The biggest fear for those hoping for a top pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    In reflecting on the apparent value of draft picks this season, ahead of the 2014 draft, I became even more irked at BC's decision to include a 2nd round pick with Haddadi for Telfair. With both Toronto and Sacramento appearing destined to finish in the bottom-10 (at least), that means that a pick in the mid-low 30's will be going to Phoenix. How valuable an asset would that be as trade bait this year, at the deadline and at the draft? The Raps could've had 2 picks in the 30's, to either use to help the rebuild or as trade bait/sweetener. For what, Telfair??? Haddadi was expiring anyway... jeesh!
    There's BC for you.

Having two 2nd Rounders this year, would be AMAZING. Great for sweetning deals, but, knowing MU, he would've kept them, and turned them into useful rotational players of some-sort.

You live, you learn, what can you do now. Time to secure some 2nd Rounders and 1st Rounders back!

The more I think about this Gay trade and everything MU said in his press conference today, I really think he's planning a 2-year rebuild, starting this offseason.

2013-14 - dismantle BC's mess

2014 draft - begin the rebuild

2014-15 - continue the rebuild, development of young players

2015 draft - continue the rebuild

2015-16 - continue building, development of young players, ahead of being competitive next season

2016 draft - final step in building (remember, Toronto has a 2nd pick from either Denver or NY)

2016-2017 - start competing with a good young team, built to be a perennial contender
    Yup. I dont think MU is planning on being able to compete next year. It'd be a little bit too soon. I could see the team significantly improving, but we're still 2/3 PERFECT Scenario Seasons away from being on that road.

If he can dismantle BC's mess by Trade Deadline, which I would say involves moving Lowry at the minimum, but knowing MU, there's a lot more about to go on, then it's a huge success for this year already.

2014 Draft - We have our own pick, and if we can some-how net another one, whereever it be in this amazingly stacked draft, it can't be a bad thing at all.

2014/2015 - Pure development with a new coach, and's keen on developing young players.

2015 Draft - Like you said, continue the rebuild, hopefully pick up another first rounder. I dont think they'll be as highly sought after, so, shouldn't be too difficult. (I could actually see MU gunning for an extra pick in this year for sure, because the price will be a lot lower. Amir for a 2015 First Rounder Unprotected? Or top 3-Protected? I could see that...)

2015 Summer - Aren't there a lot of big name FAs? We also have a lot coming off the books, and by a lot, I mean essentially everybody, no?

And the rest is exactly what you said too. MU likes his picks, if we can grab 2-Pics in every draft in the 1st Round from now until the 2016/2017 Season...I thikn we're set.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
      There's BC for you.

Having two 2nd Rounders this year, would be AMAZING. Great for sweetning deals, but, knowing MU, he would've kept them, and turned them into useful rotational players of some-sort.

You live, you learn, what can you do now. Time to secure some 2nd Rounders and 1st Rounders back!

Yup. I dont think MU is planning on being able to compete next year. It'd be a little bit too soon. I could see the team significantly improving, but we're still 2/3 PERFECT Scenario Seasons away from being on that road.

If he can dismantle BC's mess by Trade Deadline, which I would say involves moving Lowry at the minimum, but knowing MU, there's a lot more about to go on, then it's a huge success for this year already.

2014 Draft - We have our own pick, and if we can some-how net another one, whereever it be in this amazingly stacked draft, it can't be a bad thing at all.

2014/2015 - Pure development with a new coach, and's keen on developing young players.

2015 Draft - Like you said, continue the rebuild, hopefully pick up another first rounder. I dont think they'll be as highly sought after, so, shouldn't be too difficult. (I could actually see MU gunning for an extra pick in this year for sure, because the price will be a lot lower. Amir for a 2015 First Rounder Unprotected? Or top 3-Protected? I could see that...)

2015 Summer - Aren't there a lot of big name FAs? We also have a lot coming off the books, and by a lot, I mean essentially everybody, no?

And the rest is exactly what you said too. MU likes his picks, if we can grab 2-Pics in every draft in the 1st Round from now until the 2016/2017 Season...I thikn we're set.
      Your plan seems pretty ambitious, logical and completely impossible! Unless....you have the Masaiah it's a dreamers plan, a perfect scenario idealist plan that many GMs would promise but few could deliver. I think Masai can deliver.
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
        2015 Summer - Aren't there a lot of big name FAs? We also have a lot coming off the books, and by a lot, I mean essentially everybody, no?.
        Ross/DeRozan/Novak/Valanciunas are all that's left in 2015...according to Hoopsworld our comitted salary total is 13.25 million
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
          Your plan seems pretty ambitious, logical and completely impossible! Unless....you have the Masaiah it's a dreamers plan, a perfect scenario idealist plan that many GMs would promise but few could deliver. I think Masai can deliver.
          Well, I did say Perfect Scenarios, lol.

I don't really expect that to happen, we're the Raptors. Something will go wrong. But at least we're guaranteed 1-Pick in each draft, since I highly doubt MU will trade any of them away.

We all know how high MU is on Draft Picks, and how much he wants to and needs to dismantle the current team, which is why I could see young prospects/draft picks coming back for these players, with no contracts really extending past the 2014/2015 season, which then we have some serious cap-space to sign a player or two.

I mean, hey, if the stars align, and the gods shine down upon us, and we draft Wiggins lets say, I think we could lure a top-notch Big Man/PG to play along side him, don't you?

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            Ross/DeRozan/Novak/Valanciunas are all that's left in 2015...according to Hoopsworld our comitted salary total is 13.25 million
            Even better.

There's a strong possibility that Novak is gone to a Contender anyways, somebody that can use some 3P Shooting.

And...with how things are looking right now, there's a chance that DD is shipped out anyways.

So, what we're trying to say is, by 2015, as far as we know now, we might only have Ross/JV left in terms of contacts on the team.

I think it's safe to save we've got some flexibility moving forward for that FA class :P

Comment

Some good bottom-feeder matchups this week (Mon-Fri):

Orlando at Memphis (Mon)
              NY at Cleveland (Tue)
              Boston at Brooklyn (Tue)
              Orlando at Charlotte (Wed)
              Utah at Sacramento (Wed)
              Cleveland at Orlando (Fri)
              Philadelphia at Toronto (Fri)*
              NY at Boston (Fri)
              Sacramento at Phoenix (Fri)

* Toronto also hosts San Antonio (Tue)

Several other matchups between Eastern 'bubble teams' as well, so the gap between contenders/pretenders in the EC could widen this week by a few games.

Come the weekend, the bottom of the league standings could be looking a little different.
              Monday:

Charlotte with an upset win over GS
              Memphis beats Orlando
              Sacramento with an upset win over Dallas

T29 - Milwaukee & Utah (4 wins)
              28 - NY (5 wins)
              T25 - Sacramento, Brooklyn & Orlando (6 wins)
              T22 - Toronto, Cleveland & Philadelphia (7 wins)
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Dec 10, 2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

my biggest fear about the draft is that Bryan secretly traded our 2014 pick and every website and news agency forgot to cover it. When we get on stage to announce our selection...Adam Silver is gonna get a slip of paper...and say "Oh shit, Toronto actually traded this pick to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal, and we just forgot. Then Indiana (already fucking ridiculous) will draft Wiggins.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I am not sure we get to many free agents here, especially when they have to come play with some unproven rookies, regardless of what they could be. Anyone we would get would be overpaid for sure just to come here. But keeping someone like dd might be able to land us a couple of good bench guys or guys of similar stature. That's what makes the team guys wanting to play together, DD is gaining some notoriety around the league he and jv could help with the grooming process for some FA but not a #1 unproven pic or 2 for that matter. All the tanking and unloading for pics is crazy, it's for unproven talent. Say we get wiggins he comes and plays but the pressure is too much he is a mild mannered kid and the pressure of home and being Canada b-ball, might hinder him. Don't get me wrong it does wonders for Canada ball to get him, but what if one of these 2 or 3 pics everyone wants turns into another Bargs what then. We should of kept dd, resigned lowery.

It's crazy to think that there are 5-10 generational talents in this draft. There are a few very good players, I emphasize very, but no telling where they might be in 4 years or even if they stay.

What if Jabari turn out to be head case like melo, exum needs 1-2 years to deal with the strength, randle and smart both need a jumper. What then we unload all over again for the next teenager to come with all the hype. We build the team and add to what we have cause they want to be here, or at least our best player wants to be here, now anyways. DD will shine with Rudy gone. If we can get it we do the trade, but we don't give up everything for one guy or a chance at him. MU will get us the pic I believe, but not at the cost everyone is talking about. Christ he had 5-6 rbs and assists last night, and lowery is only playing like this to get out of town I don't believe he wants to be here, especially with MR. Gay being gone.

Comment

On a more serious note. We really want to be as active as possible getting most of our deals done before the 19th of December so that come playoff push time....All the late lottery teams are looking at us in order to get their holes filled.

Example:

Miami: Hey Toronto! It's February 20th do you have a rebound and energy guy...we are soft as baby shit, and could really use some angry muscle come playoff time?

Toronto: Oh yes Miami we certainly do have that!

Indiana: Oh hey T.Dot..what's up...we need some 3pt insurnace, as well as an extra veteran PF for depth. Can you hook that up?

Toronto: We certainly can!

I want us to become a dumping ground for value contracts before the 19th so that we can be the used car salesman of the NBA come Feb...is basically where I was going with this.

Comment

my biggest fear about the draft is that Bryan secretly traded our 2014 pick and every website and news agency forgot to cover it. When we get on stage to announce our selection...Adam Silver is gonna get a slip of paper...and say "Oh shit, Toronto actually traded this pick to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal, and we just forgot. Then Indiana (already fucking ridiculous) will draft Wiggins.
                      LOL! If so, we should all burn BC's house down, and stone him to death.

delman21 wrote: View Post
                      I am not sure we get to many free agents here, especially when they have to come play with some unproven rookies, regardless of what they could be. Anyone we would get would be overpaid for sure just to come here. But keeping someone like dd might be able to land us a couple of good bench guys or guys of similar stature. That's what makes the team guys wanting to play together, DD is gaining some notoriety around the league he and jv could help with the grooming process for some FA but not a #1 unproven pic or 2 for that matter. All the tanking and unloading for pics is crazy, it's for unproven talent. Say we get wiggins he comes and plays but the pressure is too much he is a mild mannered kid and the pressure of home and being Canada b-ball, might hinder him. Don't get me wrong it does wonders for Canada ball to get him, but what if one of these 2 or 3 pics everyone wants turns into another Bargs what then. We should of kept dd, resigned lowery.

It's crazy to think that there are 5-10 generational talents in this draft. There are a few very good players, I emphasize very, but no telling where they might be in 4 years or even if they stay.

What if Jabari turn out to be head case like melo, exum needs 1-2 years to deal with the strength, randle and smart both need a jumper. What then we unload all over again for the next teenager to come with all the hype. We build the team and add to what we have cause they want to be here, or at least our best player wants to be here, now anyways. DD will shine with Rudy gone. If we can get it we do the trade, but we don't give up everything for one guy or a chance at him. MU will get us the pic I believe, but not at the cost everyone is talking about. Christ he had 5-6 rbs and assists last night, and lowery is only playing like this to get out of town I don't believe he wants to be here, especially with MR. Gay being gone.
                      Well, the attractiveness of luring a FA here, is that they have a Next-Generational Talent to play with, or a very good team assembled for the future. Some FAs care only about the money, but those who are truly worth it, see the money, but also want to be in a good scenario, IMHO at least.

I mean, if we draft Wiggins, and have some young-quality pieces around them, is it wrong to think that we could attract, maybe a Kevin Love in FA, with a Max Contract? (We would have the space)

On a more serious note. We really want to be as active as possible getting most of our deals done before the 19th of December so that come playoff push time....All the late lottery teams are looking at us in order to get their holes filled.

Example:

Miami: Hey Toronto! It's February 20th do you have a rebound and energy guy...we are soft as baby shit, and could really use some angry muscle come playoff time?

Toronto: Oh yes Miami we certainly do have that!

Indiana: Oh hey T.Dot..what's up...we need some 3pt insurnace, as well as an extra veteran PF for depth. Can you hook that up?

Toronto: We certainly can!

I want us to become a dumping ground for value contracts before the 19th so that we can be the used car salesman of the NBA come Feb...is basically where I was going with this.
                      I could definitely support this.

By those times, we can definitely squeeze some picks, and some Young Prospects. Teams are definitely committed by then to make a big push for the Playoffs...

Squeeze a 2014 1st Rounder from Miami/Indiana would be nice. Guaranteed at the bottom, but hey, a pick is a pick in a good draft!

EDIT: Not to mention, if we can package together a plethora of picks, whether it be 1st/2nd Rounders, could also see some movement on Draft Night, depending on what MU is thinking/planning!

Comment

Currently how many 2nd round pick to aps have in 2014 draft i think we have our own and Sacremento but i also read somewhere that we also have OKC 2nd round pick this year can someone plz confirm

Comment

Made me laugh so hard
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
                            Currently how many 2nd round pick to aps have in 2014 draft i think we have our own and Sacremento but i also read somewhere that we also have OKC 2nd round pick this year can someone plz confirm
                            The Raps have 2. We had those 3 you mentioned, but we traded the lower of TOR/SAC picks to Phoenix with Haddadi, for Telfair last season. The Raps got OKC's pick from NY in the Bargnani deal.

Comment

The Raps have 2. We had those 3 you mentioned, but we traded the lower of TOR/SAC picks to Phoenix with Haddadi, for Telfair last season. The Raps got OKC's pick from NY in the Bargnani deal.
                              Pick to Phoenix is now going to milwaukee and is 31-36 protected

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Comment

delman21 wrote: View Post

Do you honestly believe that 1) DD is the guy that players want to play with? (usually that is reserved for play-making talents) 2) the signing guys of DD's stature or some good bench guys is going to help this team win a championship?

Time to raise the bar Raps fans. We play for Championships.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X