Greivis Vasquez, or Jose Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    Because they both speak Spanish? Because they're both white?

Jose's game and Vasquez's game are nothing alike. Nothing.
    They were supposed to be though. The white/spanish speaking thing, of course. But also they're supposed to be pass first point guards who can run the floor and excel in the pick and roll but can't guard other players 1 on 1.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      If the comparison is in a vacuum, then it's Calderon without hesitation.

But in terms of fit with this current roster, I can't see how anyone could choose Calderon. Lowry is our alpha dog. Calderon being too good for permanent backup duties, and not good enough for permanent starter duties, had a tendency to neuter Lowry (unintentionally of course).
      This. The whole "platoon" idea for sharing a position rarely works in sports, imho. NHL teams try it when they have two goalies not quite good enough, and the Raps tried it for years with Jose. It was never a positive thing.

Players have to be comfortable in their role. They need a routine - they need to know their minutes and when they'll be playing each game. They need to not be taking questions constantly about whether they "deserve" to be starting over a teammate, or vice versa.

A true back-up/role player is also much cheaper.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        This. The whole "platoon" idea for sharing a position rarely works in sports, imho. NHL teams try it when they have two goalies not quite good enough, and the Raps tried it for years with Jose. It was never a positive thing.

Players have to be comfortable in their role. They need a routine - they need to know their minutes and when they'll be playing each game. They need to not be taking questions constantly about whether they "deserve" to be starting over a teammate, or vice versa.

A true back-up/role player is also much cheaper.
        I agree, but to add to this idea, Jose's a great player, but isn't a complete player. The hole in his game on the defensive end is so huge. For Jose to excel he needs to be on a team that can cover that up for him, and starting AB meant there was no big man in the paint to check his man once he blew by Jose.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Ricky Rubio.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Ricky Rubio.
            If only he could shoot...

Comment

Juan Pablo Montoya
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                If only he could shoot...
                Or play D
                #BringBackUzoh

Comment

How many times did Vasquez say "fun" in that interview? I think he might possibly be having fun out there.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                    How many times did Vasquez say "fun" in that interview? I think he might possibly be having fun out there.
                    You can tell by how animated he is on the court. It's been a while since we had a player who shows that much emotion in game.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                      How a guy could not have fun making millions upon millions annually to play a game you love in front of millions of admirers.

If they don't think it's "fun", the world needs plenty of plumbers.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        How a guy could not have fun making millions upon millions annually to play a game you love in front of millions of admirers.

LOL, you're on point today with these posts, Keon.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's still a job that has lots of uncertainty and keeps you away from your family. Most fans would probably kill to be a professional athlete, but to them, it's still a job that is very demanding (and lots of their money goes to taxes, agents, PR, lawyers, etc...). I get what you're saying, but that's quite a generalized comment, with such a simple view of their profession.

He's a guy that went from being a starter and MIP, to a starter on another team, lost his starting role, got traded and became a backup. He moved from NO, to Sacramento, to Toronto, all in less than a season.

To hear him say he's having fun in Toronto, I think speaks volumes about the situation and atmosphere on the Raptors. I'm sure lots of players in his situation (especially with the perceived 'dreaded' move to Toronto) would be sulking and looking forward to getting out of town.

Comment

Vasquez,

1) He fits better with this team
                            2) He's younger
                            3) He's not a magnet for controversies
                            4) He doesn't wind down the shot clock
                            5) He balances his passing/shooting

Comment

I don't think the two can be compared at least at the moment. Jose is a much superior PG.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Not really worth a new thread, but Vasquez is going to be on Fan590 in 25 minutes. Out of town go to fan590.com and hit listen live...Not sure I'm going to listen, just a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                                X