OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebrian wrote: View Post
    I stand corrected, looks like it's okay to pull your offer. Houston did it to Courtney Lee yesterday.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/3...ted-free-agent

Just pull it Colangelo.. there's no reason for Landry Fields to be on this team, unless you're hoping to lure Jeremy Lin. The stupid thing was putting all your eggs in one basket though.. they offered Nash that contract and then just stood idle. They should have been running all over the country to speak with Dragic, Lin, Lowry etc.
    Not the same thing. Lee was their player and the offer was the qualifying one. not a rfa one. This is done all the time and accepted. The Fields one unless previously agreed upon or now a mutually accepted decision is not right. Fields signed on in good faith and I dont think NY would look favorably on taking him back. That said, while he is overpaid (about 3-4 mill over the term) I like him as a player and with character. He did have a down year but there were extenuating circumstances which have been already discussed.

Comment

• in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.
        I like him very much as a player and like his fit with the team. I think he is overvalued by about $2M per year though

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          in case anyone was wondering....I still think Landry Fields is a good signing. I think the contract is overvalued by 3 - 4 million over the 3 years. So put me on record as the sole person that has thought about it and still likes the somewhat expensive deal.
          I like Fields, but think the reported contract offer is quite high, especially year-3. I would much rather go after a better, more established starting SF, especially since we still need an infusion of veteran leadership (since Nash obviously won't be providing it), if we're looking to throw around big bucks. At $4-5M per season, I'd like Fields. Once you start talking about nearly $7M per season (on average), I'd rather make a deal for a guy like Iggy or Deng - yes they make much more, but if salary was sent out in the deal, the net impact on the Raptors salary cap would likely only be in the $7M range, give or take a few M, depending who the Raptors trade away.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I like Fields, but think the reported contract offer is quite high, especially year-3. I would much rather go after a better, more established starting SF, especially since we still need an infusion of veteran leadership (since Nash obviously won't be providing it), if we're looking to throw around big bucks. At $4-5M per season, I'd like Fields. Once you start talking about nearly $7M per season (on average), I'd rather make a deal for a guy like Iggy or Deng - yes they make much more, but if salary was sent out in the deal, the net impact on the Raptors salary cap would likely only be in the $7M range, give or take a few M, depending who the Raptors trade away.
            The amount in year three doesn't bother me.

The cap hit is an average of the contract. 3 years at $19M is $6.33M per year.

Having a contract like Fields - relatively short term and decent NBA player - could be useful in future trade discussions.

He is an asset and he is a piece.

Comment

• yeah, if anything the last year of his contract makes him a nice trade chip. i'm fine with him coming aboard, reality is the raps need a infusion of talent and im pretty confident he regains his rookie form not playing with a ball stopper like Melo.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                Listen, they're not going to sell the place to stars anyway. Pull the offer and keep building from within. You think Ross or DeRozan give a damn about Landry Fields? What about future draft picks who have guaranteed money coming their way?
                The Raptors would still have to sell Toronto to other role players like Landry Fields, and other somewhat better players.

Pulling the offer is a possibility but could have dire consequences. What if agents decide there is no point negotiating with the Raptors until the memorandum period is over? Every year? How difficult would it make for the Raptors to sign a targeted free agent under these circumstances?

BryCo gambled and lost, and the Raptors have to live with the consequences.

I would have liked Landry Fields at $12M for 3 years. I believe that would have been a gamble that was worth trying.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Having a contract like Fields - relatively short term and decent NBA player - could be useful in future trade discussions.

He is an asset and he is a piece.
                  Typically, a team which receives a bad contract as part of a trade also receives draft picks or young lowly paid players of (non-established) quality.

Sure the contract can be moved, especially near the last year's trade deadline, but what we will get in return is unlikely to be worth the 2 1/2 year of limitations due to a bad contract.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    Typically, a team which receives a bad contract as part of a trade also receives draft picks or young lowly paid players of (non-established) quality.

Sure the contract can be moved, especially near the last year's trade deadline, but what we will get in return is unlikely to be worth the 2 1/2 year of limitations due to a bad contract.
                    Depends on circumstances of trade partner.

2 years and $12.6M might be more appealing than 2 or 3 years at $30-$50M don't you think?

Comment

• BC just has to hand out at least one bad contract every offseason. Draft picks on rookie scale contracts are infinitely more valuable to a rebuilding team than overpaid mediocre role players like Fields. Colangelo, just rescind the offer and pretend this travesty never happened. While you're at it, amnesty Kleiza.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                        The Raptors would still have to sell Toronto to other role players like Landry Fields, and other somewhat better players.

Pulling the offer is a possibility but could have dire consequences. What if agents decide there is no point negotiating with the Raptors until the memorandum period is over? Every year? How difficult would it make for the Raptors to sign a targeted free agent under these circumstances?

BryCo gambled and lost, and the Raptors have to live with the consequences.

I would have liked Landry Fields at $12M for 3 years. I believe that would have been a gamble that was worth trying.
                        So the extra $2.1M per year would cause Raps to have to give up draft picks and young lowly paid players?

I don't think $2,1M is a deal breaker for the type of contract I was alluding to.

Comment

• I watched a lot of Knicks games the last couple of years and Fields was one of my favorite Knicks. The contract is a bit high but weren't we paying Barbosa similar money. I don't see the huge deal here. I think people are primarily sour on the deal because it is associated with the Nash Fail. It isn't like overpaying 2m a season for a player that has a huge upside is going to handcuff us financially. Hopefully he plays well enough that by the end of the deal it will seem almost worth it.

Comment

• Pill wrote: View Post
                            I watched a lot of Knicks games the last couple of years and Fields was one of my favorite Knicks. The contract is a bit high but weren't we paying Barbosa similar money. I don't see the huge deal here. I think people are primarily sour on the deal because it is associated with the Nash Fail. It isn't like overpaying 2m a season for a player that has a huge upside is going to handcuff us financially. Hopefully he plays well enough that by the end of the deal it will seem almost worth it.
                            One of my concerns is that Toronto now has Fields, JJ, Kleiza, DeRozan, Ross and Forbes on the wings (excluding Acy, who could slide to SF in a big lineup). That is 6 players, 5 of whom are legit, solid rotation players (Forbes being the exclusion). The problem though, is that none of them are proven high-quality STARTERS, with the possible exception of DeRozan if he continues to improve this year - he is weak defensively and has a horrendous outside shot. Ross could very well become a great starting SG, but he's likely at least a few seaons away from that.

DD - at best, he's a starting SG
                            Ross - solid backup SG, could develop into starter in a few seasons
                            Fields - solid backup SG or SF
                            Kleiza - solid backup SF or PF in a smaller lineup
                            JJ - solid backup SF

I still think the Raptors need to add a legitimate, high quality, veteran starting SF. Even if such a SF (ie: Iggy) is acquired and JJ is traded away, the Raptors are still going to be hard pressed to find enough playing time for all 5 players (the same problem holds true even if they roll with the 5 players they have now). Fields is a decent signing, albeit a little overpaid, but he just adds to the logjam at the wing position on the 2nd unit.

Comment

• I think ross will be a starter sooner than later
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                I think ross will be a starter sooner than later
                                That still leaves 5 players for 4 spots. It would also leave us with a rookie starting SG (Ross) and a borderline starter at SF (DeRozan/Fields).

If Fields is actually signed, something's gotta give with the glut of wings and PF - as Nilanka previously mentioned in one of the threads. We have lots of solid rotation players, but very few proven, legitimate starter-calibur players.

Comment

Working...
                                X