CNNSI's view on Colangelo's plan in wake of Gay Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    You do know that we've only had one real good three point threat the last month in the starting line up. The offensive has been just fine. Kyle Lowry likes to drive yes but, he isn't one dimentional his averages 3 three point field goals a game.
    We haven't had a three threat, but it hasn't been as important when the offence was built around ball movement and pick and roll (Jose's specialities). That offence is dead and gone.

I agree, Kyle isn't one dimensional. In fact, I think he is still the best player on this team, but by adding an overlap of slashers that can't shoot, Lowry is going to find his driving lanes smaller and smaller. Lowry has been playing with Alan Anderson and Terrence Ross, the only two shooters on this team (other than Lowry). Telling Lowry to play the spot up shooter so Gay and Demar can drive is counter-intuitive to his style and what he does best.

I hope this deal works out, but the styles clash unless we move Demar to the bench for Ross (or even Anderson). No shooters = no lanes. No lanes for the slashers = lots of long twos. Long twos = the worst shot in basketball.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      We haven't had a three threat, but it hasn't been as important when the offence was built around ball movement and pick and roll (Jose's specialities). That offence is dead and gone.

I agree, Kyle isn't one dimensional. In fact, I think he is still the best player on this team, but by adding an overlap of slashers that can't shoot, Lowry is going to find his driving lanes smaller and smaller. Lowry has been playing with Alan Anderson and Terrence Ross, the only two shooters on this team (other than Lowry). Telling Lowry to play the spot up shooter so Gay and Demar can drive is counter-intuitive to his style and what he does best.

I hope this deal works out, but the styles clash unless we move Demar to the bench for Ross (or even Anderson). No shooters = no lanes. No lanes for the slashers = lots of long twos. Long twos = the worst shot in basketball.
      It was Jose specialities but Kyle Lowry can run it too. I find that they only ran the pick n roll when the play was falling apart. I feel like we're going to get a lot of easy buckets off are defence. With Lowry and Gay being in the top 20 in steal last couple of years. I really think that Gay's 3 point percentage will go up.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

You're right that Gay is a better shooter than Fields, but then again basically everyone is a better shooter than Fields right now. I'd put more faith in Popeye Jones to hit a shot than Fields at this point.

Lowry is a good shooter, but are you suggesting that we take our second best player, who is at heart a drive and kick ball handler and turn him into a spot up shooter? If that is the case, we would have been better off trading Lowry for a legit PF and let Jose be the spot-up shooter.

Demar can make mid-range jumpers amoung the best of them, but that is fundamentally and league wide recognized as the worst shot in basketball. So in effect, he is the best at playing the least efficiently.

At the end of the day, we have 3 players in the starting 5 that want the ball so they can drive to the net. If we start Amir and JV, then we have only Lowry that can hit a shot from 20 feet consistently. Amir and JV are going to have to get out of the way (to not clog up the lane) then crash hard to get any chance of an offensive rebound and knowing them, will likely result in a ton of loose ball fouls as they try to crash over defenders already in place on the drive.

I think the only way this offence works (with this current roster) is if Ross starts and Bargnani plays well to keep defences honest.
        Ross starts at SG then DD comes off bench?

Comment

Tross and AA can hit the 3.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
            Ross starts at SG then DD comes off bench?
            1) I don't think Ross is ready to be a full time starting SG in the NBA.
            2) Moving Derozan to the bench is just further proof that Colangelo has created a complete clusterfudge of this roster. Bargnani and Derozan were propped up as the cornerstones of this franchise 3 months ago, now they are coming off the bench and making over $20 million combined starting next season. That is a criminal use of cap space to have that much money tied up in your bench players.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Tross and AA can hit the 3.
              Agreed, but neither is starting, so it doesn't exactly help the lineup of Gay and Demar.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Just wouldn't be a normal day if CNNSI printed anything BUT this type of stuff about a Toronto franchise.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                  1) I don't think Ross is ready to be a full time starting SG in the NBA.
                  2) Moving Derozan to the bench is just further proof that Colangelo has created a complete clusterfudge of this roster. Bargnani and Derozan were propped up as the cornerstones of this franchise 3 months ago, now they are coming off the bench and making over $20 million combined starting next season. That is a criminal use of cap space to have that much money tied up in your bench players.
                  Long-term, Ross should be the starter. Short-term, they will play Demar, but his game is ideal for the 6th man role. Instant offence off the bench, while the more well-rounded game of Anderson or Ross fits better with Gay.

Comment

Bargnani and Derozan were propped up as the cornerstones of this franchise 3 months ago, now they are coming off the bench and making over $20 million combined starting next season. That is a criminal use of cap space to have that much money tied up in your bench players.
                    It's criminal use of cap space regardless of whether they're coming off the bench or not. Bad contracts no matter how you look at them.

Comment

Long-term, Ross should be the starter. Short-term, they will play Demar, but his game is ideal for the 6th man role. Instant offence off the bench, while the more well-rounded game of Anderson or Ross fits better with Gay.
                      No problem with Ross being the SG long term. My point is that he's not ready for that role today or the rest of the season. He has had some good games, but I feel like he's being overvalued so far this season because he produces highlights that tend to stand out in people's memory. When you take a closer look at his game log, he's really only averaging one above average game for every four or so.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        It's criminal use of cap space regardless of whether they're coming off the bench or not. Bad contracts no matter how you look at them.
                        I agree that both are overpaid, one drastically more than the other. But I disagree with the statement that it doesn't matter whether they're coming off the bench or not. DeRozan would have a much easier time earning his $9 million playing the 35 minutes that he does in his current role opposed to swapping roles with Ross.

Comment

No problem with Ross being the SG long term. My point is that he's not ready for that role today or the rest of the season. He has had some good games, but I feel like he's being overvalued so far this season because he produces highlights that tend to stand out in people's memory. When you take a closer look at his game log, he's really only averaging one above average game for every four or so.
                          He is extremely inconsistent! His terrible shot selection doesn't help either.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                          X