Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Based on this logic, wouldn't it make sense for Nash's numbers to be better in LA compared to his previous years in Phoenix? He has much better players in Kobe, Gasol, Howard, etc. when compared to Dudley, Gortat, Frye, etc.

Small sample size, but you get my point. Sometimes, it comes down to a team utilizing a player differently that can make a world of difference. Gay going from a 3rd option to a 1st option has that potential. Just look at Harden, and to a lesser extent, Mayo (another player I wish we were in the running for last summer).
    It kind of works in reverse with Nash, he is the one that makes poor players better. Ask Staudamire in NY.

What is your basis for thinking Gay will be a better player with us? Do we have 16.7 shots to give him, is lowry going to pass more and shoot less, will derozan take the cut, I honestly do not see why Memphis is a poor place for him and why Toronto is better.

If he is OUR number one option, and is not happy with his 16.7 shots in memphis, at .410% shooting, we are going to lose a lot of games.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure why you keep saying this; Rudy Gay has the highest Usage Rate on the Memphis Grizzlies according to Hoopsdata:

Rudy Gay - 25.84%

Zach Randolph - 22.74%
      Mike Conley - 20.13%
      Marc Gasol - 18.03%

He is absolutely their first option. Even their FGA Per Game reflects this:

Rudy Gay - 16.6 FGA per game

Zach Randolph - 13.9 FGA per game
      Mike Conley - 11.5 FGA per game
      Marc Gasol - 10.6 FGA per game
      +1

I'm thinking the same thing. Rudy Gay is the #1 option for Memphis. He takes the most shots for that team. He leads them in scoring. Yet posters on here keep saying he's the 3rd option. This is simply not true.

Comment

• I think they want him to be the 3rd option (or share touches with 2 other players) considering his offensive efficency, and he probably is not happy with that adjustment.

A player like Gay can score anytime he wants, the question is, does he know what a high percentage shot is. Is he getting his looks at the expense of the team? (from the trade reasoning on the memphis side, that could be a possiblity)
        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Jan 11, 2013, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
          Fair enough... and after Gay leaves us after 2 years.....what then??
          Cap space?

If thats going to be the fear everytime a player is acquired then whats the point in acquiring players? Even if you acquire Lebron at his peak with 10 years left on his contract, how would you know he wont request a trade 2 years later? When the Raps acquired Lowry, why werent they concerned whats going to happen when his contract expires in 2 years?

Its always going to be a question, but its something that you cant control. What the organization can control is to make the team better to at least have a fighting chance to re-sign their players.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Golden, I applaud the effort; but at some point you have to accept the fact that around here, people don't change their minds. Haha

Both sides have made commendable arguments, but at the end of the day, its all opinion.
            And while I agree with yours, that Rudy Gay is no saviour, I have to give it up to the other side and accept that having him on the team wouldn't be a bad thing either. However, if we had to give up Demar to get him, then that to me is BAD and counter productive for the team.
            Yeah. I had no idea there were so many openly Gay fans on this forum. lol.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              You could say that about every player. "What if they leave one day?"

Win some games, and sell them a new contract.
              You mean players who just signed 4 year contracts (cough - demar)?? You just dont get it Nilanka. This is Toronto.....we're not exactly LA or NY or Miami (not close to being a go-to destination). We need to keep and reward players who actually WANT to be here.

What makes you think we're going to win more with Gay instead of Demar and who else we may have to give up for Rudy?? Rudy Gay is NOT lebron or Kobe or even Carmelo. Therefore you cant guarantee that we will be better with him. This is all just opinion. BUT you cannot ignore the Truth. There is a good chance that NO MATTER WHAT WE OFFER RUDY - We could easily see him walk away in 2 years just like Bosh did. He has no loyalty to the Raptors.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                When Gay makes this team better, no doubt you will be one of the first ones to come out from the closet, i meant "No to Rudy Gay" closet. LOL right back at you.

Comment

Rap of the day!!! lmao

Comment

It was hard to comeout of the closet, during the euro Raptor success, but these days most Gay fans are open.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      When Gay makes this team better, no doubt you will be one of the first ones to come out from the closet, i meant "No to Rudy Gay" closet. LOL right back at you.
                      Yep, I'll be right there with you Glove. Wearing my Rudy Gay #66 jersey in the front row with PRIDE! haha.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                        I would rather Marc Gasol than Rudy Gay...... Now there's an example of someone who makes their team better. At least Marc's an all-star. I don't think at 17 million - 19 million Rudy is worth it. UNLESS we get rid of some unnecessary pieces like AB, LK, etc. Obviously this would be a dream come true, but i dont want to give up our core for Rudy. I would though for Marc Gasol.

Comment

• make it #69!

Comment

I would rather Marc Gasol than Rudy Gay...... Now there's an example of someone who makes their team better. At least Marc's an all-star. I don't think at 17 million - 19 million Rudy is worth it. UNLESS we get rid of some unnecessary pieces like AB, LK, etc. Obviously this would be a dream come true, but i dont want to give up our core for Rudy. I would though for Marc Gasol.
                            +1. It's interesting that the rise of Memphis coincides with the development of Gasol and maturation of Randolph and yet there are questions as to whether Gay 'fits in' or not. In fact, they made the big leap forward as a team the year Gay was injured.

Comment

You mean players who just signed 4 year contracts (cough - demar)?? You just dont get it Nilanka. This is Toronto.....we're not exactly LA or NY or Miami (not close to being a go-to destination). We need to keep and reward players who actually WANT to be here.

What makes you think we're going to win more with Gay instead of Demar and who else we may have to give up for Rudy?? Rudy Gay is NOT lebron or Kobe or even Carmelo. Therefore you cant guarantee that we will be better with him. This is all just opinion. BUT you cannot ignore the Truth. There is a good chance that NO MATTER WHAT WE OFFER RUDY - We could easily see him walk away in 2 years just like Bosh did. He has no loyalty to the Raptors.
                              No, it's you who doesn't get it. How many years does Lowry have left on his deal? Should we not have traded for him because we're scared he's anti-Canada?

Maybe we should just build a team full of Canadians (and Matt Bonner) because they "want to be here", lol.

Of course I can't guarantee anything. Nobody can. Can you guarantee we'll ever be a playoff team with DeRozan leading the way? No, you can't.

This is a business. Nobody has any loyalty to the Raptors.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I'm not sure if anyone has even considered it yet but doesn't Gay kind of remind you of Jermaine O'Neal?

JO was 30 at the time where as Gay is 26 so there is a difference but both had big salaries. JO was a perennial all-star but then got injured and was never the same. Gay has a track record of being on the shelf and has been considered a perennial all-star (it's much tougher to make it on the all-star team in the West). He has also regressed from previous years. JO was brought in to please Bosh. You could say Gay could be doing the same for Lowry. The guy that was just drafted (Bargnani) plays the same position as JO. Gay plays a similar position to DeMar who just came off his rookie contract.

To get JO, the Raptors had to give away a first rounder (who ended up becoming Hibbert). To get Gay the Raptors may need to give up a previously drafted first rounder (Davis/Ross, who may end up becoming all-stars).

If Bryan wasn't our GM I would be all over a Gay trade - but because he is I am scared sh!tless.
                                Except for Gay's shoulder injury, he has missed 10 games in his career. 10 games total. He has missed 1 game in the last 1.5 seasons.

JO? C'mon. The only similarity is big contracts.... and JO's was actually $5M more per season.

Comment

Working...
                                X