Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeRozan officially invited to Team USA national training camp/Year 3 highlight mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand why DeRozan has been invited to team USA, unless they are planning to make some films/documentaries for how to not play. Or perhaps it's a way to sabotage the Raptors -- give DeRozan confidence in his current game, make him believe if he's good enough to play for his country, then he must be good enough period!

No reason to get better now DeMar.. you significantly regressed this year but no worries, you're on Team USA!
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...tors_olympics/

USA basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo told Bob McCown on Sportsnet 590 The Fan that DeRozan has been added to the men's select team that will train against the national team prior to the 2012 Olympics.

Seems that he has been selected not to try out for Team USA but instead to play against them. Although this should still be a pretty good learning curve for him.
      Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
        [

Seems that he has been selected not to try out for Team USA but instead to play against them. Although this should still be a pretty good learning curve for him.
        Got it. He's on the Washington Generals.

Comment

this makes alot more sense. Still, should be a better offseason experience than last years pickup games

Comment

For some perspective, Kapono was also once chosen to play against the USA National team.

Comment

Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
              For some perspective, Kapono was also once chosen to play against the USA National team.
              In 2008 Durant, Westbrook and Rose all played on the selects team as well.
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                He has the chance to play for his nation this Summer, even though it'll be hard with Wade and Bryant at those positions, if he plays and works hard, he can earn it....

Notice how many of the players who have participated in Olympic games/camps etc. have become very, very good NBA players...
                Can earn a chance to play in Olympics? I'm just happy got invited to play against those players and have a summer full of great information/experience to pull from rather then pick up.

Wade and Bryant are tough to beat out but don't forget Joe Johnson, James Harden, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans and Paul George who are all capable of playing the 2 spot. Exciting news for sure I just can't see him getting on the real team.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                  Can earn a chance to play in Olympics? I'm just happy got invited to play against those players and have a summer full of great information/experience to pull from rather then pick up.

Wade and Bryant are tough to beat out but don't forget Joe Johnson, James Harden, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans and Paul George who are all capable of playing the 2 spot. Exciting news for sure I just can't see him getting on the real team.
                  That's why I said if he works hard enough to earn it....

It's alright though, he's been selected to play and practice AGAINST the national team, which means he won't make it unless injury or something of that sort.

And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

...And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.
                    Right on. I think all those travelling circus fan games absolutely hurt Demar, maybe worse than any other players, because he got an inflated sense of his ability. Though everybody (Raps management and coaching staff) keeps going on about how hard he works to get better. You don't need to put yourself in an environment of fawning fans and "You da Man" posse if you are dedicated to improving. (Not that Demar did that...how would I know...but the ooohs and aaahs for every dunk in the summer highlights make me think so).

Comment

That's why I said if he works hard enough to earn it....

It's alright though, he's been selected to play and practice AGAINST the national team, which means he won't make it unless injury or something of that sort.

And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.
                      Sorry your post seemed to imply that he can make the actual team with playing hard and working hard...

I hope he just comes away from the July camp with more motivation to get better and picks up a few things from some of the games best players. Being surrounded by those players can't do anything but help him and the less time for pick up basketball the better in my opinion.

Comment

So when does it start and how long will the training camp actually last?

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                          Sorry your post seemed to imply that he can make the actual team with playing hard and working hard...

I hope he just comes away from the July camp with more motivation to get better and picks up a few things from some of the games best players. Being surrounded by those players can't do anything but help him and the less time for pick up basketball the better in my opinion.
                          Kobe's dedication to the workout room is legendary. I hope that rubs off on DD. Colangelo talked about there is more to be a professional than just being a gym rat on the basketball court. I can't think of a better example of that than Kobe.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            ...I can't think of a better example of that than Kobe.
                            Ummm. Steve Nash? Had less to start with. Still finished near the top of the heap.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Ummm. Steve Nash? Had less to start with. Still finished near the top of the heap.
                              Nash isn't on Team USA though.

Nor is he a Raptor.

But besides that, yes, I agree.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Nash isn't on Team USA though.

Nor is he a Raptor.

But besides that, yes, I agree.
                                Ahhh. You meant "I can't think of a better example, of all of the other players on the US national Olympic Team, than Kobe."

As opposed to " I can't think of a better example of a professional basketball player who comports himself properly, than that of Kobe."

My bad. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X