2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Well, for one, cap holds don't specifically have anything to do with free agents - they are placed on the "team salary." Team salary totals are what determines cap space for free agency and trades alike.

If what you said were true, you'd see loads of teams doing sign and trades every year to circumvent the cap and utilize their players' Bird Rights to full effect.
    Except consummating a trade in the NBA is extremely difficult at the best of times.

It is also why you see so many deals agreed to on draft night but not completed until July 10/11th.

Comment

Vince just said in an interview with ESPN Dallas that he likes to sign with Dallas or go to a contender at this time in his career.

Comment

Can find a younger guy that will do the same things, and hopefully defend better for the same price

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Valanciunas, Horford, Barnes, Ross and Lowry, with Patterson, Vasquez and #20 (and possibly VC) leading the bench brigade?

Very intriguing...
          I just drooled all over my screen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
            True. But I'm thinking more about the playoffs, and Terrence or DD can't guard biggers small forwards. It cost us the first round this season so there is no reason why it won't cost us in the playoffs next season. I do know we can get a good small forward in the draft but that player is going to take time to develop and will probably struggle hard in the playoffs like Terrence did. Everything we do at this point we should be thinking playoffs and how it will help us in the playoffs. But you are very correct that 2015 has the better prospects and we will have more cap space. I guess we can handle another first round exit if it means better things in the future.
            no idea why you think we should be planning like we're gonna play the same nets lineup in 2015 playoffs or something. how do you know the other team will have some crafty, beefy SF in their lineup? what if its some wirey, super athletic guy like kawhi leonard?

and why would someone we draft automatically struggle hard in the playoffs just because one single player on this team did? no logic or sense at all.

Comment

I say avoid Al Horford (and his faulty boob) like the Plague.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Prince is washed up. He wasn't that bad this year, but he could be John Salmons useless by next season. And I don't know, you'd have to specifically have a target that falls on draft day to make that worthwhile. I really don't care to have Prince on this team.
                Then don't get Prince and try to get 1st rounder for Salmons, if we can get any first for him it's a win.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Well, for one, cap holds don't specifically have anything to do with free agents - they are placed on the "team salary." Team salary totals are what determines cap space for free agency and trades alike.

If what you said were true, you'd see loads of teams doing sign and trades every year to circumvent the cap and utilize their players' Bird Rights to full effect.
                  thats the BROOKLYN way... .. capholds of teams own FA has nothing to do with trades and salary absorption

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    no idea why you think we should be planning like we're gonna play the same nets lineup in 2015 playoffs or something. how do you know the other team will have some crafty, beefy SF in their lineup? what if its some wirey, super athletic guy like kawhi leonard?

and why would someone we draft automatically struggle hard in the playoffs just because one single player on this team did? no logic or sense at all.
                    Well a lot of rookies/young inexperienced players struggle in the playoffs. I'm not just basing it off Terrence. Experience is big in the playoffs. Also Brooklyn isn't the only team that has beefer small forwards or shooting guards and it would just be nice to get a guy that can guard those guys a little more decent than DD or Ross can. It's probably not realistic for this offseason but I do believe we need to go after one.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

It doesn't look like Vince is going to come here anyway so I think we should all calm down. I agree that we should look to get a younger player who does the same things. I think people are forgetting Vince is 38. He can turn into John Salmons at anytime. Father time waits on no one and he comes at unexpected times.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        It doesn't look like Vince is going to come here anyway so I think we should all calm down. I agree that we should look to get a younger player who does the same things. I think people are forgetting Vince is 38. He can turn into John Salmons at anytime. Father time waits on no one and he comes at unexpected times.
                        Vince had an amazing playoffs, Salmons had one of the worst playoffs in history. Vince is an all time great, salmons is a never was. I don't think it's an apt comparison to make.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          Vince had an amazing playoffs, Salmons had one of the worst playoffs in history. Vince is an all time great, salmons is a never was. I don't think it's an apt comparison to make.
                          Well I was somewhat exaggerating but at 38 he can become shit at anytime. 38 is A LOT older than I thought he was. This could easily be his last good season. I would not be shocked at all if he came here next season and played no where as good as he played for Dallas. Age creeps up on you very unexpectedly. One day you just wake up and can't do what you used to. But hey if we do get Vince hopefully he has one more good season in him. But from the way he's talking it doesn't look like he'll be coming here.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                            thats the BROOKLYN way... .. capholds of teams own FA has nothing to do with trades and salary absorption
                            Brooklyn didn't use cap space. They had to match salaries in that trade, hence the inclusion of Keith Bogans.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Except consummating a trade in the NBA is extremely difficult at the best of times.

It is also why you see so many deals agreed to on draft night but not completed until July 10/11th.
                              Sure, it's difficult.

That was secondary anyway - commentary on the situation. Disregard it if you wish, but cap holds are very much included in team salary for trade purposes.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                No surprise. Still hope it doesn't happen, for both basketball and non-basketball reasons.
                                Hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X