No announcement yet.

Raptors Uniquely Positioned to Trade for 2nd Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny how human thinking works. Picking at 8, you're lamenting all the guys you'll just miss out on. Given the opportunity to pick 2nd (while taking on extra money), it's hmmph, I don't think there's somebody I really want. It's almost like the perfect pick (other than 1) to trade for is 3-5 and then you can just get one of a bunch of good guys without having to give up too much. Then again, I'd probably find something to complain about then.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      The only one that interest me at all is #5. I wouldn't want to giveup the #8 pick AND take on Thomas' contract, just to move up 6 spots. #4 would never work, as Jordan already vetoed one trade for Calderon.

I would strongly consider a variation of #5:

To Charlotte
      - #37 (and/or perhaps 2013 1st round pick)
      - Davis
      - $7.3M TPE

To Toronto
      - Thomas

I'd love to see Toronto wind up with #2 & #8... either to draft two players, or to allow them to trade for Rudy Gay AND still have a lottery pick!!!

But man, that Thomas contract is FUGLY! I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it.

----

ESPN TRADE MACHINE --> has been updated to reflect what teams will look like on July 1st
      I don't think Charlotte would trade with us unless we give them the 8th pick. As much as they want to give up Tyrus Thomas, if they do this trade, they are still not better than they were last season. The trade you have given, is a Raptors fan's wet dream

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        I think I'm the only one on the board who would, but it's only because I think Thomas has actual talent that Casey could harness.
        Agreed. If Casey can get Bargnani to play at least some defense, Casey might actually be able to get Tyrus Thomas to play better...

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
          only way id take tyrus is to move 1 of our bad contracts in the process

otherwise id keep our pick
          What bad contracts do you consider the Raptors to have?

Bargnani is debatable but I would say no.
          Amir is not as bad as people think. It is not guaranteed for the final yaer and was never the 5 years/$34M that initially was reported.
          JJ, DeMar, ED still on rookie contracts.
          Kleiza is debatable. Personally I think his contract is reasonable as an 8-9 guy off the bench who can play SF/PF and shoot the 3.
          Jose's was bad but with one year left and a productive season last year, not so much.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious who you think one of TOR's bad contracts are.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
            Well you'd have to think about it, we ARE getting MKG in return. That is reason enough to take the deal IMO.
            2, the number of jumpshots MKG hits when he shoots about 10 of them.

Comment

Does Thomas playing better under Casey have a higher ceiling than either Davis or Amir? I just don't see it.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                I don't think Charlotte would trade with us unless we give them the 8th pick. As much as they want to give up Tyrus Thomas, if they do this trade, they are still not better than they were last season. The trade you have given, is a Raptors fan's wet dream
                I totally agree. I think Charlotte would say no to a deal without #8, but I think Toronto would say no to a deal with #8 AND Thomas' contract (unless perhaps Amir went the other way, to make salary much more balanced). I doubt a deal will get done between Charlotte & Toronto for exactly that reason.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  What bad contracts do you consider the Raptors to have?

Bargnani is debatable but I would say no.
                  Amir is not as bad as people think. It is not guaranteed for the final yaer and was never the 5 years/$34M that initially was reported.
                  JJ, DeMar, ED still on rookie contracts.
                  Kleiza is debatable. Personally I think his contract is reasonable as an 8-9 guy off the bench who can play SF/PF and shoot the 3.
                  Jose's was bad but with one year left and a productive season last year, not so much.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious who you think one of TOR's bad contracts are.
                  u basicly just named them for me.. although debatable Jose,Amir or Klieza would be in that catagory for me..there not as bad as tyrus & his deal but atleast it would clear some cap space out in the process.

id prefer to just pick 8 or trade it all together for proven talent. i was just humoring the idea for a second..LOL

Comment

So if we have to include the pick to make it work for Charlotte, and have to include Amir to make it work for us, then what would the squad look like potentially next year. I'm assuming we land Steve Nash. We either deal Calderon to Chicago for Korver + Brewer + Future 1st (Both are unguaranteed contracts and could be cut for cheap if we want), or amnesty him (probably some more scenarios out there). The team then looks like this.

PG: Nash, Machado (37th pick)
                    SG: DeRozan, Forbes
                    SF: MKG, JJ, Kleiza
                    PF: Bargs, Davis, Kleiza/JJ
                    C: Jonas, Thomas, Gray/Alabi

Alternatively, put Beal in at starting SG and slide DeRozan to starting SF. We'd still have significant cap space to go after another or several FA.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      I want no part of Thomas and that massive deal he has.
                      To mean this isn't a no brainer rejection. The Raptors could potentially land a superstar in the trade. TT does have three years left though... This all comes down to what you feel the net impact will be.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        There's a massive difference between Luke Walton and Ty Thomas. Walton is a mature, team player that knew his role on the team. Thomas had an altercation with his coach in April. Even his own teammates question is maturity. All of that headache for Kidd-Gilchrist? No thanks.

And again, for whatever reason it's failing on you is that Charlotte is in dire of big men but they want to give him away. How does that not strike you as alarming? It means that the kid has real issues. Why should we take that on, and at that salary to boot?
                        Well then it seems that we disagree.

Comment

I think there is no way Charlotte would go for any of the options, therefore I disagree that the "Raptors Uniquely Positioned to Trade for 2nd Pick".

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/charlotte.htm

First, assuming that all player options and qualifying offers are made, plus the salary of the number 2 pick still puts the Cats at under $50 mil for the upcoming season...clearly a team not in need of cap relief.

Second, if they decide to get rid of Thomas' salary, they can easily amnesty him. Because the Cats have not used their amnesty provision yet, meaning they could easily use it on Thomas. The only other logical salary to be amnestied in the Cats roster is Diop who has an expiring $7 mil. Everyone else is on their rookie contracts.

Third, if they decide to amnesty Diop and package Thomas with the #2, there is no way they would do this without picking up a lottery pick in return. This eliminates options 4 and 5. The Bobcats are in a rebuilding mode and are in need of draft picks as evidenced by the trade with Detroit when they picked up a future first rounder. The trade also shows they are not in need of cap relief having acquired a larger and lengthier contract (Gordon's) in exchange for an expring one (Magette's). But instead, they are using their cap space to acquire draft picks.

Lastly, even if Toronto sends them the 8th pick in return, it still does not make sense for the Bobcats. As have often been said, this is a 5 player draft (Davis, Robinson, Beal, MKG and Barnes), 6 if you include Drummond as some would argue. Why would the Bobcats drop to #8 and lose a chance to pick any of these guys???

As Colangelo stated yesterday, dangling top picks "creates a bidding war" , which I believe does happen. This puts a team dangling the pick in a position of power. I think the most logical trade partner for the Cats would be Cleveland and their #4 and #24 picks. The Cavs would ensure themselves of picking MKG/Beal and the Cats would still have the opportunity of picking Robinson while acquiring another lottery pick. If the Cavs agree to take Thomas' contract instead of giving up #24, it would be a bonus for the Cats.

Please be gentle...first time poster

Comment

I would take TT's contract to get MKG. In a heartbeat. JV and MKG could an awesome defensive pairing. Dude competes. And really you would only have to deal with TT's contract for a couple years. That's awesome trade bait on the third (ykno when JV and MKG start getting awesome).
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I thought one of the great things about the cap space was the ability to take on a bad contract in order to grab a pick or move up?

Thomas' contract sucks but this is supposed to be a rebuilding team anyways. It would be an expiring contract after 2 years during which the young guys are developing anyways and would end right before Val and MKG (or whoever) would be extended. Makes absolute sense to me to take it if it means the #2 pick.

If Thomas is useful, great. If not who cares. Bench him, buy him out, give him the Blatche treatment and send him home. He's just the box that comes with the ring.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                                I would take TT's contract to get MKG. In a heartbeat. JV and MKG could an awesome defensive pairing. Dude competes. And really you would only have to deal with TT's contract for a couple years. That's awesome trade bait on the third (ykno when JV and MKG start getting awesome).
                                In order to imrpove the team drastically for many years we have to make bold moves.

Comment

Working...
                                X