Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Demar one of the three best midranged shooting guards in the league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Wade is also a better ball-handler enabling him to get into the lane at will.
    That's the point

Why are we comparing Derozan to Wade right now?

Look, Devlin's comment was idiotic for a number of reasons:

1. It was a skewed stat to make put him in the same breath as other top players in the league
    2. he thinks fans are dumb enough to place any relevance on this ranking
    3. It was DD's first decent game in a while and it was blowing his game out of proportion
    4. He went out of his way to say that "we know that metrics weigh the 3 pt line, FT line and layups, but if you want a guy that can score in mid-range, he is one of the best"...there's a reason why metrics put emphasis on these types of points
    5. He's not ranked this High on the mid range list because every guard in the league is competing to be the most effective mid range player, he is ranked that high because top players are trying NOT TO. They are being told to take 3's instead of long 2's, or to drive to the basket.

Overall, the most irritating thing about it is that he (like the rest of the raps broadcast crew) likes to try to make us believe that Derozan is even in the same realm as a guy like Wade, and then we sit here like suckers actually debating it!

If you look at the numbers (ANY numbers), it is fairly clear. Derozan is not the worst shooting guard in the league but hes also not even close to the best.

He is like JJ Reddick, Vince Carter (today, not old VC) a little bit better than T-Ross and about the same as Alan Anderson

Will he get better? probably, but we have no reason to think that he will ever be anything more than a 3rd option on a playoff team (at his absolute peak)

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      If DeRozan were to start taking it strong everytime and try to "dunk it on their head", as Jack alluded to, he'd drastically increase his finishing at the rim and trips to the foul line, all while forcing D to sag off him which would result in more open looks.
      As I pointed out above, he's 12th in the League in the FTM and 16th in FTA.
      While I'd certainly appreciate more, I'm not worried about his ability to get to the line.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        As I pointed out above, he's 12th in the League in the FTM and 16th in FTA.
        While I'd certainly appreciate more, I'm not worried about his ability to get to the line.
        Fair enough, I just wish he was going there to finish a lot more "and 1's", instead of to shoot a pair of FT. Just think how high ranked he'd be if he was more consistent and aggressively drove into players to finish, instead of fading away so often!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Fair enough, I just wish he was going there to finish a lot more "and 1's", instead of to shoot a pair of FT. Just think how high ranked he'd be if he was more consistent and aggressively drove into players to finish, instead of fading away so often!
          once players know demars comming in hard everytime youll start to see defences avoid contact more aswell..as it stands now nobodys worried about getting run over & crowned by demar & in turn they contest every drive that much harder.. he bails defences out alot by shying away from contact

Comment

Since when was not being able to shoot more than 20 feet cool?

Comment

if he develops like he does in nba2k13, he should become the best mid range shooter! with an ability to create his own shot. just think kobe without the 3 point ability.
              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                if he develops like he does in nba2k13, he should become the best mid range shooter! with an ability to create his own shot. just think kobe without the 3 point ability.
                Kobe didn't develop his 3 point shot til later in his career. And even then, Kobe had 2 seasons with very Demar-esque percentages, and owns a career percentage of 35% .. I wouldn't say thats completely out of reach for Demar.

Comment

DeMar DeRozan is the next Kobe

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    Lol Well I'm not trying to say that either.
                    But I don't think his continued growth and improvement, in all areas and facets of the game, should be overlooked.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      /me - wide smile.
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Yes. No question. He is of the rare players in the league that has used it to their advantage. Teams force players to the in-between, no paint, no 3's. When you have a player that can damage a team from the area outside the paint, inside the line, that's pretty good. Regardless of percentages, attempts, etc. He's one of the only players to do it anyway.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I high percentage midrange game is very potent in this league.
                          As a player matures, his percentages are most likely to increase, I think Demar can be very potent one day.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                          X