Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Jackson would be awesome to have as GM of the Toronto Raptors or as head coach, if he's the GM, he will most likely hire either Sam Cassell or Brian Shaw, we would love to see a triangle offense type of style for this team.

Jackson would make DeRozan instantly better, could be Heir Jordan or Heir Kobe as opposed to Heir VC.
    Rudy Gay ain't no Scottie Pippen but he can be better scorer
    Amir Johnson is no Horace Grant but he can be a better defender
    Kyle Lowry is a lot better than John Paxon and BJ Armstrong
    Jonas Valanciunas ain't Shaq but he can be a better scorer and hit the open jump shot
    Bargnani will be traded along with T-Ross under Phil Jackson possibly for some key backup veterans

Give a year or two, the Raptors will make some noise in the NBA.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
      Phil Jackson would be awesome to have as GM of the Toronto Raptors or as head coach, if he's the GM, he will most likely hire either Sam Cassell or Brian Shaw, we would love to see a triangle offense type of style for this team.

Jackson would make DeRozan instantly better, could be Heir Jordan or Heir Kobe as opposed to Heir VC.
      Jonas Valanciunas ain't Shaq but he can be a better scorer and hit the open jump shot
      Bargnani will be traded along with T-Ross under Phil Jackson possibly for some key backup veterans

lol
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

But basically, since he started out with the LA Kings and been working under AEG, has he worked in basketball at all? He's just a suit. AEG's scope goes way beyond sports. Is his background being a sports executive? Technically, yes, but really as a businessman. The company also runs lots of random things related to venues and non-sports events.

Also, again, the company was simply a stakeholder in the Lakers. So I again wonder why anyone believes this has any impact on going after Jackson? If he somehow decided to come here, I can't fathom that this would be the reason why. Off the top of my head, there's a situation in Charlotte with his best ex-player as an owner just waiting for someone competent to right the ship. And Jackson has said he'd like a situation where he gets to put his stamp on thigns and help develop a whole organization.

Also pointing out time in Denver and Minnesota is not a plus. Minnesota was a joke until they landed Garnett....Denver was a joke pretty much all through the 90s.

I just keep wondering why people think this is a strong basketball-related hire? Strong general hire? Maybe. But I really see nothing to suggest this guy has any special knowledge of the NBA. He's probably closer to owners and CEOs than he is to players, managers and coaches...in all sports.

Comment

Lol +10ftw.

Comment

This is an implied president title, not GM.. Phil would hire his own GM (most likely) and would have a say on who the coach would be.. I believe Phil would have a better vision for the team, but saying that Phil has no executive experience. So it could turn out badly.

The thing I like about Phil as President is that he can bring some credibility back to the Raptors, something that Colangelo (in my opinion) was unable to do. The Raptors need to become relevant and hiring someone that a lot of people respect in the basketball community can only be a good thing (again in my opinion).

Comment

Or is this just the Landry Fields signing of executives? (Hope getting one guy brings another, even though there's no good reason to have that expectation)

Comment

I think with this above magic we'll be so good that it was cause a tear in the space-time continuum and we will travel back in time and win the past 5 championships! The Heat will make their way through the playoffs but they'll cancel the Finals because omg the Raptors already won it!
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  This is an implied president title, not GM.. Phil would hire his own GM (most likely) and would have a say on who the coach would be.. I believe Phil would have a better vision for the team, but saying that Phil has no executive experience. So it could turn out badly.

The thing I like about Phil as President is that he can bring some credibility back to the Raptors, something that Colangelo (in my opinion) was unable to do. The Raptors need to become relevant and hiring someone that a lot of people respect in the basketball community can only be a good thing (again in my opinion).
                  The thing I would like about this is that BC would finally have someone to answer too. He wouldn't be the smartest person in the room anymore.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Holy crap
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Any scenario where Colangelo is gone is automatically a better situation. Even if the new guy fails to make the playoffs for the next four years he's still done better than BC.

As for how it might work, well, even if Jackson hired a GM, you have to believe Jackson would have a big, big say in personnel decisions, including the coaching staff. A package deal of Jackson, a GM and a head coach as a team coming in would make a lot of sense.

I am way too excited about this.....

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        Holy crap
                        Is that a good Holy Crap or a bad Holy Crap?

Comment

Phil Jackson would bring a level of respectability the team has NEVER had.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

That's (should be) a good "holy crap".

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/g...t-for-the-job/

But what Leiweke might ideally represent is an individual within MLSE who would automatically have the clout with ownership while also having the sports savvy to hold the feet of the team executives in charge of the Leafs, Raptors and TFC to the fire. In his career he’s been the general manager of a soccer team, a president of an NBA team and helped run an NHL team.

He would represent the rare executive voice with first-hand knowledge of how winning franchises manage themselves. He was on the Lakers board of directors and front-and-centre with both the Galaxy and the Kings, challenging management and connecting with players. Coincidence or not, the Galaxy are two-time defending MLS champions and the Kings are coming off one of the most dominant playoff runs in modern NHL history as they won the franchise’s first Stanley Cup in style last June.

Kings captain Dustin Brown considers him a friend and a number of Kings and Galaxy players had personal relationships with the man who paid their coaches and general managers.

It’s a risky approach for a sports executive to take — it’s a very fine line between managing and meddling — but done well it creates a level of accountability that has always been missing at MLSE, where ownership has typically lacked the confidence and know-how to push those entrusted to build winning teams or at least the knowledge to present alternative views.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I just keep wondering why people think this is a strong basketball-related hire? Strong general hire? Maybe. But I really see nothing to suggest this guy has any special knowledge of the NBA. He's probably closer to owners and CEOs than he is to players, managers and coaches...in all sports.
                              Good hire for MLSE generally? Yes. Which automatically makes it a good hire for the Raptors organization.

The reason people are connecting dots here is that MLSE still has not extended Colangelo and there really isn't any good reason for it. They've seen him for 7 years, what could possibly happen in 2 weeks to change their minds either way? Hence, the speculation that they might be replacing him if the right guy wants the job; Phil Jackson maybe wants a job; Jackson worked with the new head of MLSE; MLSE has enough money to hire Jackson.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                                Good hire for MLSE generally? Yes. Which automatically makes it a good hire for the Raptors organization.

The reason people are connecting dots here is that MLSE still has not extended Colangelo and there really isn't any good reason for it. They've seen him for 7 years, what could possibly happen in 2 weeks to change their minds either way? Hence, the speculation that they might be replacing him if the right guy wants the job; Phil Jackson maybe wants a job; Jackson worked with the new head of MLSE; MLSE has enough money to hire Jackson.
                                I can only imagine the amount of money Phil Jackson wants for the job. Regardless, I'm pretty sure MLSE does have enough money to match however many millions he wants as you stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X