This Team Needs to Attack the Rim on Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmie wrote: View Post
    That's the bottom line on these forums. This is why the circle keeps turning on discussions of tank/no-tank, Gay/Derozan/Lowry, etc. One sub-section of fans thinks quite highly of the current roster, and the other sub-section sees significant flaws.

Never the twain shall meet.
    Speaking for myself at least, the tank/no-tank divide isn't as simply defined as that, perhaps on either side.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
      Speaking for myself at least, the tank/no-tank divide isn't as simply defined as that, perhaps on either side.
      Exactly lol. Not all the anti-tankers think this is a 50 win team.

I'm just opposed to selling low on players. Trading Lowry and Gay now just to tank would be kind of silly, especially considering it's very likely that they will raise their value during this season since they're in contract years (and also in bigger roles than they have been for most of their careers). Pretty sure Ujiri knows this as well.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
        I'm not overestimating the roster. I expect us to win anywhere from 35-41 games. This has a lot to do with the team being poorly coached.

People kind of underestimate how big of an impact good coaching can make on a team. Look at the Grizzlies and tell me what amazing talents they had that allowed them to win 56 games. It's not a coincidence either that unknown players go to the Spurs and play amazing, then wet the bed as soon as they go elsewhere (Roger Mason Jr. anyone?).

Yes, winning in the NBA is about talent, but it's also about maximizing the talent you have.
        Just like it was no coincidence that player after player had career years with Nash feeding them, then fizzled elsewhere.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          Just like it was no coincidence that player after player had career years with Nash feeding them, then fizzled elsewhere.
          Yep player performance is LARGELY a product of the role and system that they're in.

Some teams make the mistake of trying to mold players into what they want them to be, instead of maximizing and improving on the talents they already have. Generally these teams do not perform well. We saw it right here in Toronto, with the Raptors trying to develop Bargnani as a center when that was clearly not what he was designed to do.

As much as we hate the guy for his laziness. If he had been drafted by a team with a better player development system I'm sure he would've turned out much differently.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            Some teams make the mistake of trying to mold players into what they want them to be, instead of maximizing and improving on the talents they already have.
            Well said. A lot of coaches, basketball as well as football, are regimental types without a lick of creativity, except perhaps in Xs and Ox. They especially have trouble with guys that are unconventional in their skill sets or general approach to the game. Then there are coaches that do not have sufficient psychological insight into their players, if any, and just tell so-and-so to do what they are told without any kind of support or motivational strategy.

Right now, the Indiana Pacers are taking a guy who played most of his life as a scoring guard, George Hill, and have turned him into a pretty decent point guard. The Atlanta Hawks once again are playing a natural power forward, Al Horford, as a center. Both those players have done admirably, but might do even better if they played positions more suited to their game.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              You really think the Raps have more talent than a 57-win Denver team? The Nuggets had so many quality players Karl couldn't find minutes for everyone. More than that, the collection of players Denver has (or had) compliment(ed) each other on the floor in a way that the "big-fat-ball-of-elastic bands-glue-duct tape-paper mache-pile of crap" roster that Colangelo built doesn't.

Even after last year, people are still badly overestimating this roster. It's going to be another major disappointment for some people this season.
              I'm surprised it took so many replies before someone stated the obvious. The original thread post says we have better offensive players, better defensive players and equal rebounding to a team that won 57 games....if that is true, then either George Karl is the greatest coach (was let go by the team) or that Casey is the worst coach; I personally believe neither to be true.

A big part of the Nuggets success that cannot be duplicated is that they play in Denver with the elevation. Don't think that's a big factor? Denver went 38-3 at home last year and were 3 games under .500 on the road (19-22). That is too big of a disparity to ignore.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

This makes perfect sense - The Raptors are the greatest 34 win team in the history of the sport.

Comment

We have better offensive talent yet we fall short of the Nuggets in virtually every offensive metric. We have better defensive talent yet fall short in a bunch of defensive metrics beyond raw points allowed per game (attributed to Denver's breakneck pace).

Naturally, when you have superior talent on both sides of the ball compared to a certain team... you lose 23 more games than them in a season.

Comment

Highest point in Toronto is at Steeles West and Keele at a whopping 685 feet above sea level (Denver 5280 feet above). I guess we have no choice but to get a better team guys.

Comment

Never mind this thread. Let's just get what we can for Gay, Lowry, DeMar Amir and roll out this lineup:

Augustin
                      Buycks
                      Ross
                      Daye
                      Val

Comment

I like the idea of trying those strategies. Although the current personnel is anti-George Karl. I'd be curious to know what Karl himself would do with these guys. I suspect they'd either transform as players, or he would strangle them. Gay and DeMar especially. But Jonas too to a degree, George Karl wouldn't allow all those shot fakes.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          I like the idea of trying those strategies. Although the current personnel is anti-George Karl. I'd be curious to know what Karl himself would do with these guys. I suspect they'd either transform as players, or he would strangle them. Gay and DeMar especially. But Jonas too to a degree, George Karl wouldn't allow all those shot fakes.
                          This reminds me off an old basketball quote from a coach, can't quite remember who:
                          Reporter: How do you feel about the execution of your players?
                          Coach: I'm all for it.

Another unrelated but somehow fits for the Raps:
                          "We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."—Weldon Drew
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                            George Karl would do what he's done for the past decade and a half. Play fast pace basketball that attempts to outscore his opponents, win a solid number of games in the regular season, and then lose in the first round of the playoffs because that brand of basketball doesn't fit the playoffs

Comment

without Bargnani theres a possibility.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                                George Karl would do what he's done for the past decade and a half. Play fast pace basketball that attempts to outscore his opponents, win a solid number of games in the regular season, and then lose in the first round of the playoffs because that brand of basketball doesn't fit the playoffs
                                That's selling him short a little. His Seattle and Milwaukee teams were weren't just run and gun.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X