No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard the interview in ITA (I'm from Milan as you may remember) and can be translate like this to me:

AB: Like I already said thousand time I want stay in TO and I'll should prefer to play PF. But after BC's final year interview I will wait and see what will be.

maybe you are underestimating the word "political" that here in Italy has tons of meanings

he is asking to not asking more this!

in the first part of the sentence he also said that he prefer to stay here and that he want to demonstrate that he can be a better defender/rebounder.

Hope I was able to explain myself

This is the first part of the interview where he mentioned "political" and "hot place"
    Andrea Bargnani for Sky Italy
    Last edited by teoserio; Thu May 26, 2011, 04:22 AM.
    Let's go Raptors!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      If I were him, I wouldn't care what someone says if they write with "2's" and "u's" instead of spelling of the whole word, and doesn't know how to spell Minnesota.
      On the VERY slim chance he did read that, he's most likely laughing at you, because his English is propably better than yours.

But his commercial is REALLY bad.

i know i'm laughing at him. Hahahaha

Comment

• Nick wrote: View Post
        Wow your gay and a chump. When in the hell did anybody ever hate on Bargs for being out of shape? Raptors are the next team on the move because of stupid fans like you. Apparently nobody is good enough to play in Toronto... Nice standards!
        I'm glad most posters don't resort to such petty attacks when a good argument is out of reach. Props to Tim for not stooping to this low level in retaliation.

Comment

• teoserio wrote: View Post
          I heard the interview in ITA (I'm from Milan as you may remember) and can be translate like this to me:

AB: Like I already said thousand time I want stay in TO and I'll should prefer to play PF. But after BC's final year interview I will wait and see what will be.

maybe you are underestimating the word "political" that here in Italy has tons of meanings

he is asking to not asking more this!

in the first part of the sentence he also said that he prefer to stay here and that he want to demonstrate that he can be a better defender/rebounder.

Hope I was able to explain myself

This is the first part of the interview where he mentioned "political" and "hot place"
          Andrea Bargnani for Sky Italy
          Thanks Teoserio. Was hoping we'd get an in house translation.
          So in your opinion, his comments were simply taken out of context?
          Seems like he is trying to make a joke, more than make a serious statement.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
            It's not even the same ownership, though. And they've had very little input since Colangelo took over.
            Im not sure if you can really prove that any of the decisions Colangelo made were never at the tiniest bit influenced by the owners. They may say that theyre not influencing BC in anyway, but if you yourself is heavily invested in something thats really not producing great results, will you just sit back and not even say a word? I highly doubt that. It may not be as grand as "trade for this guy" or "sign this guy" but a word or two that would impact the way BC is running the team is considered influencing.

Sam Mitchell certainly didn't allow Bargnani to not rebound or play defense, no matter what management might have said. And he was his coach the first 2.5 years. As for Triano, I know a lot of fans around here don't like him, but he's smart enough to know you're not going to win much without your big man doing the dirty work. Besides, I've seen Triano yell at Bargnani for not doing that exact thing.

And I don't think management is going to micromanage things from behind closed doors. That simply doesn't make any basketball sense. Why would they do that?

I also think that you're forgiving the player far too much. If I'm Bargnani, and management tells me that I don't have to rebound or play defense, I'm smart enough to know you aren't going to win that way. This isn't Nazi soldiers following orders, here. If Bargnani doesn't have a high enough basketball IQ to realize that's a horrible way for a big man to play, then the fault lies with him, and he should be shipped off immediately.

For more reading on Bargnani, I just posted this on him...
            http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...s-of-bargnani/
            The buzz was Mitchell got fired for not playing Bargnani enough, and if your coach gets fired while youre still on the team, i guess that constitutes that even if you are not a perfect player, youre still doing some good things, otherwise, they wouldve traded you out instead of replacing the coach. What im trying to say is BC sided with Bargnani, so i dont think he was on his case much earlier than you were assuming.

If you look at his stats, Bargnani was getting 3.9 rebs during year 1 and improved to 6.2 in year 4. He was avging .8 blks his 1st year and jumped to 1.4 his 4th year. Im not saying his numbers were great, but he was showing improvement from year to year, which, i presume, was the result of him putting in effort. Now in his 5th year, when he becomes the focal point of everything, he regresses. What changed? His effort? Maybe. The trainer's focus on his abilities to develop? Maybe. I think there were many, many factors on why he regressed, but clearly, he puts in the effort and time to improve as his stats clearly show, so i think there might be more things going on that just position and being lazy.

I think youre just isolating that fact that its just Bargnani who controls everything in his career, unfortunately, i dont think thats how it works in the NBA. Talent is first, then effort, but you are surrounded by trainers, nutritionist, coaches, assistant coaches, GMs who tell you on a daily basis how to move, eat, post up, defend, etc etc. I get where youre coming from with the initiative factor, but not everybody has initiative. And I dont think management told him not to play defense or rebound, but they probably, unconsciously instilled in him that they want him to make an effort MORE in scoring rather than rebounding and defending. And as ive said before, before the Raptors drafted him, he already played 4 years in the Euroleague, not even amateur ball, and he was never a big rebounder or defender, he was always branded as a scorer. and starting at such a young age, it probably got instilled in him that i am and will always be a scorer.

Comment

• To the people calling for Bargnani's head because of his comments: how many of you actually speak 2 languages? Do any of you understand how easy it is for something to get taken out of context when said by a non-native speaker? Whether Bargs said it in English himself, or someone translated word for word, it doesn't give us a clear understanding of what he meant. Languages have very different nuances, hence the saying "lost in translation".

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                I'm glad most posters don't resort to such petty attacks when a good argument is out of reach. Props to Tim for not stooping to this low level in retaliation.
                What can i say, Tim W. brings out the best in everybody.

Something about the way he phrases his posts that kinda irks people. Ive had my discussions with Tim and in the beginning i was a little annoyed but once you know how he really is then youll understand his side.

Ive already told Tim before that he's too authoritative with his posts, like when he says, "I dont want this on my team", or "This is not how its done" etc etc and he acknowledge it. Overall, everyone has their own opinion so i think everybody just has to respect that.

Spread the love! hahaha

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                  Im not sure if you can really prove that any of the decisions Colangelo made were never at the tiniest bit influenced by the owners. They may say that theyre not influencing BC in anyway, but if you yourself is heavily invested in something thats really not producing great results, will you just sit back and not even say a word? I highly doubt that. It may not be as grand as "trade for this guy" or "sign this guy" but a word or two that would impact the way BC is running the team is considered influencing.
                  When Colangelo left Phoenix, one of the main reasons was that he had a meddlesome owner who wouldn't allow him to do what he wanted. Considering the level of respect around the league Colangelo had at the time, he could pretty much write his own ticket, and I guarantee one of them was that he had full control over all basketball decisions. If he felt otherwise, I don't see there would have been any way he would have re-upped.

The buzz was Mitchell got fired for not playing Bargnani enough, and if your coach gets fired while youre still on the team, i guess that constitutes that even if you are not a perfect player, youre still doing some good things, otherwise, they wouldve traded you out instead of replacing the coach. What im trying to say is BC sided with Bargnani, so i dont think he was on his case much earlier than you were assuming.

If you look at his stats, Bargnani was getting 3.9 rebs during year 1 and improved to 6.2 in year 4. He was avging .8 blks his 1st year and jumped to 1.4 his 4th year. Im not saying his numbers were great, but he was showing improvement from year to year, which, i presume, was the result of him putting in effort. Now in his 5th year, when he becomes the focal point of everything, he regresses. What changed? His effort? Maybe. The trainer's focus on his abilities to develop? Maybe. I think there were many, many factors on why he regressed, but clearly, he puts in the effort and time to improve as his stats clearly show, so i think there might be more things going on that just position and being lazy.

I think youre just isolating that fact that its just Bargnani who controls everything in his career, unfortunately, i dont think thats how it works in the NBA. Talent is first, then effort, but you are surrounded by trainers, nutritionist, coaches, assistant coaches, GMs who tell you on a daily basis how to move, eat, post up, defend, etc etc. I get where youre coming from with the initiative factor, but not everybody has initiative. And I dont think management told him not to play defense or rebound, but they probably, unconsciously instilled in him that they want him to make an effort MORE in scoring rather than rebounding and defending. And as ive said before, before the Raptors drafted him, he already played 4 years in the Euroleague, not even amateur ball, and he was never a big rebounder or defender, he was always branded as a scorer. and starting at such a young age, it probably got instilled in him that i am and will always be a scorer.
                  Lots of player's with "potential" have gotten coaches fired unjustly over the years. Colangelo had a lot more invested in Bargnani than he did Mitchell, who he didn't even hire in the first place. When Colangelo took over, Mitchell was already in place and many thought he would replace him, but he was under contract, so gave him a chance. he ended up winning Coach of the Year the first year under Colangelo. Are you going to fire him, then? Besides, Bargnani had a fairly decent rookie season. In his second year he regressed. And Mitchell was fired early the next season.

Maybe Colangelo thought Mitchell's tough love approach might help Bargnani, but when it was apparent it didn't, Colangelo tried a different approach. Under Triano, he was allowed to just go out and play.

And, unfortunately, Bargnani didn't improve as much as it seems. The improvements in rebounding and blocks were not due to Bargnani improving, but by him simply getting more playing time. If you look at his per 36 numbers, he slightly improved his rebounding, but not his blocks, steals or assists. His opponent PER didn't get any better and his defensive rating actually has gone down every year. The only area he's shown any consistent improvement in is scoring. And a lot of that is due to him getting more shots.

As for who is at fault, maybe he could have gotten better coaching and backing, but I have a real big problem when you blame others for your shortcomings. Unless Bargnani is a moron, and I don't think he is, it's been pretty obvious what he's needed to improve on every year. And he's been told this every year. Do you really want to keep a player that needs extra cajoling just to make basic improvements in his biggest areas of need? Especially when other plays don't seem to need it. DeRozan went into the summer knowing exactly what he needed to work on and made improvements in those areas. Same with Amir. Calderon even improved his defense. Hell, even Reggie realized he needs to take fewer shots and did just that.

It's like a girl whose boyfriend beats her when they fight, but apologizes about it and keeps saying he's going to change. At some point, the girl has to realize that it's not her, it's him.

Bargnani has had 5 years to show improvements in his two biggest areas of need and hasn't. At what point do you start to think that it's him, it's not us?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Something about the way he phrases his posts that kinda irks people. Ive had my discussions with Tim and in the beginning i was a little annoyed but once you know how he really is then youll understand his side.

Ive already told Tim before that he's too authoritative with his posts, like when he says, "I dont want this on my team", or "This is not how its done" etc etc and he acknowledge it. Overall, everyone has their own opinion so i think everybody just has to respect that.

Spread the love! hahaha
                    Ya, I can rub people the wrong way sometimes. It's a talent, what can I say. Apollo and I have had many disagreements that got a little heated, but it never resorted to immature namecalling and ignorant slurs.

On a side note, I'm surprised you get annoyed when I say, "I don't want that on my team". I always felt this was simply another way of saying, "in my opinion". I'm simply stating it's my preference.

Ironically, the persona I seem to have on forums like this are not at all what I tend to be like in real life. Well, not entirely, anyway. In real life I am a bit of a smartass, but I think the two words that are used most to describe me are easygoing and sarcastic. I actually tend to be the guy who gets along with just about everyone.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The buzz was Mitchell got fired for not playing Bargnani enough
                      There was more to it than that. Sam Mitchell wasn't a "yes man". He's a lot tougher and hardheaded than Jay Triano. Colangelo needs somebody who is going to carry out his vision of the Toronto Raptors without question and his vision of the Toronto Raptors back then was not tough, blue collar basketball. Sam Mitchell wanted them to play like he did as a professional but the problem was Colangelo wasn't giving him enough of those kind of players. LaMarcus Aldridge was more of that kind of player and so was Tyrus Thomas(I'm not saying either should or should not have been the #1) but Colangelo took Bargnani. Bargnani is the anti-Sam Mitchell. They were destined to fail together. From everything I read Sam did everything he could for Andrea to make him "get it" but he wasn't allowed to give Andrea the "tough love" that he needed. He did it anyway at times, benching him or chewing him out. I guess in Colangelo's books, putting a boot to Bargnani's butt is insubordination.

The funny thing is that the team they have now, excluding Bargnani and Calderon who both are probably done, would be a perfect fit for Sam Mitchell.

tbihis wrote: View Post

Spread the love! hahaha
                      I don't care who likes who or who dislikes who. All I care about is that we all treat each other with respect or at least be civil. Normally I would delete crap like Nick wrote but Tim handled it well and I felt it was important to leave Nick's post as an example of what not to do. If we delete junk posts like the one on the last page every time then no one takes anything away from it.

Comment

• My only regret was that Sam never got the chance to develop Rudy Gay along side of Bosh. I think he was the perfect coach for this type of player. I think it would have boosted both Gay's career and Mitchell's. Andrea was an odd match from the start.

I honestly think that tandem would have been much more productive to our city than what Bryan chose.
                        Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu May 26, 2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• I don't think Gay was seriously being talked about as a #1 back then though. Near the end it was a two horse show, Bargnani and Aldridge.

Comment

• Agreed. We were all about drafting Gay, till we got the 1st over all pick. Than we all started fantasizing and romancing the #1 selection.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Maybe we are thinking he is being prima donna when he is actually being realistic of his abilities.

I wonder if his questioning of role was along these lines:

I'm not a true C and there has never been a big banger with me to play PF or C,
                              I'm not a franchise player yet I advertised as one, and
                              I'm not paid like Kobe, LeBron and the crew, so quit expecting me to be like those guys.

In those cases, he has a point and it is fun devil's advocate.
                              Great point! Refreshing to hear some balanced opinions.

We all expected the Raps to be a bad team this year, but then when they played bad, dumb fans started piling all the blame on one guy (the best player!). The guy (Bargnani) was the center of attention for opposing defenses, was playing in the front-court with rookie and foul-prone hackers, and played for a team that wanted to tank (probably kinda hard to hustle when your franchise doesn't even want to win).

Individual defenders don't suddenly make teams great defensive teams (or terrible, in the case of 'bad' defenders); teams play good defense when the team has a good team-concept (coaching, and having all positions filled...ie. center), and most importantly, when the entire team actually plays as a 'team.' The Raptors are a collection of young, individual players. Is Bargnani a good defender?, absolutely not. But if he was on a real team, his defense would not be the topic of a fan forum discussion board.

Before fans start booing and breaking out the pitchforks, jettisoning yet another talented player, how about we realize that this team is presently young and incomplete. Bargnani isn't the savior, but he also isn't the cancer you guys are making him out to be.
                              Last edited by SCass; Fri May 27, 2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Thanks Teoserio. Was hoping we'd get an in house translation.
                                So in your opinion, his comments were simply taken out of context?
                                Seems like he is trying to make a joke, more than make a serious statement.
                                Absolutely. The interviewer is very smart (his name is Tranquillo tranlslated in english is Quite --> LOL) and all the discussion has had this imprinting.
                                Let's go Raptors!

Comment

Working...
                                X