Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2: Brooklyn Nets 95 - Toronto Raptors 100 (Series Tied 1-1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I think the Nets are better when Plumlee is on the floor than KG but he has been in foul trouble. Hansborough at the end of the first quarter to get Plumlee into even quicker foul trouble could be an added benefit.

JV getting gassed (or in foul trouble) too early could hurt us down the stretch too. We really need him in the second half of games
    Agreed on Plumlee producing well, but KG's jumper was going early then seemed to disappear in Game 2.

Plumlee is a foul guy, he always will be, but it's more than just getting him to foul out, it's about getting into bonus earlier in the quarter. Free Throws are a strength for the Raps, so getting there for every tick tack call (that may be called) is a very highly efficient possession.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Maybe Casey is saving him for the Heat and Birdman in the next round
      "Masai WILL win us a championship"
      - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

• I think the best way to use Hansbrough is to commit to a five minute shift each half. You want to get to the point where by game six or seven, your opponent gets twitchy every time he steps on the court. And guaranteed, if Hansbrough is playing late 3rd, early 4th in game 1, we don't have a situation where Brooklyn's got no fouls in the quarter. Hansbourgh's presence force officials to call the game a certain way, and if the Raptors are prepared to be the more physical team (which I think they showed last night), then it benefits them.
        I can't find many faults with Casey's rotations last night, and as long as Patterson is playing well (which he was last night), it's difficult to commit to playing Hansbrough. But I'd rather protect our bigs' minutes early in the series with a little Hansbrough here and there then risk tiring them out and need to play Hansbrough or Hayes in larger chunks in later games.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
          I think the best way to use Hansbrough is to commit to a five minute shift each half. You want to get to the point where by game six or seven, your opponent gets twitchy every time he steps on the court. And guaranteed, if Hansbrough is playing late 3rd, early 4th in game 1, we don't have a situation where Brooklyn's got no fouls in the quarter. Hansbourgh's presence force officials to call the game a certain way, and if the Raptors are prepared to be the more physical team (which I think they showed last night), then it benefits them.
          I can't find many faults with Casey's rotations last night, and as long as Patterson is playing well (which he was last night), it's difficult to commit to playing Hansbrough. But I'd rather protect our bigs' minutes early in the series with a little Hansbrough here and there then risk tiring them out and need to play Hansbrough or Hayes in larger chunks in later games.
          I only had 2 complaints:

1. Leaving Valanciunas in for the entire 1st quarter, when he was clearly exhausted. He lost a couple rebound battles that wound up in some 2nd chance points being scored by Brooklyn. Patterson came in for Amir fairly late in the quarter, so it would have to have been Hansbrough to come in for JV.

2. Sticking with DeRozan throughout the 3rd quarter, where he was regularly abused by JJ/AA, instead of bringing in Fields. The lead was lost and the momentum shifted because of his horrendous defense and turnovers, which were both getting worse with his mounting frustration. He came back better in the 4th quarter after sitting on the bench; I'm not sure why that just wasn't done sooner (even the commentators were pointing it out every trip down the court).

Both issues seemed painfully obvious and led to points for Brooklyn. Had Toronto lost the game and gone down 2-0 in the series, I think DC would be facing much more scrutiny over those types of decisions (and rightfully so). Winning doesn't excuse poor decision making, especially in the playoffs.
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Apr 23, 2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Game 2: Brooklyn Nets 95 - Toronto Raptors 100 (Series Tied 1-1)

Axel wrote: View Post
            Agreed on Plumlee producing well, but KG's jumper was going early then seemed to disappear in Game 2.

Plumlee is a foul guy, he always will be, but it's more than just getting him to foul out, it's about getting into bonus earlier in the quarter. Free Throws are a strength for the Raps, so getting there for every tick tack call (that may be called) is a very highly efficient possession.
            I assume you mean paul pierce? KGs jumper seemed fine in game 2. It was in the first game he wasn't hitting anything. PPs shot vanished in game 2.

But yah, I remember we had nets in foul trouble super early with 5-6 min left in the quarter. I don't think we took advantage at all.
            Last edited by iblastoff; Wed Apr 23, 2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• So Casey didn't play Hayes or salmons plus he played fields to shut down JJ. Making the right decisions when it matters most

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I only had 2 complaints:

1. Leaving Valanciunas in for the entire 1st quarter, when he was clearly exhausted. He lost a couple rebound battles that wound up in some 2nd chance points being scored by Brooklyn. Patterson came in for Amir fairly late in the quarter, so it would have to have been Hansbrough to come in for JV.

2. Sticking with DeRozan throughout the 3rd quarter, where he was regularly abused by JJ/AA, instead of bringing in Fields. The lead was lost and the momentum shifted because of his horrendous defense and turnovers, which were both getting worse with his mounting frustration. He came back better in the 4th quarter after sitting on the bench; I'm not sure why that just wasn't done sooner (even the commentators were pointing it out every trip down the court).

Both issues seemed painfully obvious and led to points for Brooklyn. Had Toronto lost the game and gone down 2-0 in the series, I think DC would be facing much more scrutiny over those types of decisions (and rightfully so). Winning doesn't excuse poor decision making, especially in the playoffs.
                Yeah, Casey still needs to improve the staggering of his rotations. I'd love to see DD and Amir head to the bench (for Fields and Patterson) about 4 minutes into the 1st Q, then return at the end of the Q for Ross and JV when GV comes in for Lowry. Play them some minutes against the bench unit while JJ/Pierce are off the floor. Same idea in the 2nd half, maybe even starting with Ross on the bench and Fields guarding JJ to start the 3rd Q, with Ross and GV in for Lowry and DD late in the Q. The trick is to have Patman in when Fields is in, so the spacing doesn't get screwed up.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  I assume you mean paul pierce? KGs jumper seemed fine in game 2. It was in the first game he wasn't hitting anything. PPs shot vanished in game 2.

But yah, I remember we had nets in foul trouble super early with 5-6 min left in the quarter. I don't think we took advantage at all.
                  I think he meant that KG was on fire to start game 2, but disappeared in the second half of game 2.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    I think he meant that KG was on fire to start game 2, but disappeared in the second half of game 2.
                    ahh that makes sense

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, Casey still needs to improve the staggering of his rotations. I'd love to see DD and Amir head to the bench (for Fields and Patterson) about 4 minutes into the 1st Q, then return at the end of the Q for Ross and JV when GV comes in for Lowry. Play them some minutes against the bench unit while JJ/Pierce are off the floor. Same idea in the 2nd half, maybe even starting with Ross on the bench and Fields guarding JJ to start the 3rd Q, with Ross and GV in for Lowry and DD late in the Q. The trick is to have Patman in when Fields is in, so the spacing doesn't get screwed up.
                      I agree Casey needs some serious tweaks to his rotations, but no way I would take Demar out after only 4 minutes.

Comment

• Ya, the Nets get tired as the game goes on, thats why i'd like to see Hansborough in to use 6 fouls on Garnett and Pierce in the first half....wear them down, literally. You could see it in PP's jumper, he will miss more as the series goes on if he's pushed physically....Garnett's back will fail.

But you have to do it with force. You need to be physical as hell.

The ends will justify the means, and we ALL know the whistles will be out on the raps..... so they might as well make it worth their while.

If Garnett wants to compare the Raptors to YMCA players, great, lets play a little YMCA basketball, and where I'm from, that mean't really, REALLY tough ball.

Comment

• If you just got beat by a YMCA team isn't that more embarrassing for you
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
                            So Casey didn't play Hayes or salmons plus he played fields to shut down JJ. Making the right decisions when it matters most
                            All of us that have criticized him this year ,myself included, have to praise him for making the right adjustments.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              All of us that have criticized him this year ,myself included, have to praise him for making the right adjustments.
                              Really? Praise an NBA coach for doing what so many lowly fans have been suggesting for much of the season (at the very least since the new team luster wore off Salmons)?

Many of his supporters have trashed fans/posters for claiming to know better than an NBA coach, throughout the season. Yet when he finally does something that was painfully obvious, he should get praised? Granted it might have saved his job, but that's hardly a glowing recommendation of his coaching abilities long-term.

Plus, the fact that he burned out JV in the 1st quarter and let Fields rot on the bench in the 3rd quarter, while DeRozan was doing his best impression of a turnstile, far outweigh any good decisions he made. His bad decisions nearly cost the Raptors the game, while his good decision was called for by most fans, reporters, etc...

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                Ya, the Nets get tired as the game goes on, thats why i'd like to see Hansborough in to use 6 fouls on Garnett and Pierce in the first half....wear them down, literally. You could see it in PP's jumper, he will miss more as the series goes on if he's pushed physically....Garnett's back will fail.

But you have to do it with force. You need to be physical as hell.

The ends will justify the means, and we ALL know the whistles will be out on the raps..... so they might as well make it worth their while.

If Garnett wants to compare the Raptors to YMCA players, great, lets play a little YMCA basketball, and where I'm from, that mean't really, REALLY tough ball.
                                I agree. We need to play extremely physical next game and bang them up a bit and take advantage of the shorter rest between game 3 and 4. Also get Ross involved offensively early on. I don't think he's gonna shit the bed three games in a row, and at this point I don't think the nets staff are really planning for him given his weak first two games.

Comment

Working...
                                X