X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what? Let's get Josh Smith.

All from ESPN

Impact Players Most Likely To Be Moved
    (Ranked from most likely to least likely to be traded)

1. Josh Smith, F, Hawks
    Smith has been on the trade block for several years, but the Hawks always pull back at the last second. Once again Smith is the talk of the NBA after he was thrown out of practice Tuesday and suspended for Wednesday's game against Brooklyn. His agent says Smith is frustrated, but hasn't demanded a trade.

The Hawks have been fielding calls, but have been reluctant to trade him because they believe Smith's presence in Atlanta could be a powerful lure for Dwight Howard this summer. But with Howard's situation up in the air, the time seems right for the Hawks and Smith to move on. Dallas, Houston, Boston, Milwaukee, Toronto and the Lakers are all potential suitors. The biggest question is: What is the price tag for a mercurial forward who is entering his prime and will be a free agent this summer?
    Toronto Raptors
    Jose Calderon and Ed Davis to Atlanta; Smith to Toronto.

(View the deal in ESPN.com's Trade Machine.)

If the Raptors were willing to offer a package of Calderon (expiring) and Davis for Rudy Gay, as our Marc Stein reported last week, would they do the same for Smith? That would have to tempt the Hawks, who would get a young power forward coming into his own without affecting their cap situation much going forward. But Toronto would probably consider that too much to give up for a player who might bolt for a warmer locale.
    Team needs top end talent. If a know surly player like Lowry can buy in and even be seen fanning calderon after he dropped back to back 3's who to say Josh won't. There's the issue that he might bolt, and he probably will, but lets worry about that when it happens. The league is playing smaller and smaller, and he's the type of player that'd actually fit in really nicely, especially with Val.

I've long been in the "just say no to Josh" boat but facts are facts and the raps need a serious talent infusion. This is one of our best ways of doing so.

Worst case scenario he walks, which only leads to us having 13 mil to play with.
    @sweatpantsjer

love it.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      All from ESPN

Team needs top end talent. If a know surly player like Lowry can buy in and even be seen fanning calderon after he dropped back to back 3's who to say Josh won't. There's the issue that he might bolt, and he probably will, but lets worry about that when it happens. The league is playing smaller and smaller, and he's the type of player that'd actually fit in really nicely, especially with Val.

I've long been in the "just say no to Josh" boat but facts are facts and the raps need a serious talent infusion. This is one of our best ways of doing so.

Worst case scenario he walks, which only leads to us having 13 mil to play with.
      The problem is the Raps won't have $13M to play with.

After trading Davis, they've got $41M guaranteed for next summer. Assuming Kleiza and Gray pick up their options and Lowry's team option is picked up, that leaves Toronto with $4M in cap room (they'd be better off just keeping the MLE as they would be able to offer $5M). Hope the cap goes up $5M and you've got $9M. Amnesty Kleiza and you've got nearly $15M.

Unless Smith did an extend and trade or you got ATL to throw in a 1st round pick, I think you are basically trading away ED for $3.1M in cap space.... not worth it.

Considering Smith is miserable in Atlanta because they are not winning, I don't think he would be happy in Toronto.... like, at all.

Comment

I read the same article on my insider but, I was more interested in Danny Granger. I would do a Bargnani/Granger straight up. I think that the Pacers would be interesting in Andrea. David West will be an restricted free agent and the will need some to replace him. They also need help scoring. Danny would be a great fit with Lowry. I know his 29 turning 30 in April. I don't think his game will change much with old age. His a 3 point shooting wing (career .381 3FG). Known to be a good defender as well. I'm not too sure how many years he had left on his contract
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Danny Granger needs conditioning though coming back from a serious injury I would still do the deal though the team is already moving on without Bargs lets make it final. Cant say Im that much of a fan of the Smith Scenario he will depart asap, thing is though having him for a season would be a great trade aset for the team Smoove is legit talent after all.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            I read the same article on my insider but, I was more interested in Danny Granger. I would do a Bargnani/Granger straight up. I think that the Pacers would be interesting in Andrea. David West will be an restricted free agent and the will need some to replace him. They also need help scoring. Danny would be a great fit with Lowry. I know his 29 turning 30 in April. I don't think his game will change much with old age. His a 3 point shooting wing (career .381 3FG). Known to be a good defender as well. I'm not too sure how many years he had left on his contract
            Unrestricted.

Not sure why Indiana wouldn't resign West unless they try to get someone younger like Paul Millsap (who I think will land in Indiana, fwiw). West will have Bird Rights in Indy.

I'd do Granger for Bargnani though.... in a heart beat.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Unrestricted.

Not sure why Indiana wouldn't resign West unless they try to get someone younger like Paul Millsap (who I think will land in Indiana, fwiw). West will have Bird Rights in Indy.

I'd do Granger for Bargnani though.... in a heart beat.
              Here the piece they had on Danny Granger's situation in Indiana.

4. Danny Granger, F, Pacers
              Granger has missed the entire season with a knee injury, but the Pacers are eyeing his return in late January or early February. If they can get him back into the swing of things quickly -- and get his trade value up -- expect them to try to flip him fast now that Paul George has replaced Granger as the alpha dog of the team.

Indiana needs a long-term replacement for David West, who becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. So if the Pacers could get a young power forward or another young point guard for Granger, I would expect them to make a deal.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm not going to get into his talent at all, because obviously he's got all-star talent.

I really don't see his kind of attitude fitting in too well. As Matt said, he seems to have lost it a bit just because of recent struggles, with a team that's in a pretty good spot about halfway through the season. He's got a track record like that where he seems to have been a difficult player to manage. Again I just don't see the overall benefit to this move. This would be a "BC's trying to save his job" move. We're not a great team, and at best it gives us a better chance at the 8-spot this year. Also, Davis is developing nicely so far, and I would only trade him for a piece that helps beyond this season. And if Jose goes out in the deal, it doesn't give us much more cap-space this offseason, and can't see a situation where Smith re-signs. And if he does, it's likely because management is making the wrong choice, and catering to his ego, paying him big (max?) money, and likely just creating another situation where he'll be a problem for the team whenever he's unhappy.

No thank you...

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Here the piece they had on Danny Granger's situation in Indiana.

4. Danny Granger, F, Pacers
                  Granger has missed the entire season with a knee injury, but the Pacers are eyeing his return in late January or early February. If they can get him back into the swing of things quickly -- and get his trade value up -- expect them to try to flip him fast now that Paul George has replaced Granger as the alpha dog of the team.

Indiana needs a long-term replacement for David West, who becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. So if the Pacers could get a young power forward or another young point guard for Granger, I would expect them to make a deal.
                  Thanks for posting.

I would see Utah as a more likely destination for Granger, to be honest, assuming he comes back healthy. Something like this:
                  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b5emqv6

Then Toronto comes in and fixes the PG situation for Utah with a first rounder or two going back to TO:
                  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d4om3op

I'm not called Trader Matt for nothing you know

Comment

I really see absolutely no reason to go after a starting PF in a trade this season. Ed has earned his minutes, and when JV comes back Amir will be back to splitting time more between positions.

The only trade that 100% absolutely needs to happen is whatever trade can rid of us Bargs without doing anything too damaging to the roster, and to cap-flexibility. Not sure Indiana would want a swap for Bargs. I see it more likely they'd want a similar deal to Memphis for Gay, but probably without throwing Ross in. Jose and Ed for Granger...???
                    I definitely think that Indiana won't take long term salary, because I believe that they will definitely make a run at Millsap this offseason, that is if they decide that committing to West long term is unwise because of his age. The flip side is that they may get West back at a much better price than going after Millsap.

Comment

Burksy!
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Maybe this is the wrong question to be asking here because it's a bit of a derailment, but why do people feel like the Raps need to make a trade sooner rather than later? Is it because you feel like BC is going to make one anyway with his job on the line, or do you genuinely feel like now is the time? Because personally, I think trading away any of DeRozan, Ross, Davis or Val would be a HUGE mistake unless you're getting a top-15, franchise type player back.

Looking at the team's current composition, they have those four young players I mentioned above, none of which projects as being a 'lead the team to the promised land' type, but all of whom would be excellent chips in a trade for such a player. They also have a couple of useful role player types with mid-sized contracts in Amir and Fields, and as long as they have over their draft pick this year, they have the option to trade a pick as well. There's also bargs, but frankly I'm going to ignore him for now because we have no idea what his value is. To me, the Raps have an excellent mix of assets for trading for a franchise player.

So why would you chip away at trading for guys like Gay or Smith or Granger, who likely won't have a significant impact on the team's ability to get out of the first round, when you could wait a bit longer, let your assets appreciate in value, and save them for when a REAL opportunity presents itself?

Comment

I would love Josh Smith, and giving up Calderon and Ed Davis would be fine, however it would only make sense if Atlanta extends him first, then trades him, because he will definitely bounce and we will basically be losing our best trading chip (calderon) and our best young big (Ed Davis) for nothing. That would be a HUGE mistake.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                            Maybe this is the wrong question to be asking here because it's a bit of a derailment, but why do people feel like the Raps need to make a trade sooner rather than later? Is it because you feel like BC is going to make one anyway with his job on the line, or do you genuinely feel like now is the time? Because personally, I think trading away any of DeRozan, Ross, Davis or Val would be a HUGE mistake unless you're getting a top-15, franchise type player back.

Looking at the team's current composition, they have those four young players I mentioned above, none of which projects as being a 'lead the team to the promised land' type, but all of whom would be excellent chips in a trade for such a player. They also have a couple of useful role player types with mid-sized contracts in Amir and Fields, and as long as they have over their draft pick this year, they have the option to trade a pick as well. There's also bargs, but frankly I'm going to ignore him for now because we have no idea what his value is. To me, the Raps have an excellent mix of assets for trading for a franchise player.

So why would you chip away at trading for guys like Gay or Smith or Granger, who likely won't have a significant impact on the team's ability to get out of the first round, when you could wait a bit longer, let your assets appreciate in value, and save them for when a REAL opportunity presents itself?
                            I agree with all of this.
                            Welp, that sucked.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=arjb7av
                              Jose, Andrea & Kleiza for Granger, Mahinmi and Augustin.

How 'bout that?

Comment

Working...
                              X