Is this the best Raptors team ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the best Raptors team ever?

I've only been a fan of the Raptors for a few years. As I live in Vancouver I was a fan of the equally bad Grizzlies. When they left I wasn't really a fan of any team.

But I wanted to be a fan, so I turned to the Raptors a few years ago. I don't know too much about Raptors history.

For those of you who have been watching for a long time I have a question:

Where does this team rank among every Raptors team (1995-now)?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

I don't think this team is as good as their record or place in the standings reflect.

I would rank this team about on par with the Bosh-lead playoff teams, a notch below the VC-lead playoff teams.

Although the makeup of all 3 teams was quite different (VC = superstar, Bosh = inside-out, DeRozan = jump shots), I do see several commonalities as well:
    - balanced starting lineup with good ball movement
    - good team defense
    - 2nd unit can be an advantage when healthy

I just think the VC-lead teams were the best because of his individual skill, the veteran leadership, interior presence and deep bench.

In a best-of-7 series, I think I might even give the Bosh-lead teams the 2nd spot, because of Bosh's interior play (aggressive Bosh from 2007 would eat Valanciunas & Amir for breakfast, especially surrounded by several good 3pt threats, given the current Raps' weak 3pt defense).

Comment

Without going back and looking at each years roster, I would guess fourth or fifth.

Comment

Would have to win two playoff series to overtake that 2000 team that beat the Knicks then played a very close 2nd round vs Iverson and the Sixers.
        3rd? Maybe 2nd with a respectable first round showing.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I don't think this team is as good as their record or place in the standings reflect.

I would rank this team about on par with the Bosh-lead playoff teams, a notch below the VC-lead playoff teams.

Although the makeup of all 3 teams was quite different (VC = superstar, Bosh = inside-out, DeRozan = jump shots), I do see several commonalities as well:
          - balanced starting lineup with good ball movement
          - good team defense
          - 2nd unit can be an advantage when healthy

I just think the VC-lead teams were the best because of his individual skill, the veteran leadership, interior presence and deep bench.

In a best-of-7 series, I think I might even give the Bosh-lead teams the 2nd spot, because of Bosh's interior play (aggressive Bosh from 2007 would eat Valanciunas & Amir for breakfast, especially surrounded by several good 3pt threats, given the current Raps' weak 3pt defense).
          I agree with this. But I also like the way the franchise looks moving forward more than 2007.

2000-2001 looked like a bright future until vinsanity became wince.

Our team is young. We have an elite front office and elite support staff. Our coach, despite all the flack he gets is definitely above average. We've got financial flexibility.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I think this question would better be answered after the playoffs.

My sense of recall though makes this the most pleasing/entertaining/team oriented group so far.

Comment

I tend to think that this is the best team we have ever had, or at least, that's what I want to think lol. The VC led team that made it to the second round is probably better than this year's version, but not by much IMO. I think the vet presence on that team would give it the advantage overall. VC's capability is unmatched on this current roster, but I think the current Raps have more talent over more positions which would help offset VC's dominance. I want to lean towards this team, but I think they will need a playoff and another season together before I could say they were better, depending on performance over that time of course.

I don't think any team Bosh played on is better than this one.

Comment

The 2000-2001 team was the best Raptors squad. This team is probably closer to the '99-'00 team, which lost in the first round. I would go:

1. '00-01
                2. '99-00
                3. '13-'14
                4. '06-'07

I don't think we've had another team that deserves to be in that group.

Comment

I'd put this team above Bosh led teams but just below VC teams.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                    I've only been a fan of the Raptors for a few years. As I live in Vancouver I was a fan of the equally bad Grizzlies. When they left I wasn't really a fan of any team.

But I wanted to be a fan, so I turned to the Raptors a few years ago. I don't know too much about Raptors history.

For those of you who have been watching for a long time I have a question:

Where does this team rank among every Raptors team (1995-now)?
                    Even though the Raps have been fairly miserable, I still kinda resent the idea that we are as bad as the Grizzlies were in Vancouver.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      The 2000-2001 team was the best Raptors squad. This team is probably closer to the '99-'00 team, which lost in the first round. I would go:

1. '00-01
                      2. '99-00
                      3. '13-'14
                      4. '06-'07

That seems about right. I like some of the individual players during the Bosh era, but this seems like a more cohesive group, overall. Of course, it's only been four months.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        That seems about right. I like some of the individual players during the Bosh era, but this seems like a more cohesive group, overall. Of course, it's only been four months.
                        The Bosh era was essentially Bosh, Caldeford and a bunch of euroveterans.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

1. '00-01
                          2. '99-00
                          3. '13-'14
                          4. '06-'07

thats how i'd rank them too.

Comment

cant really answer that until the playoff run but it could very well be

what is our best year ... 47 wins, out in the 2nd round, that's very conceivable for this team to do or surpass

I have mentioned this before ... the sad thing is, this was a year we would of easily tanked it as well and many including myself were hoping for that and here we are possibly the best raptors team ever ... a sad indictment of this franchise's existence so far

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                              The Bosh era was essentially Bosh, Caldeford and a bunch of euroveterans.
                              The 06-07 team had a well balanced starting lineup and a 2nd unit that always got them a lead. I liked how they even put out a crunch-time lineup that featured a mix of both units. They weren't flashy, they weren't well known, but they all knew their roles, played hard on both ends of the court and played as a team.

Starters - Rasho, Bosh, Garbo, Parker, Ford

2nd Unit - Bargnani, 2 of Humphries/Graham/Dixon (depending on matchups), Mo-Pete, Calderon

Crunch Time - Bargnani, Bosh, Mo-Pete, Parker, Ford (Calderon overtook Ford by the end of the season)

I think the 06-07 team VS the 13-14 team would be a fun matchup to watch, in a battle for the 2nd best 'era' of Raptors basketball. I still think there would be two difference-makers for the 06-07 team:

1. The inside-out style of play, where the offense was run through Bosh, surrounded by good 3pt shooters. If Bosh played his aggressive take-it-to-the-rim game, none of Valanciunas, Johnson, Patterson or Hansborough would be able to stop him one-on-one.

2. The defense of Ford, Parker and Mo-Pete would be able to neutralize the threat of Lowry, DeRozan and Ross, forcing them to rely on outside shooting to win (I think 06-07 Parker would give DeRozan fits and shut him down completely).

Comment

Working...
                              X