No announcement yet.

Keep Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? I can understand the conversation of whether or not he should be traded, but anyone that can be Top 5 assists (consistently), #1 Ast/TO (year in and year out), is one of only 5 players to EVER be in the 50-40-90 club, is absolutely a Starting PG in this league. I don't even think there should be an argument over this. There are LOTS of PGs out there with semi-questionable defense, that DON'T average a Steal per Game as Jose does, nor are they able to put up the numbers that he does with ease.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      I agree, he was good off the bench, but only when TJ was here. They were an excellent ying-yang. TJ For fire, speed, and wild pace. Caldy for slow handed, cautious, controlled play. But I have noticed that playing with JJ, Caldy was not as good off the bench, nary a pale shadow of his former self.

Perhaps since he had a taste of the "good life" as a starter, it would be very difficult for him to play backup on this team.
      I disagree with some of that. He only had one season in Toronto before TJ got here and he was battling nagging injuries in that rookie campaign. It made it difficult for him to shoot with consistency and as a result he had nothing to keep teams honest. In the times he came off the bench after TJ left he again has battle nagging injuries. I don't know what else to say besides, when he's healthy, he can be one of the very best reserve PG's in the league. His poor defense isn't as much a liability when he's squaring off against reserves. That's a big bonus.

Comment

I think the bottom line is that he's going to be really hard to trade unless the Raps are including some other key pieces. After this year there's still 2 more years at about $10 mill a year. Take a look at all the teams in the playoffs right now and which teams are upgrading by getting Jose? I would say none.

The PG position is getting to be the deepest position in the league. I mean it's not like their stuck with Tinsley or TJ Ford, but I really think we should all get used to the idea of having Jose for at least one more year.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

They almost landed Tyson Chandler in the off-season with Jose Calderon as the center piece. I think his value around the league is higher than we value him...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I disagree with some of that. He only had one season in Toronto before TJ got here and he was battling nagging injuries in that rookie campaign. It made it difficult for him to shoot with consistency and as a result he had nothing to keep teams honest. In the times he came off the bench after TJ left he again has battle nagging injuries. I don't know what else to say besides, when he's healthy, he can be one of the very best reserve PG's in the league. His poor defense isn't as much a liability when he's squaring off against reserves. That's a big bonus.
            Actually that's true, he did have alot of injury woes during that time.

Comment

They almost landed Tyson Chandler in the off-season with Jose Calderon as the center piece. I think his value around the league is higher than we value him...
              I think you're right to some degree, but I also think the rest of the league is catching on. And the bobcats did back out and are prob happy that they did as DJ would be the preferred PG on any rebuilding team.

But yeah I see your point. It's just looking at other teams that it really doesn't make sense to make a trade for Jose. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                I think you're right to some degree, but I also think the rest of the league is catching on. And the bobcats did back out and are prob happy that they did as DJ would be the preferred PG on any rebuilding team.

But yeah I see your point. It's just looking at other teams that it really doesn't make sense to make a trade for Jose. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.
                The year Jose's contract was expiring there were rumors of half the league calling Colangelo about him.

Comment

The year Jose's contract was expiring there were rumors of half the league calling Colangelo about him.
                  Sorry my friend I don't really understand. You mean before it was extended? If that's the case then, yeah, I totally understand that. He was considered one of the top PG's in the league then. But things done changed.

The fact that there's still 2 years left to me means that's gonna scare a lot of teams away. But there are a whole lot of daft GM's out there. Like I said, I don't see Jose as being upgrade over any of the current playoff teams and $10 mil a year for a backup PG...I don't know man.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    Sorry my friend I don't really understand. You mean before it was extended? If that's the case then, yeah, I totally understand that. He was considered one of the top PG's in the league then. But things done changed.

The fact that there's still 2 years left to me means that's gonna scare a lot of teams away. But there are a whole lot of daft GM's out there. Like I said, I don't see Jose as being upgrade over any of the current playoff teams and $10 mil a year for a backup PG...I don't know man.
                    I've given you two real examples now. You are basing your stance only on how you value him. I've shown you two examples of his perceived worth around the league. One recent and one from two years ago. I can't take this any further because there is no more information. Believe what you will but I'll stick with with the few facts I have and the notion that the league values him based on their opinion and not your opinion.

Comment

I really think that above all else, his stability and presence make me want to have him stick around. I like Jose/Jarryd at the 1 MUCH more than the logjam of Wright, Kleiza, Johnson, and weems at the 3. Seriously I think that position is just of much higher concern right now.

Also i'm still not too high on bayless, but we'll have to wait and see. People are forgetting that Colangelo took a shot on Bayless to be our PG of the future, and with only 3/4 of a season to see what he's got, I don't think BC will draft a PG immediately without knowing for sure Bayless is a fail.

Comment

Do you know what makes someone a starter in the NBA?

They start.

Calderon starts, therefore he is a starter.

Does he deserve to be a starter? Yes, absolutely. If you were to list the top 30 point gaurds in the NBA, he is on the list. No question. I prefer him over lots of guys. Are there any backups that are better than him? I doubt it. (Don't say Jarrent Jack).

Now, he's pretty average as a starter, but he's still a starter.

Comment

Why do people think that a good defensive 2 can hide Calderon's deficiencies at the defensive end? Wouldn't the 2 also be guarding a player on the perimeter?

One way or another they should see what Jose can fetch on the trade market, but if you can't score anything of value for him then keep him on the roster. He is at the top when it comes to back up pg's and is the only player on the team currently that can create scoring opportunities for other players.

Comment

Are there any stats that reflect Calderon's defensive effectiveness or lack there of from last season to this season? Visibly he seems to have improved this season...or atleast he looks like he's making more effort this season.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                              Jose Calderon is as much a starting point guard as Jarrett Jack.

The Raptors have to make PG a priority this draft/summer and ensure that they get a floor general that can play defense, be a cornerstone for years to come, and has potential to become one of the top 5 PGs in the next three years. Easier said than done, but that should be goal #1.

Keep Calderon as a backup as a guy who'll be in the new PGs ear. All accounts suggest that Calderon is a great locker room presence, a true professional, and a great teammate, why would anyone not like to have him on this team. Now, if there's a package out there where we get to trade him for more defense or picks, that's an option too. At this point I think Calderon is an asset, not a liability, just as long as he's not starting next year.
                              I could'nt agree with your comment more, we need a #1 PG for the future I don't know if Bayless is the answer, Calderon would be a better backup point guard for this team. I know everyone is talking about Irving, I don't believe he'll be there unless we get the number 1 pick, which should go to Cleaveland who will pick Irving for sure with Davis as there backup mentor. Lets not forget about a kid named Kembo Walker out of Uconn, he is the number 2 rated PG in the draft and in the top 8 overall the Raptors should take a real like at this kid, only 18 and he plays with alot of heart on defence.

Comment

What happens to Calderon largely depends on what happens in the draft, free agency, trades, and whether or not the NBA is successful in getting a hard cap.

The club has several pressing needs. One is SF, another is a PG for the future, and another is a defensive minded centre. Come draft, the only PG, I think Colangelo will use a top 5 pick on is Kyrie Irving, should he be available. If BC lands Irving, I think he tries to move Calderon for another piece like a SF or defensive C. Problem is, if a hard cap comes in, it's going to be hard to move him because of his contract. It would also be nice to keep him as a mentor to Irving but not at the money he's making now.

Should Irving not be there, BC will go after a SF. They're are several available. If that happens, I don't see him moving Calderon.

The one thing I noticed about Calderon is that after signing his big deal in the summer of 2008, his speed on the court declined dramatically. When he first came into the league, he was really quick. That's been lost the last few years. Perhaps it's injuries or just age catching up to him, put that seems to have set him back and weakened his game and subsequently made him lose confidence.

With his style of play, I think Calderon would fit in nicely with a team like the Lakers or Heat. His ability to calm down an offence and run a 1/2 court offence would be greatly beneficial to either one of these teams, both of whom lack point guards. His deficiencies on D could also be masked somewhat by stronger defenders behind him, especially on the Lakers with the size of Odom, Bynum, and Gasol.

Comment

Working...
                                X