No announcement yet.

Everything Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If stuff like this doesn't motivate Rudy than nothing will. Being called a poor player on national TV. I'm actually mad for him right now.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Memphis is getting torn to shreds by the Clippers. I knew they would struggle in the playoffs without an athletic wing scorer like Gay. No matter how good your post game is, you need shot creators and 3 pt shooters to space the floor. Memphis has none, I'm pretty sure they are dead last in 3pt shooting
      1. The Clippers only shot 1.3% better from 3pt range (35.8%, on 21.4 attempts) than the Grizzlies (34.5% on 13.5 attempts).
      2. Somehow, you think the Grizzlies are poor from three, despite Gay's contributions (31% on 3.1 attempts), not because of it.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        If stuff like this doesn't motivate Rudy than nothing will. Being called a poor player on national TV. I'm actually mad for him right now.
        Now that hes in Canada he will be referred to as a bad player by the media, hope it does fire him up. I dont know who that guy bashing in the vid is but honestly why is his opinion even addressed? lol how do some people become analysts?

Comment

• The Gay trade was a financial / cap trade by the Grizzlies, not a basketball trade. I can't imagine someone seriously arguing that Prince is giving them more than Gay would in the playoffs. Prince plays okay defense, but he is not a very efficient scorer by any means, and he never has been (career: 12.6 pts on 11.1 shots per game).

The guys in that video that actually played basketball seemed unanimous in saying that you have to guard Gay, while Simmons seemed to think you could just leave him alone. I can't recall any team deliberately sagging off on Gay and letting him shoot uncontested jumpers. If they did, I expect that his FG% would be much higher. The point is that he is the focal point of perimeter defenses, and that does take some pressure off other players on offense.

LeBron James is .313 lifetime (playoffs) for 3FG, including .259 in last year's championship run. I doubt that any team is going to sag off of him at the 3pt line.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Now that hes in Canada he will be referred to as a bad player by the media, hope it does fire him up. I dont know who that guy bashing in the vid is but honestly why is his opinion even addressed? lol how do some people become analysts?
            I agree his image is slowly changing. It use to be an explosive wing scorers that's a tad overpaid. Now it's just an overpaid wing. I like how Wilbon was like "stats are bull shit". I really hope Rudy see this. He seems like the type of person who cares what ppl think of him. I tweet it to him. Here's hoping it lights a fire. This won't be the last time we hear this type of criticism about him.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Great find. Just embedding so people can check it out here...

YES! Call him out. Guy went his entire writing career talking about intangibles by players then like 4 years ago he got brainwashed by the Hollinger camp about metrics and puts that above all else.

Oh and it's great to hear him yell over Wilbon about how the NBA works while Magic Johnson and Jalen Rose basically shake their heads in disbelief.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                YES! Call him out. Guy went his entire writing career talking about intangibles by players then like 4 years ago he got brainwashed by the Hollinger camp about metrics and puts that above all else.

Oh and it's great to hear him yell over Wilbon about how the NBA works while Magic Johnson and Jalen Rose basically shake their heads in disbelief.
                It's not even just about "intangibles". What Magic and Jalen kept repeating was that unless you have a scoring threat on the wing, you are too easy to play against defensively. Opinions might differ about Gay, but he will make you play defense, and if he has a mismatch, he will hurt you.

I also like how Simmons tried to make his argument with BS stats, saying that Gay shot 35% in the playoffs (he shot 42.1%). Actually, he is a career 45% shooter (34.3% from 3).

Kobe is career 45.4%, 33.6% from 3. Simmons' favourite guy, Paul Pierce, is a career 42.2% shooter in the playoffs, including 38.6% last year.

I guess nobody needs to guard those guys, either.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                  It's not even just about "intangibles". What Magic and Jalen kept repeating was that unless you have a scoring threat on the wing, you are too easy to play against defensively. Opinions might differ about Gay, but he will make you play defense, and if he has a mismatch, he will hurt you.

I also like how Simmons tried to make his argument with BS stats, saying that Gay shot 35% in the playoffs (he shot 42.1%). Actually, he is a career 45% shooter (34.3% from 3).

Kobe is career 45.4%, 33.6% from 3. Simmons' favourite guy, Paul Pierce, is a career 42.2% shooter in the playoffs, including 38.6% last year.

I guess nobody needs to guard those guys, either.
                  To be fair, Simmons asked the comp guy what Rudy's stats where after he said 35%, so he wanted to know what it was. He remembered him shooting badly last year, so he asked for the threepoint stat next and that was 21%. His argument was that the defense wanted to make him shoot, because he did a bad job of that [and didn't help spreading the floor]. It's not a ridiculous argument; many people have pointed to this problem for Memphis (when Rudy was still there - and still).

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    To be fair, Simmons asked the comp guy what Rudy's stats where after he said 35%, so he wanted to know what it was. He remembered him shooting badly last year, so he asked for the threepoint stat next and that was 21%. His argument was that the defense wanted to make him shoot, because he did a bad job of that [and didn't help spreading the floor]. It's not a ridiculous argument; many people have pointed to this problem for Memphis (when Rudy was still there - and still).
                    Gay isn't a spot-up 3-pt shooter. He only attempted 2.7 3FG a game in the playoffs last year, so it's not like they were leaving him open and he was just chucking up 3-balls.

Tayshaun Prince is 3-15 on FGs (0-1 on 3FG). So how's that working out for spacing the floor for Memphis? Maybe they could have predicted this. During his last playoff season (2008/9) Prince shot 7-27 (25.9%), and was 1-5 from 3FG.

Jalen and Magic were suggesting that Memphis would be better with Gay at the wing in taking some pressure off the interior scorers. It seems hard to argue that Prince is an improvement.

My point is that Memphis made this move for financial reasons, not basketball. I think that Gay would be more valuable to them in the playoffs than Prince and Ed Davis.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                      Gay isn't a spot-up 3-pt shooter. He only attempted 2.7 3FG a game in the playoffs last year, so it's not like they were leaving him open and he was just chucking up 3-balls.

Tayshaun Prince is 3-15 on FGs (0-1 on 3FG). So how's that working out for spacing the floor for Memphis? Maybe they could have predicted this. During his last playoff season (2008/9) Prince shot 7-27 (25.9%), and was 1-5 from 3FG.

Jalen and Magic were suggesting that Memphis would be better with Gay at the wing in taking some pressure off the interior scorers. It seems hard to argue that Prince is an improvement.

My point is that Memphis made this move for financial reasons, not basketball. I think that Gay would be more valuable to them in the playoffs than Prince and Ed Davis.
                      I'm not advocating they are better with Prince (even though I'm not sure they are worse) and I don't think Simmons was either, he said something along the lines of 'they're screwed either way'. Prince did have some good years in the play-offs from three. But besides that, they have some weaknesses, and a major one has been floor spacing with their bigs.

Comment

• Some stats to think of:

Regular Season:

Career 45% field goal shooter.
                        Career 34% three point shooter.
                        Career 18 point scorer per game.

Playoffs: (Sample size, first round vs. Clippers)

Career 42% field goal shooter.
                        Career 21% three point shooter.
                        Career 19 point scorer per game.

The season before the injury: (or season that ended with the surgery)

2010-2011 season: (Season where Rudy Gay was MOST efficient)

47% from the field.
                        40% (rounded, around .396%) three point shooter.
                        19.8 points per game.

Saying Rudy is one of the worse perimeter shooters in the league is a bad argument, statistically speaking, history wise, Rudy is an above average perimeter shooter, also backs up the argument that he has the skill-set/capability to hit from 3.

In my opinion, and going from the stats, it's looking more like his shooting is still affected from the past shoulder injury.
                        Last edited by ReubenJRD; Tue Apr 23, 2013, 08:57 PM.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Who the hell is Bill Simmons?! #Clown
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Bill Simmons is an idiot Rudy Gay just being there was an impact the draws doubles he made things so much easier for everyone else (like hes doing for the Raps now) I think this season is more so exposing Conley for not being the right guard for Memphis.the Memphis organization is just making plenty of bad moves recently, Losing Mayo was their offense off the bench and now losing Gay they lost their star wing and closer. Gay hits game winners hes clutch they dont have that anymore all but 1 close game this season since Gay left Memphis has lost them all. this dude coming out and saying all that noise just shows he either doesnt know ball or he is just completely ignorant of the Memphis Grizzlies, probably the latter....

I think Calderon running Memphis would be pretty legit it makes me wonder why they wanted no stake in him...

Comment

• Bill Simmons and his opinion about Raptors players? This is all you need to know...

“Colangelo had a choice between paying (Michael) Beasley $11 million for two years (with a qualifying offer of $8.1 million in 2012-13) or signing Amir Johnson for $34 million for five years … and chose Johnson!? Did he suffer a head injury right before the 2006 draft and not tell us?”
                              Maybe the Grizzlies need Simmons' favourite underrated guy (Beasley) to push them over the top.
                              Last edited by Bouncepass; Tue Apr 23, 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                Bill Simmons is an idiot Rudy Gay just being there was an impact the draws doubles he made things so much easier for everyone else (like hes doing for the Raps now) I think this season is more so exposing Conley for not being the right guard for Memphis.the Memphis organization is just making plenty of bad moves recently, Losing Mayo was their offense off the bench and now losing Gay they lost their star wing and closer. Gay hits game winners hes clutch they dont have that anymore all but 1 close game this season since Gay left Memphis has lost them all. this dude coming out and saying all that noise just shows he either doesnt know ball or he is just completely ignorant of the Memphis Grizzlies, probably the latter....

I think Calderon running Memphis would be pretty legit it makes me wonder why they wanted no stake in him...
                                They won plenty of close games Mr. "I just make shit up". Check their game log.

Comment

Working...
                                X