Phil Jackson likes Raptors fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Jackson likes Raptors fans

"Before the Lakers prepared to play the Toronto Raptors tonight, Coach Phil Jackson was asked whether it was a different challenge to play a game in Canada versus playing games in the United States.

Jackson, being Jackson, gave his unique answer.

"It's the same game," Jackson started. "It's a little different fan crew. I like their fans.They've learned how to holler at the right time."

Source:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...me-report.html
    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

No doubt basketball culture in Toronto has came a LONG way since the mid-90's.

Comment

Ain't that the truth, I can remember being the only one in the sprite zone cheering for an offensive board, a diving-to-the-floor save, or taking a charge. It's a no-brainer to cheer for a big block out of bounds but not as easy to see that the box out to get the loose ball foul is actually the play with more game impact. The fans are coming along nicely though.
      limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

When Raptors fans get there they will realize how patronizing Jackson's comments are.

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
          When Raptors fans get there they will realize how patronizing Jackson's comments are.
          Yes its true, I feel that Phil was mocking Raptor's fans with this comment.

But screw Phil, Raptors won!

Comment

He's saying the fans understand what they're watching now... Meaning they didn't before. So true. I feel he was taking a stab at where the fans used to be. Its well deserved and I'm not going to take offense to it. Phil is right and has room to talk.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              Yes its true, I feel that Phil was mocking Raptor's fans with this comment.

But screw Phil, Raptors won!
              You have got to know Phil to appreciate the warm humor in this quote.

All of us more than a few times have thrown jibes at those we love or at least feel affection for.

I don't read anything malicious, mocking or condescending in this remark by Jackson.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                You have got to know Phil to appreciate the warm humor in this quote.
                Also soooo patronizing lol.

You have to visit the Jackson Ranch and have some of Mrs. Jackson's otherworldly honey hams. This has given me magnificent insight on Mr. Jackson's comments!

I appreciate what you're saying about humor, and ribbing people you
                love --because I usually love your posts! But you don't know Phil Jackson more than anyone who has the internet. Unless you do. Then I owe you an appology.

If Jackson had wanted to say Raptors fans have become sophisticated or knowledgeable, he had a perfect moment.

Comment

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=2481478

NP called it a backhanded compliment.

Comment

NewRapCity wrote: View Post
                    Also soooo patronizing lol.

You have to visit the Jackson Ranch and have some of Mrs. Jackson's otherworldly honey hams. This has given me magnificent insight on Mr. Jackson's comments!

I appreciate what you're saying about humor, and ribbing people you
                    love --because I usually love your posts! But you don't know Phil Jackson more than anyone who has the internet. Unless you do. Then I owe you an appology.

If Jackson had wanted to say Raptors fans have become sophisticated or knowledgeable, he had a perfect moment.
                    Living in Los Angeles I watch all the Lakers games. The Lakers home games are on cable and they have an hour long pre-game show before each game. Part of that hour long show is a segment entitled "Philosophy 101" staring Phil Jackson. I must have watched well over a hundred of these segments over the years. So as a result I do feel that I understand his basketball comments a bit better than those fans who don't live in the Los Angeles area and take advantage of the opportunity to watch his segment on the Lakers pre-game show. Jackson is very entertaining on these and and throws out many a caustic comment in a friendly give and take with the emcee Bill MacDonald, who finally had his hair cut

Jackson's humor is of the very understated nature.

I will be the first to admit that not everyone's enjoys or likes this type of humor, but I happen to enjoy it and I am not ashamed to admit it.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jan 25, 2010, 02:37 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

its not the Jackson Ranch..

Seriously tho, yes its an advantage. I grew up there and miss it. Badd. No wonder I like your posts...you are the sophisticated fan that Phil Jackson is accustomed to! But why are you interested in the Purple Barneys?

Comment

Working...
                      X