• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W'ictory Baby

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
      I rather call your mother.
      my mom won't help you, but if you're that upset about Nash not signing with the Raptors then maybe you need your mommy?

Seriously get over it people. It would've been bad for this team in every aspect that isn't PR related. The guy made a choice that he believed was best for him (and his family too). There's absolutely no reason anybody in Toronto should be upset over this, but clearly that's not the case with this the Toronto fanbases' maturity level.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        I have no problem with him taking his best shot at a title, but what does bother me is the fact that the Lakers can still outspend everyone else in the league despite the CBA. Might as well admit the fact that the NBA is more like European football than the NFL, and abandon the so-called salary cap.
        I feel your pain, but keep in mind that two of the most significant aspects of the new CBA haven't been implemented yet:

One is that starting in 2013-14, teams cannot complete a sign-and-trade if it will put them above the apron ($4 million above the tax threshold). Meaning that if this was next summer, the Nash sign-and-trade would be impossible.

The other is that starting in 2013-14, we'll see the harsher tax penalties kick in, and then in 2014-15, the repeater rates kick in. Right now (I'm ballparking these numbers), the Lakers are at about $100 million in payroll, and the tax level is $70 million. They pay a dollar-to-dollar penalty, meaning $30 million. If those numbers were to continue in 2013-14, they'd pay $75.75 million in tax that season. If those numbers stay the same in 2014-15, then with the repeater rate, the Lakers would be paying $112.5 million in tax. I'm not sure even the Lakers would be able to pay $212.5 million on player salaries per season.

I'm not saying the new CBA is definitely going to work once these provisions kick in. I've honestly got no idea. But we shouldn't be judging the new CBA until it's fully implemented.

Comment

The Lakers also have one of the best GM's and owners in the league. It's a very smartly run team. They play fairly within the confines of the CBA. Most of the talent they acquired were through draft picks and trades, and then resigned their own talent using bird rights. In comparison, NY probably has more money but have been fairly putrid for the past few decades.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            The Lakers also have one of the best GM's and owners in the league. It's a very smartly run team. They play fairly within the confines of the CBA. Most of the talent they acquired were through draft picks and trades, and then resigned their own talent using bird rights. In comparison, NY probably has more money but have been fairly putrid for the past few decades.
            Exactly. I'm tired of hearing this team is a team the Raptors will never ever be able to compete with because ownership won't spend. There are a couple of reasons the team won't or hasn't spent. First there is a CBA. You can't add salary because there is a desire. The only time the Raptors were in a situation to pay luxury tax, they did. It subsequently crippled the organization for years and was a contributing factor to the forced exile of the best player the franchise has ever known. Second you need to have talent. This is what Raptor fans should be upset with - and many of course are. There has been a lack of talent worthy of the money. planetmars nailed it: the Lakers have great management and ownership that understood the previous CBA. They add assets and acquire top talent which they then use Bird Rights to extend - extending top talent via Bird Rights is what pushes teams deep in to luxury tax territory. It will be interesting to see what happens with them moving forward when they can't sign and trade anyone or for anyone, they have tighter trade ranges with regards to money, and they have smaller exceptions to use.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Exactly. I'm tired of hearing this team is a team the Raptors will never ever be able to compete with because ownership won't spend. There are a couple of reasons the team won't or hasn't spent. First there is a CBA. You can't add salary because there is a desire. The only time the Raptors were in a situation to pay luxury tax, they did. It subsequently crippled the organization for years and was a contributing factor to the forced exile of the best player the franchise has ever known. Second you need to have talent. This is what Raptor fans should be upset with - and many of course are. There has been a lack of talent worthy of the money. planetmars nailed it: the Lakers have great management and ownership that understood the previous CBA. They add assets and acquire top talent which they then use Bird Rights to extend - extending top talent via Bird Rights is what pushes teams deep in to luxury tax territory. It will be interesting to see what happens with them moving forward when they can't sign and trade anyone or for anyone, they have tighter trade ranges with regards to money, and they have smaller exceptions to use.
              I think the other kicker here, albeit cap space, willing to pay luxury tax, etc. is the willingness of the player to come to the team and play. doesnt matter how good your GM is, doesnt matter how much money youre willing to spend, if the player is not willing to play in your area, then its all pointless.

Comment

Utter bullshit. He never had any remote intention of coming here. This is all weeks later lip service.

Comment

No surprise here. I 've always thought that Nash was bullshitting anyways when he said he picked the Lakers "for the sake of being closer to his kids". In no way shape or form was he ever close to signing with the Raptors. Even if he says he waited for the assurance that the Lakers will swing for the fences to get Howard, they still had a championship caliber team with Bynum even if the deal didnt happen. So there really was no thinking about it, bottomline is, if he wanted a championship all along, the Lakers was it, if it came down between the Lakers and Raptors, and thats what it was.

Pretty much damage control at this point.

Comment

this sums up what i said. hahaha

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      No surprise here. I 've always thought that Nash was bullshitting anyways when he said he picked the Lakers "for the sake of being closer to his kids". In no way shape or form was he ever close to signing with the Raptors. Even if he says he waited for the assurance that the Lakers will swing for the fences to get Howard, they still had a championship caliber team with Bynum even if the deal didnt happen. So there really was no thinking about it, bottomline is, if he wanted a championship all along, the Lakers was it, if it came down between the Lakers and Raptors, and thats what it was.

Pretty much damage control at this point.
                      The Lakers didn't make an offer until the 11th hour though.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        ... also the Suns had to say yes to the deal. Sarver could have easily said no, considering LA is in their division.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I dont believe that either, hahaha

Comment

I dont believe that either, hahaha
                            The lunar landing WAS real!!!

Comment

I was this close to purchasing Raptors season tickets but as Washington is much closer to my family, I settled for a 10-game package from the Wizards in the end.

Comment

I think the other kicker here, albeit cap space, willing to pay luxury tax, etc. is the willingness of the player to come to the team and play. doesnt matter how good your GM is, doesnt matter how much money youre willing to spend, if the player is not willing to play in your area, then its all pointless.
                                The major chunk of their salary the last few years has come from 4 players: Kobe (~25M), Gasol (~17M), and Bynum (~16M and who was flipped in to Dwight) and previously Odom (~8M) - that is about $64M right there. Kobe drafted and Bird Rights. Gasol was traded for and then Bird Rights. Bynum drafted and Bird Rights. Odom was traded for and then Bird Rights. They have not been free agent players without an exception.

Obviously market and situation (including ownership) gave these guys good reason to resign and I agree they had to have the desire - I get that point.

But the issue here is the Lakers were the team that could offer these guys the most money and obviously an opportunity to win. The Lakers have to obey the same rules as everyone else as per the CBA - that is my point - this is not MLB.

If the Raptors acquire top talent and build championship contending and winning teams, I have a feeling (read: I have an opinion) that they have some really good talent and keeping them will not be an issue. Winning solves a lot of these issues - and that is not related just to the Lakers (remember, Kobe did want out) or Raptors. Winning while making the most money possible cures absolutely everything from a player perspective - and that is not related just to the Lakers or Raptors either.

Comment

Working...
                                X