No announcement yet.

Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk about what we would take from Detroit is pointless. Dumars was actually dumb enough to think that Masai is into full blow-up and tank mode. He's looking to add a quality SF without losing any of his current quality assets. I've no doubt Masai has forgot about that phone call about 5 minutes after he stopped laughing.

Comment

• Love the talking heads responses to the offer. MU isn't BC
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Oh, also, while Monroe is clearly a better player, Mitchell intrigues me FAR more. Again, I'm not a fan of positionless players, which I always associate to D. Monroe strikes me as that type of guy. Don't know if he's committed to the physicality of C. Don't think he's got the speed/motor for PF.

Mitchell has EXCELLENT physical tools at PF, and while he's definitely a project offensively, this team isn't dying for an offensive player. I'm fully confident in JV's growth, and if not next year, by his 3rd year he'll be a nightly anchor in the post. What we need are good defensive players around him so that they can fuel the transition game of our athletic perimeter players by forcing turnovers and dominating the glass. And it would be an excellent bonus if those guys (like Amir Johnson and Tony Mitchell) are great at getting up and down the court, and using their athleticism to attack the hoop/glass hard as trails.

Honestly, I'm getting way too excited just thinking about it. That's why I'm really big on getting a guy like Tristan Thompson. Hey, there's a better team to deal Gay to!

Comment

• Monroe to me seems like Al Jefferson 2.0. A solid PF offensively but lacking defensively and really won't take your team anywhere.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
            Ok. What does that have to do w/ Rudy Gay?

I think Masai will keep Rudy and DeRozan as a package together to test how they will play in the first half of the season.
            I think it depends on the offer.

Again, I said this in another thread...I want Masai, and the Raptors as an organization to....

-Maintain draft assets...This means, first and foremost, never having a pickless draft like BC got them into. And second, it means being very frugal when trading picks. The Lowry trade was a gamble, but not bad at the time. It became much worse as BC continued to trade away picks.
            -Sell high on non-keepers (trust Masai and front office to make these choices)
            -Avoid compromising financial flexibility....realize they will want to spend to win...but spend to WIN, not to make it look like you're trying. This means even the big contracts should be movable.

I underlined the second. I am ok with Ujiri trading either one or both now, if he perceives an offer he gets as one of the highest value, as in, neither guy is likely to play up their value to the level where they'd get another such offer. And in relation to the 3rd, I don't think either guy's contract makes him immovable, especially after seeing Ujiri turn two years of Bargs at 23 million into more manageable assets and 3 draft picks.

A lot depends on the front office...but that's kind of the way it's supposed to be. Even the spenders have to be well managed (LAL pretty much since Showtime) or else turn into a train wreck (NYK for the last decade).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Monroe to me seems like Al Jefferson 2.0. A solid PF offensively but lacking defensively and really won't take your team anywhere.
              I keep thinking Derrick Coleman. Does anybody remember him?

Comment

• At what point can Ujiri negotiate a contract extension with Gay? Because right now might be a good time to consider that. Same with Lowry. The two are buddies, treat them as a package. Call them in, sell them on the vision for building a championship here, say how much the Raptors can afford to sign them to long-term and make them center-pieces of that vision, and if they can't reach a reasonable agreement, one or both will end up on the trading block. I don't like Gay under his current contract, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a pricetag that makes a lot of sense for both parties. Same with Lowry: I'd want to know ASAP if he's going to price himself out of Ujiri's philosophy next offseason.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I keep thinking Derrick Coleman. Does anybody remember him?
                  I remember him but I'm not sure I'd go with that comparison. Coleman was an undersized Barkley wanna-be. Monroe has good size and is a consistent rebounder. Al Jefferson might be a better comparison but even then, Monroe is a great passer (for a big), while Al Jeff is a black hole.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                    At what point can Ujiri negotiate a contract extension with Gay? Because right now might be a good time to consider that. Same with Lowry. The two are buddies, treat them as a package. Call them in, sell them on the vision for building a championship here, say how much the Raptors can afford to sign them to long-term and make them center-pieces of that vision, and if they can't reach a reasonable agreement, one or both will end up on the trading block. I don't like Gay under his current contract, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a pricetag that makes a lot of sense for both parties. Same with Lowry: I'd want to know ASAP if he's going to price himself out of Ujiri's philosophy next offseason.
                    Ujiri can extend Gay's contract right now - assuming he wants to extend it at Gay's current salary level. Which is the problem. Nobody in their right mind wants to extend Gay at his current salary level, because he is wildly overpaid and not worth a max deal. (Of course BC talked about it, but that just makes the point.)

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      I remember him but I'm not sure I'd go with that comparison. Coleman was an undersized Barkley wanna-be. Monroe has good size and is a consistent rebounder. Al Jefferson might be a better comparison but even then, Monroe is a great passer (for a big), while Al Jeff is a black hole.
                      Coleman was 6'10'', he wasn't undersized. He just didn't jump...or run....or try really hard most of the time. Coleman was an excellent rebounder though. *And a decent passer.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...colemde01.html

Note the amount of games missed and the quick drop...clearly didn't take care of himself.

Comment

Coleman was 6'10'', he wasn't undersized. He just didn't jump...or run....or try really hard most of the time. Coleman was an excellent rebounder though.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...colemde01.html

Note the amount of games missed and the quick drop...clearly didn't take care of himself.
                        I don't remember him as much of a rebounder, but I guess my memory is off. He was a lazy d-bag for sure though. Plus I'm pretty sure he was an alcoholic. I don't even mean that to be a dick, I'm pretty sure he seriously had alcohol abuse problems.

He only played 70+ games 4 times in his career too.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                          All this talk about what we would take from Detroit is pointless. Dumars was actually dumb enough to think that Masai is into full blow-up and tank mode. He's looking to add a quality SF without losing any of his current quality assets. I've no doubt Masai has forgot about that phone call about 5 minutes after he stopped laughing.
                          You have to start negotiations somewhere.

But, yes, I think you're right overall here... especially the laughing part.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Josh Smith ends up in Detroit. I can't believe anyone thinks a front court of Smith-Monroe-Drummond will work as a starting lineup.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            I don't remember him as much of a rebounder, but I guess my memory is off. He was a lazy d-bag for sure though. Plus I'm pretty sure he was an alcoholic. I don't even mean that to be a dick, I'm pretty sure he seriously had alcohol abuse problems.

He only played 70+ games 4 times in his career too.
                            Are you thinking Vin Baker?

Comment

• I also don't know if Coleman is the best comparison for Monroe...but I can see somewhat similar career trajectories.

Comment

I also don't know if Coleman is the best comparison for Monroe...but I can see somewhat similar career trajectories.
                                What do Piston fans/reporters say about him?

What is his character, work ethic?

The big problem with Coleman was he had million dollar talent and 5cent character. I've never read anything to suggest Monroe was in any way similar.

Comment

Working...
                                X