Warriors and Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors and Raptors

Fact - They basically had the same record at the end of last season. Now, the Warriors are in the 2nd round of the playoffs. And it's looking like this series against the Spurs is going 7 games.

Raptors on the other hand once again is out of the playoffs.

Fact - It is much tougher to get into the playoffs in the West than in the Eest because there's so many great teams in the West.

Another thing, Warriors play their rookies a lot. Mark Jackson is not afraid to use Ezeli or Barnes or Green or even Bazemore in crunch time. In fact, Green and Barnes plays clutch mins for the Warriors every night. Goes back to what Casey said about Jonas a couple of months ago that if the Raps were fighting for a playoff spot, Jonas would likely not get much playing time
    Mamba Mentality

I mentioned this earlier in the year when we played them, but the Warriors also have an absolutely fantastic cap situation. After next season, they've potentially got Lee, Curry, Barnes, Thompson, Ezeli, and Green signed for about $35 million. They could add a couple $15 million+ star free agents to the mix and still have room under the tax. I don't think there's a team in the league with a brighter future.

Comment

Not to mention the great weather they enjoy where as we're usually freezing our ass of in Toronto, and the beautiful waterfronts they have and their taxes are also lower. And the women...fogetaboutit!!!

But in all seriousness their franchise was as much a joke as ours is now, but once the new ownership took hold of things they did a great job of righting the ship. Lets hope once Bell/Rogers have a chance to fully invest themselves they can do the same. They're already bringing in what I guess would be considered the cream of the crop in Tim Leiweke to oversee things. Starts from the top down.

Comment

Curry only played in half his games last year, which explains their poor record. But GSW has a very exciting team and if Curry's ankles don't give out on him they will always be a threat.

Talent means a lot, and they lucked out by drafting Curry and then winning the coin flip last year. If they lost that coin flip to the Raptors, then I believe their pick would have gone to Utah as it was top 7 protected which means no Barnes and their future would have looked a little bleaker.

Bogut was (and still is) a gamble, but he's an expiring now next year.

In 2014 they will have a lot of cap space and some of the best free agents could be available. GSW fans have a lot to be happy about.. too bad us Raptors fans have to continue to suffer.

Comment

Fact - The only reason Golden State had such a poor record last season was because of Curry's health situation.
          With a healthy Curry AND Bogut, its no surprise they are they team they are.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Fact - The only reason Golden State had such a poor record last season was because of Curry's health situation.
            With a healthy Curry AND Bogut, its no surprise they are they team they are.
            seriously this

fact-Barnes and Drewmore are only playing more because of injuries its just a plus that they are playing well despite being rookies.

fact-Having a lights out shooter like Steph will do that.

fact-Warriors dont have Bargnani...........

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Curry only played in half his games last year, which explains their poor record. But GSW has a very exciting team and if Curry's ankles don't give out on him they will always be a threat.

Talent means a lot, and they lucked out by drafting Curry and then winning the coin flip last year. If they lost that coin flip to the Raptors, then I believe their pick would have gone to Utah as it was top 7 protected which means no Barnes and their future would have looked a little bleaker.

Bogut was (and still is) a gamble, but he's an expiring now next year.

In 2014 they will have a lot of cap space and some of the best free agents could be available. GSW fans have a lot to be happy about.. too bad us Raptors fans have to continue to suffer.
              The coinflip was only half luck; they got into that position by performing one of the most astonishing tank jobs in the history of the universe.

Bogut might be a gamble, but between Ellis and Bogut, that's an easy gamble. Even though Bogut isn't the player he once was, he's getting awfully close on defense which is an elite big man defender on par with Gasol, Chandler en Howard. If he leaves or is injured again they will take a step back.

Comment

A big part of their jump is that the Warriors were intentionally trying to lose their games for the last quarter of 2012. That's not hyperbole either; I remember hearing a podcast with Lee & Curry where they said that the Warriors basically held them out of games down the stretch to ensure that they wouldn't finish out of the bottom 8 and have to give up their pick.

On top of that, Curry had his healthiest season to date and took a huge leap in his game. Bogut was still banged up a lot but at least he was a contributor at times... You couldn't say that last year. They added Jack who had a great season for them. Green, Ezeli and Barnes all played a role as rookies. I'd be thrilled as a Warriors fan going forward given their cap situation. As a Raptors fan I'm depressed.

Comment

Honestly, I'm okay with Ross over Barnes (although not the topic of the thread). At this point, TRoss has shown glimpses of a crazy high ceiling - where he may surpass Harrison who had a better rookie year.
                  The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    Honestly, I'm okay with Ross over Barnes (although not the topic of the thread). At this point, TRoss has shown glimpses of a crazy high ceiling - where he may surpass Harrison who had a better rookie year.
                    i guess. not that you can do much about it now...but had barnes been available, he'd have been the pick (or at least, i assume that's the case. BC isn't that far gone, is he?). i like ross too, but there's just so much duplication between him & DD, i'm not sure what the point was then in taking ross...and i have no idea what to make of it now that gay is in the mix.

wtf is going on? i assume the intention wasn't to create a laughably overpaid team loaded with inefficient volume chuckers, but here we are...
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth. You fight the gag reflex and swallow, only to see the salaries of Gay, Bargnani and Fields and then the urge hits a new level and your lunch and breakfast is all over the monitor.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                        All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth.
                        If Demar continues on his path of growth, and continues to be the Iron Man that he has been, hardly missing any games; then I see his contract being worth every penny. For Curry, he's got to get through a full season first, in my opinion. The guys ankles are worse than Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.

Comment

All it takes is looking at the payroll. Steph Curry at $12m for the next 5 years looks close to a steal or at least worth every penny. Meanwhile you see similar numbers next to DeRozan and a little bit of your lunch comes back up into your mouth. You fight the gag reflex and swallow, only to see the salaries of Gay, Bargnani and Fields and then the urge hits a new level and your lunch and breakfast is all over the monitor.
                          According to HoopsHype Curry is due to make $9.9, $10.6, $11.3, and $12.1 mil over the next four seasons. Yep, thats value! Curry's contract, of course, is more reflective of his actual play from previous seasons than what he might do in years to come. Oh, if BC had signed him he would certainly be making $15mil+ next season, but it would still look incredible next to Brags and Gay. Wow, hard to believe that Bargs will make more than Curry in the next two seasons. I'm not yet ready to bash DeRozan's contract, I'll wait to see how he performs next season, I still think he can live up to it. Nonetheless, it reflects BC's perceived potential of DeRozan, not his actual play from previous seasons, which appears to be in contrast to Curry's extension.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            If Demar continues on his path of growth, and continues to be the Iron Man that he has been, hardly missing any games; then I see his contract being worth every penny. For Curry, he's got to get through a full season first, in my opinion. The guys ankles are worse than Mr. Glass from Unbreakable.
                            Iron Man is only useful when the player is actually good. I don't care if DeRozan plays 100% of all available games, he's just not very good.

Curry hasn't start his extension yet and his team is into the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs. I'd like to hear your prediction as to when DeRozan leads us there. Fact is he never will because he's not the best player on this team (or if he is, we'll never make the playoffs).
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

I'm sure both Steph Curry and his agent are kicking themselves in the ass over that. His play in the playoffs has made him a max contract player imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X