Casey, Lowry and Anderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    It's one of those games that Raps. should've won but didn't. There are going to be such heart breakers.

Casey's substitutions though have been questionable. Keeping Calderon on the court for most of the 4th quarter is important.
    Again, I think if irving misses the RR boards is nothing but rainbows, unicorns and bunny rabbits. Instead he made the shot and now the sky is falling. our fans are Bipolar.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
      Again, I think if irving misses the RR boards is nothing but rainbows, unicorns and bunny rabbits. Instead he made the shot and now the sky is falling. our fans are Bipolar.
      The sky isn't falling man. Just pointing out that it wasn't just Irving hit a big shot...he was given the shot. I would definitely be a bit less upset if we, you know, actually defended the last possession. He hit a big shot, but not a tough shot.

Comment

i wouldnt go that far.. after DD game winner the other day there was still pessimism running rampant on here. not everyone watches with rosey colored glasses LOL

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Go watch Mike Fratello's breakdown of the play on nba.com. It's on the front page as one of the top 6 stories. Anderson totally misplays, great player or not that Irving is. And FWIW, in the replay Casey is clearly screaming at him to close the gap. I don't care if it's from 50 feet, YOU DO NOT LET THE OTHER TEAM'S BEST PLAYER TAKE AN OPEN 3 PT SHOT FOR THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME WHEN YOU'RE UP 2, IT'S JUST COMMON SENSE. Would Irving had still hit a shot if Anderson was actually right up on him? Maybe, he is a great player, but he certainly got exactly the shot he wanted and never had a doubt about it in his mind, and the D did nothing to prevent it at all.
          I agree.

A 30 ft jump shot with no defensive pressure is a joke for Irving and a lot of other NBA players. His coach told him to shoot for the win, he knew he was going to take a 3, he walked the ball up, lined up his shot and stepped in to it... swoosh.

The comparison to the Lin play last year are appropriate becuase it was pretty much the exact same play.... and outcome.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I agree.

A 30 ft jump shot with no defensive pressure is a joke for Irving and a lot of other NBA players. His coach told him to shoot for the win, he knew he was going to take a 3, he walked the ball up, lined up his shot and stepped in to it... swoosh.

The comparison to the Lin play last year are appropriate becuase it was pretty much the exact same play.... and outcome.
            Ive watched this play more than a few times today after watching it live. My reaction is still the same. If a guy is going to hit a 30 ft jumper to win the game .. then so be it .. not a lot you can do. Sure, i buy that given where the clock was and the lack of movement / screens by the other players, you maybe should be a little tighter .. but again, he pulled up from 5 feet beyond the 3 pt line! I dont know the percentages off hand (im sure there is somewhere to track it) .. but I would guess this is a shot that even the best players in the league (Kyrie certainly fits in that bucket) hit 20% of the time. Ill take those odds ..

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
              Ive watched this play more than a few times today after watching it live. My reaction is still the same. If a guy is going to hit a 30 ft jumper to win the game .. then so be it .. not a lot you can do. Sure, i buy that given where the clock was and the lack of movement / screens by the other players, you maybe should be a little tighter .. but again, he pulled up from 5 feet beyond the 3 pt line! I dont know the percentages off hand (im sure there is somewhere to track it) .. but I would guess this is a shot that even the best players in the league (Kyrie certainly fits in that bucket) hit 20% of the time. Ill take those odds ..
              Fair enough.

But I personally think the talent of Kyrie Irving is being underestimated severely here and the respect he should have been given on that last play. A 2 sends the game to overtime and a 3 is game over.

But to each his own.

Comment

I have no idea why AA didnt contest that shot Its mindboggling dude didnt listen to his coach bad awarness all around. You could hear it on the computer Casey "Close Out CLOSE OUT!" AA just stood on the line.... He let Kyrie hit a shot like he was in the gym alone.

And Casey also drew up a full court press for that last shot AA just was on the 3 line, should have pressured Kyrie up the floor why wouldn't you? its hard to make a play under desperation. the game is on AA and Amir.

Comment

It's the timing of the play that's at issue. Anderson clearly should have closed when he could see the clock (directly behind Irving) go down to 2 seconds. At that point, you simply close hard without fouling and hope for the best. Irving is not driving at that point. It IS exactly the same as the Jose-Lin play last year, and Jose should have closed out, too. Just a big defensive brain fart by AA that probably cost them the game.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                    It's the timing of the play that's at issue. Anderson clearly should have closed when he could see the clock (directly behind Irving) go down to 2 seconds. At that point, you simply close hard without fouling and hope for the best. Irving is not driving at that point. It IS exactly the same as the Jose-Lin play last year, and Jose should have closed out, too. Just a big defensive brain fart by AA that probably cost them the game.
                    Kyrie had already picked up his dribble and was in to his shot with 3/3.1secs.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                      Yeah that is something being over looked. It got to a point where Anderson has got to know that Irving is going to shoot it. It was, despite what people seem to think, a poor defensive play.

But I think focusing on the shot so much is silly, and it is avoiding the true issue. It is not Anderson's fault we lost the game. We should not have been in that position. We start the fourth quarter up 9 against a team on a back to back and on the road. We have got to put that game away. This is a huge problem with Casey that was evident last year as well. This team, even last year, had the ability to stick with good teams until that final quarter. Casey needs to fix this. To start the fourth, we need to put our starters out there. Acy, Amir, Ross, Anderson, and Lowry is not the lineup we should be rolling with to start a fourth quarter. Whether its the two pg back court he ran a bit, or the 4 guard line up vs. the Heat, he has not shown that he knows how to coach his guys to finish a game. I like Casey, I really do, but this is a huge problem.

You can talk about how a 30 foot three point shot is an acceptable one to allow, but what is not acceptable is blowing a lead, and then putting the ball in the hands of arguably one of the best closers in the game, and letting him decide whether we win or lose.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                        To start the fourth, we need to put our starters out there. Acy, Amir, Ross, Anderson, and Lowry is not the lineup we should be rolling with to start a fourth quarter.
                        This, I agree with 100%.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          i wouldnt go that far.. after DD game winner the other day there was still pessimism running rampant on here. not everyone watches with rosey colored glasses LOL
                          I dont watch with rose goggles. but i certainly dont watch the games through a half empty glass.

what do we expect at this point with the team??? like really

-competitive team
                          -play tough basketball
                          - losses are still close (many of the losses could have been wins)
                          -our team is dealing with significant injuries to 2 of our big men atm
                          - we have no stars.

the next step for us is we need a legit star on our team. When we get one some of those close games will be wins.

Yes we should have won this game but the Cavs star player triumphed. How many games do the raptors win this year if Irving was our point guard instead of lowry. my guess, we'd already be in the top 8 in the east, set to make the playoffs playoffs

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Fair enough.

But I personally think the talent of Kyrie Irving is being underestimated severely here and the respect he should have been given on that last play. A 2 sends the game to overtime and a 3 is game over.

But to each his own.
                            I think you've both have said it perfectly. I felt the same way after the shot fell. At first I thought "wtf was anderson doing". Then I thought about how far Irving shot from and my reaction was "wow.... I cant believe how sick Irving is".

I'm not mad at our Raptors for it, I'm impressed with Kyrie Irving though. He made me a fan with a couple crisp spin moves, his ability to finish in traffic and a heroic 30 ft 3 pointer to win the game by a single point.

to conclude, we need a star... where's our Kyrie Irving?

Comment

I dont watch with rose goggles. but i certainly dont watch the games through a half empty glass.

what do we expect at this point with the team??? like really

-competitive team
                              -play tough basketball
                              - losses are still close (many of the losses could have been wins)
                              -our team is dealing with significant injuries to 2 of our big men atm
                              - we have no stars.

the next step for us is we need a legit star on our team. When we get one some of those close games will be wins.

Yes we should have won this game but the Cavs star player triumphed. How many games do the raptors win this year if Irving was our point guard instead of lowry. my guess, we'd already be in the top 8 in the east, set to make the playoffs playoffs
                              i wasnt suggesting u watch with rose colored glasses LOL some on here do though. I agree we need a Star.. at some point when u realize all the guys uve drafted are just GOOD role players & not Stars u need to start thinking package deal to get a star..& one still young enough to be a difference maker for years to come..easier said then done i know but at this point id say BArgs, DD wont be guys that become stars...best case sinario is 2-3 option for both..

i read that was Kyrie's 5th game winner already too LOL for a second year player that is impressive!
                              Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sun Jan 27, 2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

When the he'll is Casey going to see that jose was sharing the ball and getting players in the right spot? To keep him out for that long only to have him come in when the lead is gone is just not cool. Darn you Casey, wake the fuc up man.

This is on you more than anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X