can we do that the year after this year? I kind of wanted us to send a little orphaned blind Chinese girl with leprosy and tourette syndrome for the lottery this year.

Plus the NFL system can't be rigged by a spiteful commissioner, what fun is that?
        I'm not so sure such a smart business man would intentionally look to alienate a 35 million people market. Especially seeing how his most recent quest has been globalization of the NBA brand. Then there's the little tid bit about him not being a dictator/owner of the NBA and can be fired by the owners at any time.

Comment

The spite is the collective weapon of the 29 other franchises versus an unsuspecting sacrificial lamb. STERN is the personification of a union of owners. He represents their interest and their interest only.

The fact I don't like him and would love to refract a stream of urine off his face while never really needing to point up is just a demonstration of my personal frustration with the corporate element in this game.

Maybe its even my anger at my own stupidity for getting hooked on this opiate while avoiding real opiates. (and thinking I was being a good boy)
          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 7, 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

The spite is the collective weapon of the 29 other franchises versus an unsuspecting sacrificial lamb. STERN is the personification of a union of owners. He represents their interest and their interest only.
            Of course he does. That's his job.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Not that OKC is the be all and end all in terms of rebuild but to just give perspective:

After 2 years out of the playoffs they had nothing to show from the draft.

2007 - Durant

2008 - Westbrook

2009 - Harden/Ibaka

2010 - playoffs as 8th seed

My point? Patience is easier said than done.
              2009 - DeRozan

2010 - Davis

2011 - Valanciunas

2012 - lottery pick

2013 - 7th seed

This is my prediction

Comment

2012 Draft

Early, i know but after following the fiba jam i know 2 things, big val is going to be a fantastic center for years to come and jeremy lamb is going to be a allstar for years to come. to the point im kind of rethinking drafting a 3 is our #1 priority. if we get lamb at the 2 we can slide derozen to the 3. yes i agree with the general sentiment that hes not well suited for it but realistically how much worse is his defense going to really be at the 3? lamb on the other hand is a elite defender with a 7'1 wingspan which is absolutely unheard of and a fantastic scorer. extremely clutch, too.

if im BC im doing everything i possibly can to get another top 10-14 draft pick so i can get my hands on lamb and one of the pg's.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Not that OKC is the be all and end all in terms of rebuild but to just give perspective:

After 2 years out of the playoffs they had nothing to show from the draft.

2007 - Durant

2008 - Westbrook

2009 - Harden/Ibaka

2010 - playoffs as 8th seed

My point? Patience is easier said than done.
                  They drafted a top-5 player in the NBA. Raptors got DD and Davis.

If you're preaching patience it's gonna take a lot longer than that.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post

But if the Raptors end up getting their franchise player in the 2012 draft, then they'll be WAY ahead of the THunder when they drafted Durant. Obviously it hinges on one draft, but that's unfortunately how the NBA works.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post

Seriously? Who knows what Toronto is going to draft in the next 2 seasons or what DD's, Davis', or JV's ceiling will be.

The point was, and still is, the season or two before getting a top 5 pick SEA/OKC had nothing to show (Sene). Toronto has DeRozan and Davis.

2005: Petro at #26 (playoffs)
                      2006: Sene at #10
                      2007: Durant/Green at #2/#5
                      2008: Westbrook at #4
                      2009: Harden/Ibaka at #3/#24
                      2010: Aldrich and Playoffs

2008: pick traded (playoffs)
                      2009: DeRozan #9
                      2010: Davis #13
                      2011: JV #5
                      2012: ??
                      2013: ?? (Playoffs?)
                      2014: Playoffs?

Hopefully that spells out what I mean by patience. The Raptors got what the Thunder desperately needed despite their high draft picks - a true C. While the Raps don't have a Durant I think JV has more upside than Perkins. Our Durant and Westbrook might be coming in 2012 or 2013. Or maybe Bayless finally 'gets' it Chauncey-style. Or DD evolves similar to Joe Johnson (but he could always shoot) or DD adds range later in his career (Jordan-style - please note I am not saying DD could be MJ) or ED becomes a legit PF or James Johnson becomes like Diaw (sitting on the bench in ATL and picked up in a trade).

This is further explanation of what I mean by patience. Enjoy watching the individual players and team grow. Hopefully they will turn in to a contender but that will be based on the draft/trades/development. None of the above may pan out or maybe things turn out better or worse - who knows?

All I know is the Raptors are in a much better place than they were a season ago and even 2 seasons ago (given the benefit of hindsight). This last season, while only producing 22 wins, was as a whole season the most enjoyable season of Raptor basketball I have watched since 2007.

I'm sure Thunder fans and analysts were pretty bummed in 2009 with all the talent and only 23 wins - and that was after #2, #5, #4 draft picks and just picking up #3 and #24.

Comment

• Seriously.

I'm all about building through the draft. Especially since there really isn't any other option for TO. I'm just bitching about how much the Raps need a franchise player in order to be like the Thunder. And honestly, they better they get him next year cause DD and Davis are gonna be getting better and the Raps are gonna be getting less lottery balls every year. Thunder had that advantage where Durant was the 1st of the core they drafted, and everything else was sweet sweet gravy. I'm just scared the Raps could end up being the next Pacers or Reckets or something.

But yeah, you never know. Raps could pull a Chicago one year and score Rose (they finished 9th that year). Or do something like Memphis, getting lots of good young players then bringin in Z-Bo.

Sorry I'm a little all over the place. I guess my point is if you want the Thunder model you NEED (all caps) a franchise player. And realistically the door to getting one through the draft is closing since the players the Raps have now are getting better.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• I will be a happy man if Brian can get a second lottery pick in 2012. We need our franchise player and you have a much better chance of selecting one with 2 picks than just one. The problem I have is that I have no faith in Brian when it comes to getting a second pick. All I've seen him do is trade away picks or just take the pick that was given to him.

It would have been nice to see some action in the 2011 draft, but he just kept his pick and used it. That is why I don't have much faith in him getting another pick in 2012 - but if he can hire a GM that is willing to make moves during the draft, then I would feel more optimistic.

The Thunder got Durant which was lucky.. but they also got Green for trading Ray Allen.

If only Brian could summon the courage to trade away Bargnani for another pick. I have a few suggestions that can help him out.

Comment

Seriously.

I'm all about building through the draft. Especially since there really isn't any other option for TO. I'm just bitching about how much the Raps need a franchise player in order to be like the Thunder. And honestly, they better they get him next year cause DD and Davis are gonna be getting better and the Raps are gonna be getting less lottery balls every year. Thunder had that advantage where Durant was the 1st of the core they drafted, and everything else was sweet sweet gravy. I'm just scared the Raps could end up being the next Pacers or Reckets or something.

But yeah, you never know. Raps could pull a Chicago one year and score Rose (they finished 9th that year). Or do something like Memphis, getting lots of good young players then bringin in Z-Bo.

Sorry I'm a little all over the place. I guess my point is if you want the Thunder model you NEED (all caps) a franchise player. And realistically the door to getting one through the draft is closing since the players the Raps have now are getting better.
                            All valid points - and I apologize if I am all over the place in what is coming.

Luckiliy next year is proving to be a deep draft (unless the age limit is bumped - that would be a kick in the gonads) and what I trust most in Colangelo is his drafting.

I hear your point and 100% agree - they need a franchise player.

A couple of things that make me optimistic:

1) end of that DD highlight reel in another thread, Ed says something to the effect of in a couple of years we'll be scary - seems like he is in it for the longer term.
                            2) The younger players, DD especially, seems to legitimately like Toronto. Bayless, too. Ed Davis I am unsure of. Toronto is a great city. I'm sure they realize if they win they'll get noticed - if they even care about that (i.e. are they more like Duncan or Bosh?).
                            3) the Raps have the hardest position to acquire talent in basketball wrapped up moving forward (C). Hopefully Jonas fulfills potential and expectations (this statement is not based on the hype of the U19's).
                            4) when you have a franchise talent, you know it very quickly. The Raptors have two years to worry about DD and 3 for ED - add another year if restricted free agency remains in effect.
                            5) the Raps will have opportunities to offer extensions before rookie deals are up - even Bosh and Carter didn't turn down their first extensions.
                            6) the nay-sayers will definitely disagree but I do believe there is a culture change coming to Toronto. It has been evident in the types of trades and players brought in the last 2 years. It is evident from BC's comments towards Bargnani. It is evident from the new coach.
                            7) Everyone on the team, coaches, and management, minus Bargnani and Amir, are on short-term deals (i.e. 2 years or less) and/or rookie deals. They all have something to prove with big implications if not. I'd rather back people in those situations.
                            8) there is good financial flexibility moving forward and decent assets.

Alright, it turned in to more than a few things - oops.

Comment

I guess my point is if you want the Thunder model you NEED (all caps) a franchise player. And realistically the door to getting one through the draft is closing since the players the Raps have now are getting better.
                              If you want to win a Championship, the only realistic models involve getting a franchise player.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                All valid points - and I apologize if I am all over the place in what is coming.

Luckiliy next year is proving to be a deep draft (unless the age limit is bumped - that would be a kick in the gonads) and what I trust most in Colangelo is his drafting.

I hear your point and 100% agree - they need a franchise player.

A couple of things that make me optimistic:

1) end of that DD highlight reel in another thread, Ed says something to the effect of in a couple of years we'll be scary - seems like he is in it for the longer term.
                                2) The younger players, DD especially, seems to legitimately like Toronto. Bayless, too. Ed Davis I am unsure of. Toronto is a great city. I'm sure they realize if they win they'll get noticed - if they even care about that (i.e. are they more like Duncan or Bosh?).
                                3) the Raps have the hardest position to acquire talent in basketball wrapped up moving forward (C). Hopefully Jonas fulfills potential and expectations (this statement is not based on the hype of the U19's).
                                4) when you have a franchise talent, you know it very quickly. The Raptors have two years to worry about DD and 3 for ED - add another year if restricted free agency remains in effect.
                                5) the Raps will have opportunities to offer extensions before rookie deals are up - even Bosh and Carter didn't turn down their first extensions.
                                6) the nay-sayers will definitely disagree but I do believe there is a culture change coming to Toronto. It has been evident in the types of trades and players brought in the last 2 years. It is evident from BC's comments towards Bargnani. It is evident from the new coach.
                                7) Everyone on the team, coaches, and management, minus Bargnani and Amir, are on short-term deals (i.e. 2 years or less) and/or rookie deals. They all have something to prove with big implications if not. I'd rather back people in those situations.
                                8) there is good financial flexibility moving forward and decent assets.

Alright, it turned in to more than a few things - oops.
                                Yeah man I agree with everything you said. And to be clear too, if the Raps don't find a franchise player in the draft it's not the end of the world. If you got lots of assets you can trade for talent. Or bring one in like the Griz did.
                                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                                X