Weems should not start when he returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems should not start when he returns

This is not a bash Weems thread because he is out injured and Kleiza has had 2 good games in a row.

Rather, the last two games has shown how much duplicity there is between the games of DD and Weems in terms of spacing. DD drives more and Weems plays more of a mid range game but the bottom line is both can only play inside 18-20 feet.

Kleiza has been super inconsistent but when he can stand outside behind the 3 point line and be a threat to score, it opens up other possibilities for the Raptors. Also he helps clear the glass which is needed at the 3 on a team featuring Bargnani.

The biggest difference for Kleiza the last 2 games has been NOT DRIBBLING. Today against LAL, he only made multiple dribbles trying to create once and it was a TO.

I think Kleiza should stay starting even when Weems returns.

Hopefully one of the biggest goals this summer is upgrading the 3/SF.

Kleiza just led all scorers AND rebounders against the Lakers. He shot 4 of 10 from behind the 3-pt-line, which provides am outside threat Weems can't match. Kleiza is a much better choice for starting SF.

Comment

Completely agree. I think Kleiza needed a boost and he seems to be getting it with Sonny out of the line-up. It's hard to get the offense going with DeMar and Sonny on the wing together.

Comment

According to DS, the switch in the starting lineup came irrespective of Weem's injury. So expect Linas there until he hits another slump

Comment

Umm.... Sonny Weems = Wally Pipp. Look it up.

Never been a Weems fan. He harms the team and harms DeMar's development. Kleiza and Weems are 2 different players altogether. I've said this before and I'll day it again, if BC re-signs him to a massive contract, I will give up on him fixing this team. Kleiza has been a proven player in Denver, the Worlds and now. Whether he hits another wall or not, Weems has no business playing more than 20 minutes in my opinion. Take Weems' best game versus Kleiza's last 2, does it even compare? Has he even hit double digits in boards? Case closed.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I thought Kleiza would be a lot meaner/tougher than he is.

He offers a lot more to the team than Weems and should start.

Weems +Derozan on the floor together = garbage.

Comment

They brought Kleiza in for a reason and when he plays within himself he is worth the money. I do like Weems coming off the bench, fighting for playing time. I like his game but its all potential. Maybe we can combine his expiring with someone else for a player that is more complete?

Comment

I've always thought Weems was a SG and not a SF. He's better at guarding guys his size or smaller, but struggles against bigger guys. I wouldn't mind having Wright back up Kleiza a bit more, while Sonny becomes a 3rd stringer on both SG/SF until he gets his shhh together. In any case, between him and Demar having off nights here and there, there will be plenty minutes for each of them.

We honestly just need better wing starters. All we have are bench guys. Good ones, but bench guys nonetheless.

Comment

I did like weems, and common now, we were all on the weems/DD/amir bandwagon towards the end of last season till a couple of games into this season. in fairness to weems, he was the lone bright spot last year when Bosh got injured. He carried much of the scoring load and we all bought in to the hype that he can be one of the future cores of this team. But ive posted numerous times before, as long as jack and weems are there DD's development will either be stumped or go on a really slow pace. Look it up. Yes i said it. Dont get me wrong, I like weems. He can be erratic on offense at time but he's a stats-stuffer. he can give you pts, rebs, asts and stls. but the raps need to choose, him or demar. cant be both.

i think Jay needs to plant his starting 5 and stick to it no matter what. if a starter gets injured, replace him, but when he gets healthy, ease him back into the starting 5. do not wait for another starter to get injured. i think its bad when Triano makes it a "competition" for the starting job. pre-season, yes. but during the season, no. youll have guys coming in a doing more what theyre role allows them to coz theyre thinking if they impress, then they might get a chance to start. and thats when erratic play steps in and causes trouble for the other players and the team.

Comment

jlongs wrote: View Post
                    I've always thought Weems was a SG and not a SF. He's better at guarding guys his size or smaller, but struggles against bigger guys. I wouldn't mind having Wright back up Kleiza a bit more, while Sonny becomes a 3rd stringer on both SG/SF until he gets his shhh together. In any case, between him and Demar having off nights here and there, there will be plenty minutes for each of them.

We honestly just need better wing starters. All we have are bench guys. Good ones, but bench guys nonetheless.
                    totally agree. weems is not an SF. i dont think ive seen him take that much contact in a game, and SFs should be crashing the boards for offensive rebs (james, odom). he should be backing up DD.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      They brought Kleiza in for a reason and when he plays within himself he is worth the money. I do like Weems coming off the bench, fighting for playing time. I like his game but its all potential. Maybe we can combine his expiring with someone else for a player that is more complete?
                      i think the raps will offer weems an extension in the 3-4mil range. and i think thats good enough. but honestly, i think weems is worth more than that. he's slowly starting to add 3s to his game, and when he's got that down, he'll be a really good player. he has a quick first step and very explosive to the basket. just doesnt like contact as much as DD does. i think right now its just attitude, he's trying to do a little bit too much, maybe because its his contract year and of course he wants to get paid, and he probably thinks he should be the go-to guy since he's older than amir and DD.

in a perfect world id start DD and have weems come off the bench, but knowing weems, he wont want that role for his entire career. its fairly obvious that weems wants to be a starter and i think he should be, not just at the expense of DD's development.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                        i think the raps will offer weems an extension in the 3-4mil range. and i think thats good enough. but honestly, i think weems is worth more than that. he's slowly starting to add 3s to his game, and when he's got that down, he'll be a really good player. he has a quick first step and very explosive to the basket. just doesnt like contact as much as DD does. i think right now its just attitude, he's trying to do a little bit too much, maybe because its his contract year and of course he wants to get paid, and he probably thinks he should be the go-to guy since he's older than amir and DD.

in a perfect world id start DD and have weems come off the bench, but knowing weems, he wont want that role for his entire career. its fairly obvious that weems wants to be a starter and i think he should be, not just at the expense of DD's development.
                        Tbihis, I'm gonna have to disagree. How does a one dimensional guy deserve a 350% raise? He hasn't even posted anywhere near Kleiza's best games and I don't recall him even having double digit rebounding. He's a bench player for a reason. If he really wanted the cash, he should put more emphasis on defence. He had the potential with his quickness but as with all NBA players, they're more concerned about padding their offensive stats. Clearly, defence is not his game and is really another "offence off the bench" type player - a player that is all too common in the NBA. Weems should be attached to an expiring contract so that we can garner ourselves some picks. Sell high, while you can. Also, Kleiza is given a $24 million contract for a reason. I recall all the fans and analysts saying that Kleiza can be the man along with Bargs. Clearly his ankles were bothering him and Weems got the start based on circumstances. In case people haven't noticed, this team is slowly becoming Jose's once again. It's still runs, but the sets are slowly becoming half court once again. This means that Kleiza should have a more prominent role in this type of offense. Also, if the teams are to give a different look off of the bench, it really only makes sense to have Bayless, Barbosa and Weems as the players to come together(I hinted at this 2 months ago and will still insist on it, sorry).

On defence, Kleiza is much better, rebounds better and puts more resistance than Weems ever will.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i think that BC should let him walk at the end of the season... no point overpaying for weems & i dont think hes worth more than 1-1.5mill MAX..... id much rather spend the $ on something we could actually use.. we already got DD soo weems is redundant...Klieza is better than weems even on a bad day

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            Tbihis, I'm gonna have to disagree. How does a one dimensional guy deserve a 350% raise? He hasn't even posted anywhere near Kleiza's best games and I don't recall him even having double digit rebounding. He's a bench player for a reason. If he really wanted the cash, he should put more emphasis on defence. He had the potential with his quickness but as with all NBA players, they're more concerned about padding their offensive stats. Clearly, defence is not his game and is really another "offence off the bench" type player - a player that is all too common in the NBA. Weems should be attached to an expiring contract so that we can garner ourselves some picks. Sell high, while you can. Also, Kleiza is given a $24 million contract for a reason. I recall all the fans and analysts saying that Kleiza can be the man along with Bargs. Clearly his ankles were bothering him and Weems got the start based on circumstances. In case people haven't noticed, this team is slowly becoming Jose's once again. It's still runs, but the sets are slowly becoming half court once again. This means that Kleiza should have a more prominent role in this type of offense. Also, if the teams are to give a different look off of the bench, it really only makes sense to have Bayless, Barbosa and Weems as the players to come together(I hinted at this 2 months ago and will still insist on it, sorry).

On defence, Kleiza is much better, rebounds better and puts more resistance than Weems ever will.
                            It really depends on the system. if its a running game, ill take weems over kleiza, if its a halfcourt game, id take kleiza. you cant really compare the 2 because weems is more of an SG/SF player, while Kleiza is a SF/PF. And sorry to disagree but weems is not a one-dimensional player. reggie evans, ben gordon, those are one-dimensional players. weems is a an 11pts/3/rebs/3ast/1stl guy per 25mins. if you give him 30-35 mins consistently, he'll probably get those numbers higher. like i said, its his attitude right now thats the problem. he'd doing way too much. as sad as it may seem, defense doesnt net you a multi-million dollar contract. give me an elite player who doesnt score 20pts or more in a game or more than 10 asts or more than 10 rebs. numbers are what makes you elite, taking charges or blocking another player from getting in the lane. dont get me wrong, those are essential for team success, but when GMs look at players, they look at numbers, then surround these guys with players who can defend.

now that calderon is heading the offense, id much rather have kleiza but weems has a better all around game.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                              i think that BC should let him walk at the end of the season... no point overpaying for weems & i dont think hes worth more than 1-1.5mill MAX..... id much rather spend the $ on something we could actually use.. we already got DD soo weems is redundant...Klieza is better than weems even on a bad day
                              agreed. if the raps are set on DD, then let weems go.

Comment

Working...
                              X