Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Ed Davis Thread - Can Davis And Johnson Play Together Effectively?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ed Davis Thread - Can Davis And Johnson Play Together Effectively?

Right now the Raptors have 5 legitimate bigs, i.e., Davis, Johnson, Bargnani, Anderson and Evans. Dorsey may make the team and Alabi may make the active roster but for now lets assume that if they do their minutes in 10-11 will be limited mostly to garbage time.

Most will agree that the three that will see the most minutes in 10-11, barring injury are Bargnani, Davis and Johnson.

We all know that we will see on he court together quite a bit of

Bargnani and Johnson
    Bargnani and Davis

So what happens when Bargnani goes off the court for say 13 - 15 a game?

The first answer may be that that will be D. Anderson time.

However, will it necessarily be D. Anderson that is on the court with either Davis or Johnson or will we see

Davis and Johnson on the court together?

If so do you gals/guys think that the two can be effective together especially given their lack of bulk, their lack of experience and their apparent lack of scoring ability.

I happen to think that Triano will experiment with Davis and Johnson on the court together. I am looking for him to try it during pre-season to see how it looks. If it seems to work in the pre-season my guess is that we could see a lot of it during the regular season especially against teams without a heavy center.

1. Could Davis and Johnson be effective against teams without a heavy center on the court?

Personally I think that they could and will become very effective on defense against those types of teams.

2.Will they be able to score enough?

i think that those two playing together will more often than not (over 50% of the time) result in the Raptors out scoring their opponent.

It may not happen right away but as Davis and Johnson get to know one another tendencies I think it will
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Interesting point. I tend to agree and think that it could work, it all depends on how Davis' post D is against larger opponents I guess

Comment

I remember Triano saying that one of the things that surprised him about Davis was how well he was passing the ball in Summer League. This being said, they should have no problem coexisting on the offensive end.
      Defensively, once Davis acquires a feel for the NBA both their effectiveness on weakside help should make up for their "lack of size".
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you reach Max Level, you stop leveling

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

And depends on how quickly Davis develops his body. He needs size and that will be the biggest impact to his game. Over time I agree this would be a good combo on the floor but not at first buyer hope triano doesn't give up on the idea too early.

Comment

what do you mean by "heavy center"?

cause a center tends to out weigh all other positions.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            And depends on how quickly Davis develops his body. He needs size and that will be the biggest impact to his game. Over time I agree this would be a good combo on the floor but not at first buyer hope triano doesn't give up on the idea too early.
            I don't think that Triano will give up on the idea early. Combined they only have about 5000 post high school minutes and both are young so they both will develop a lot more than what we see now.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

if your going for a small man line up then sure davis and johnson would work ok together but i wouldnt be thinking about putting davis at center till he bulks up some. teams like atlanta you maybe able to get away with this but i wouldnt reccommend it.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                if your going for a small man line up then sure davis and johnson would work ok together but i wouldnt be thinking about putting davis at center till he bulks up some. teams like atlanta you maybe able to get away with this but i wouldnt reccommend it.
                I think you mean less bulky when you say small and not short.

Comment

That's what training camp is for to test out various line ups and see how folks play together as a unit.

I can see the YG'z:

Johnson (who has bulked up a bit this summer)
                  Davis
                  DeRozan
                  Weems
                  Jack

getting alot of court time together as a small ball, run & gun energy unit.

Comment

If Ed Davis bulks up, a Davis + Amir combo could be akin to the Antonio Davis + JYD combo we had a long time ago. Defensive-minded, rebounding, hustle players... ah those were the days.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                      That's what training camp is for to test out various line ups and see how folks play together as a unit.

I can see the YG'z:

Johnson (who has bulked up a bit this summer)
                      Davis
                      DeRozan
                      Weems
                      Jack

getting alot of court time together as a small ball, run & gun energy unit.
                      That lineup has an average actual height of over 6'7". In actuality if you add up the actual height of all those players it is very close to the Celtics starting five with O'Neal and actually taller than when Perkins starts.

What that Raptors lineup is is "light in the pants" but it is not small. We ain't talking football here. or are we?
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Aug 12, 2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        That lineup has an average actual height of over 6'7". In actuality if you add up the actual height of all those players it is very close to the Celtics starting five with O'Neal and actually taller than when Perkins starts.
                        And?

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                          And?
                          That unit is not a small ball unit like you said.

That is a typical NBA unit though a little light, but not small

With Johnson and Davis you have two guys that can score in the low post

If you are considering not scoring a lot in low post as the definition of "small ball unit" then this starting five would be a "small ball unit"

Barganani
                          Dorsey
                          DeRozan
                          Weems
                          Jack

Comment

I think when Triano/BC mentioned small ball for 10-11 they were thinking of something like this

Johnson/Bargnani
                            DeRozan/Weems
                            Calderon/Kleiza
                            Jack
                            Barbosa

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              That unit is not a small ball unit like you said.

That is a typical NBA unit though a little light, but not small

With Johnson and Davis you have two guys that can score in the low post

If you are considering not scoring a lot in low post as the definition of "small ball unit" then this starting five would be a "small ball unit"

Barganani
                              Dorsey
                              DeRozan
                              Weems
                              Jack
                              You think so, huh?lol To each their own..............

Comment

Working...
                              X