Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    "It's a crab-step" - Lebron James
    Last I heard, the crab-step was called a travel. That's what began all that nonsense calling it a crab-step in the first place.

Here's a small play I just wrote up. It's basically how the league works.

*Whistle blows*
    Rookie Referee: "Travel. You took fifteen steps."
    Lebron James: "WHHATTT???!!! That's my patented 'I'm-a-superstar-therefore-how-dare-you-call-me-for-an-obvious-infraction' move. Look it up, smart guy."
    *Whistle blows*
    Rookie Referee: "Technical foul. Number 6."
    Veteran Referee (talking to Rookie Referee): "Whoah...whoah, there. Easy up. He's right. Rescind the foul. And I'm calling a technical on you, for interfering with a superstar."

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
      I think what you meant to say was that it specifically wouldn't be ironic. Ironic would be like if you picked him to be your PG, but he ended up leading your team in turnovers, rebounds and blocked shots. What you describe above is more like "par for the course," or "typical."
      Yes, true. I should have actually said funny or coincidental.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Fun fact: 85% of North Americans don't know what ironic means. Just ask Alanis Morissette.
        When someone asks exactly what irony is, I always point to that song as the perfect example of irony. A song about irony that is anything but ironic.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
          Walker HAD to take a lot of shots, and only 2 of those actually looked forced-a bunch of them were with the clock running down.

If I had to choose over Walker or Knight, I'd take Walker without question. If we take Walker, then we should move Calderon (inb4 But he can run an offense (but not nearly enough to make up for his defense)). If we take Knight then we should keep Calderon, move Bayless or Barbosa and bring him along slowly. I don't want us to draft either of them, and I don't want Kanter because I doubt that he'll be a very good defender
          I'm not just talking about the highlights. And a PG finds ways to get his teammates involved. I rarely saw that with Walker. If I was FORCED to choose between Walker and Knight, I'd probably take Walker, too. Thankfully, it's not a choice between just those two.
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

LIES! I don't believe that.

Comment

That move that Walker pulls at 1:29 or so...sweet though it is...is that not a travel? He picks up his dribble with the hop step. Then takes another step after the pump fake. Isn't the hop step already two steps?
              Travel for sure. A lot people think you can pivot after a hop step but you can't pivot into or out of a hop step. All you can do after a hop step is pass, shoot, or travel. That being said, you'll go insane if you are nit picky with the rules. The current refs are as inconsistent and bias as they get.

Comment

wow Kemba broke that dudes ankle and neck at the same time.
                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

That move that Walker pulls at 1:29 or so...sweet though it is...is that not a travel? He picks up his dribble with the hop step. Then takes another step after the pump fake. Isn't the hop step already two steps?
                  It kinda looks like it, but he actually just goes into the Hop Step, keeps a pivot foot, rotates slightly and then caries into the shooting motion. Perfectly legal move. And perfectly lovely.

Didn't read Krix's response. You can absolutely maintain a pivot foot once you've done a 'Power Stop'/'Hop Step'. As long as you land both feet at the same time. Which he does. Once he takes the Hop Step he doesn't lose his pivot foot until he is shooting.

I think, anyway. I could absolutely be wrong on that.
                  Last edited by Joey; Fri May 20, 2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

"It's a crab-step" - Lebron James
                    lol... there was a short time, that anytime i saw lebron playing, i'd sing the crab people song from south park..

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I would however definitely look to pick up a later round pick to get Darius Morris. He is described as perhaps the best true PG in the draft, has good size, good playmaking and general offense, runs a team well, and would do well for a change of pace off the bench from Bayless the first couple of years. If Bayless doesn't establish then Morris could maybe become a starter down the road, but at the very least be a solid backup for years to come at worst imo. If we can grab a pick and take him I would be happy.
                      i love it when you talk dirty
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
                        Travel for sure. A lot people think you can pivot after a hop step but you can't pivot into or out of a hop step. All you can do after a hop step is pass, shoot, or travel. That being said, you'll go insane if you are nit picky with the rules. The current refs are as inconsistent and bias as they get.
                        are you sure on this rule... if ur dribbling and land on both after doing a hop step, then why cant u pick a foot to be the pivot foot .?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          It kinda looks like it, but he actually just goes into the Hop Step, keeps a pivot foot, rotates slightly and then caries into the shooting motion. Perfectly legal move. And perfectly lovely.

Didn't read Krix's response. You can absolutely maintain a pivot foot once you've done a 'Power Stop'/'Hop Step'. As long as you land both feet at the same time. Which he does. Once he takes the Hop Step he doesn't lose his pivot foot until he is shooting.

I think, anyway. I could absolutely be wrong on that.
                          no no. your right.. krix is way wrong. ive always understood to be the rule as you stated above. the officiating is bad but cmon its not that bad lol. by Krix's rule there would be tons of these travels every game.

Comment

Was officially measured at the combine, comes in at 5'11.5" in his socks, 6'1 in shoes with a 6' 3.5" wingspan.

taller than i expected
                            Taller than I expected too, but I don't know if this puts all worries to bed.

I looked through the Draftexpress measurement database for PGs, and of all PGs drafted and listed in the DB, Walker's standing reach of 7'7.5" puts him tied for 2nd last with Nate Robinson. Only Jerome Randle (7'4.5") is worse in this regard. For comparison, most of the elite PGs of the future (Deron Williams, Stephen Curry, John Wall, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook) have standing reaches between 8'1" and 8'5.5". Only Chris Paul comes in close at 7'9", but we all know he's special. (Rondo isn't listed here because I don't have his measurements.) Of the players around Kemba's size, Ford comes in at 7'9.5"; Brooks at 7'10"; Lawson, Conley and Augustin at 7'10.5"; Nelson at 7'11"; Flynn at 7'11.5".

The somewhat good news is Kemba has decent wingspan for his size. At 6'3.5", it's not great, but it could be worse. The same elite PGs mentioned above range from 6'3.5" to 6'9.25" in wingspan (with Curry's T-Rex arms at 6'3.5"), and Kemba has comparable wingspan to the players his size (Ford 5'11.5", Brooks 6'4", Lawson 6'0.75", Conley 6'5.75", Augustin 6'3.5", Nelson 6'2.5", Flynn 6'4"). For comparison, Bayless also has a 6'3.5" wingspan.

So my question is, will Raptors' fans be satisfied with this? I know how you guys love to compare our PGs to the top PGs in the league; Kemba's standing reach (or lack thereof) pretty much puts him in a group of his own, and not in a good way. If Kemba truly will be our PG of the future, and if we do end up contending, he'll be going up against PGs with half a foot or more (in standing reach) on him. That's not insignificant. Thoughts?

Comment

Quix... not half a foot, four inches, according to the stats you just displayed. And those guys are taller than him to begin with, so obviously their standing reach will be taller.
                              ADD Whoops, forgot the 8'-1". Nevermind. But still.

That's just moving the argument from his height, to his height with his arms straight up.

I'm not saying we should take him at 5. Never have. But I do think that he won't have any issues with being an impact player in the league. Regardless of how tall he is, with his arms up or not. The guy is SO crafty and creative in making his own shots, and he'll only get better with his passing. He was an above average rebounder, and that is just a testament to him not being afraid of the fact that he's a couple inches shorter.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                                Quix... not half a foot, four inches, according to the stats you just displayed. And those guys are taller than him to begin with, so obviously their standing reach will be taller.
                                ADD Whoops, forgot the 8'-1". Nevermind. But still.

That's just moving the argument from his height, to his height with his arms straight up.

I'm not saying we should take him at 5. Never have. But I do think that he won't have any issues with being an impact player in the league. Regardless of how tall he is, with his arms up or not. The guy is SO crafty and creative in making his own shots, and he'll only get better with his passing. He was an above average rebounder, and that is just a testament to him not being afraid of the fact that he's a couple inches shorter.
                                Considering I was comparing his 7'7.5" standing reach to the worst of the top PGs (8'1"), it's a 5.5" difference (12 inches in a foot, not 10). Whether you want to call that 5.5" or half a foot is up to you; to me, it's just semantics. The rest of the elite PGs have over half a foot on him.

I've never been a very big proponent on height. To me, it's wingspan and standing reach that matters (see my posts on Kanter). Height might matter in terms of providing better floor vision, being able to see over opposing players, and perhaps future body, but little else aside from that.

I was listing the comparisons more to show the obstacles he'll have to surpass. A lot of people were comparing him to the other undersized but successful guards in the league, but the fact is he's in pretty unique company.

And honestly, I think you're placing way too much stock in college performance, especially as a junior. Most of the opposing players he's faced will never see the light of a professional league, let alone the NBA, and he better be crafty with all that playing experience.

Edit: HMM, I swear the ADD wasn't there when I first read your reply. Oh well!
                                Last edited by Quixotic; Fri May 20, 2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X