Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solomon Alabi (Update: Traded to Toronto - Pg. 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Alabi (Update: Traded to Toronto - Pg. 2)

It is doubtful the Raptors know more about any other prospect than Solomon Alabi.

Alabi, the tallest player eligible for the 2010 NBA Draft, worked out Tuesday for the team’s braintrust, which includes a very familiar face.

Raptors assistant GM of player personnel Masai Ujiri discovered the fellow Nigerian six years ago at the basketball camp he runs in his native country and has kept close tabs as his 6-foot-9 camper grew into a 7-foot-1 centre and legitimate first-round prospect.

“He grew up in the same part as I did in Nigeria and that’s where I was doing my camp (originally),” Ujiri said after watching Alabi, Marshall centre Hassan Whiteside, South Florida guard Dominique Jones and Cincinnati guard Lance Stephenson work out.

“He came and was very intriguing. We got him into Basketball Without Borders, one of the many we’ve tried to develop there.”

But few of Ujiri’s prospects have come as far as Alabi, who anchored one of the NCAA’s top defences at Florida State, becoming just the ninth player in ACC history to lead that tough conference in blocked shots two years in a row.

Ujiri, who joined the Raptors in 2007, said 80-90 Nigerians have received NCAA basketball scholarships in recent years, and predicted Alabi would be “one of the first” to crack the NBA’s first round.

“He’s a great example for the kids back home, I’m very, very proud,” said Ujiri, who added he hopes to have Alabi as an instructor at his camp in Nigeria this summer.

“People look up to me now (and are) playing basketball now because of me, I want to give back,” Alabi said.

Alabi needs to put on weight and won’t make a huge impact right away, but has a nice offensive touch to go along with his defensive abilities.

Ujiri said he thinks both Alabi and Whiteside will get better with time, but can have an impact next year.
    Source: Toronto Sun

“He meant a lot in my life,” Alabi said of Ujiri. “When I started playing basketball in a small town (Kaduna) where not too many people knew about basketball and only a few people played basketball, Masai did a camp in my town and . . . that’s when I started getting exposed to basketball.”
    When I started playing, I never played on a basketball court,” said Alabi, who is projected to go late in the draft’s first round. “I played on dirt on the ground, they don’t even have concrete on the floor. I went to the camp and they had concrete on the floor . . .

“Basketball Without Borders really helped me. That’s where I first got exposed to well-organized basketball and that really encouraged me to play basketball more.”
    “We’re slowing getting there and with the programs like Basketball Without Borders and the big-man camp and all the programs growing in Africa . . . we’re very, very proud of these kids,” said Ujiri.
    “He’s a great example for the kids back home,” said the Raptors executive. “With a country like Nigeria and a continent like Africa, with the population, there are so many kids, we just need the facilities and you guys (the media) to promote the game a little bit and we can build some more courts over there and grow the game.”
    “I feel like if I get the opportunity to play in the NBA, I want to give back to my people in Nigeria because the town I came out from, there are people who look up to me now. I’m the one guy who came out of my town to play basketball,” he said.

“I want to go back and show them that I’ve grown into a man through basketball.”
    Source: The Star

We all know Colangelo's ego isn't as big as his collars. He respects his support team and always seeks out their opinions and views on players. He's made moves in the past, crediting others around him with the decision. Now we hear rumors that the Raptors want to grab a pick in the 20's and Solomon Alabi just happens to be slated in that area of the draft. Thoughts?

Discount

Sounds allot like Thabeet, without the decorated resume. If he's around take him for sure.

Comment

I certainly hope that if such transpires then it turns out better than BC listening to Gherardini who claimed similar knowledge on Bargs. Four yrs. hence I certainly thought he would have had a larger impact considering the "inside info". Well we'll give it another year!

Comment

Solid facts rather than potential please

Could we please draft somebody that has proven their worth! Seems like we are always get dazzled by young talent that eventually become lemons. Draft somebody that has strong credentials, even if they do not become stars. If we can get a guy that is reliable every night, that won't rookie mistakes too often, I would be thrilled.
        What do you guys think? Alabi seems like the next Rafael araujo or Patrick O`Bryant!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I certainly hope that if such transpires then it turns out better than BC listening to Gherardini who claimed similar knowledge on Bargs. Four yrs. hence I certainly thought he would have had a larger impact considering the "inside info". Well we'll give it another year!
          Bargnani turned out fine. Aldridge would not have fit well with Bosh and he's not that much ahead of Bargnani anyway. Roy would have been the best pick but no one was talking about him at #1. Everyone was talking about Aldridge and Bargnani at #1 the week leading up to the draft. Colangelo tried to trade down but could find a suitable trade. Gheradini didn't steer him wrong, Andrea is a good player. A good choice in a draft that seen MANY 1st round busts, in particular the top ten. Colangelo should continue to listen to his people, otherwise why have anyone there to help him?

Season wrote: View Post
          Could we please draft somebody that has proven their worth! Seems like we are always get dazzled by young talent that eventually become lemons. Draft somebody that has strong credentials, even if they do not become stars. If we can get a guy that is reliable every night, that won't rookie mistakes too often, I would be thrilled.
          What do you guys think? Alabi seems like the next Rafael araujo or Patrick O`Bryant!
          Dude, the draft is a collection of players who haven't proved anything yet... This guy has strong credentials when compared to people slotted in the 20's. Bledsoe would be a great choice too. These are all just kids... And he's nothing like Hoffa or POB. He plays a totally different game. Not to mention we're talking late draft, not top 10.
          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jun 17, 2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Dude, the draft is a collection of players who haven't proved anything yet... This guy has strong credentials when compared to people slotted in the 20's. Bledsoe would be a great choice too. These are all just kids... And he's nothing like Hoffa or POB. He plays a totally different game. Not to mention we're talking late draft, not top 10.
            How is his game compare to Thabeet ?

Thabeet was a bust last year and I think we was picked very high.

With these bigs, you have to do what Lakers did with Bynum. Give them few years to develop and surround them with great big man coach.

Comment

@Apollo
              I agree with the choice that year at #1 and did at the time. I was at least half tongueincheek about the "inside info" comment where because of the special circumstances (the individuals who actually discovered/groomed the players mentioned work for the Raptors) the results might be expected to be more of a slam dunk. In Bargs case issues like not transitioning his game (as of yet anyway) to include the more robust aspects of the nba game for a player at his position is what has been most disappointing to me. I remember Gherardini in an interview saying that this would be not a problem for Bargnani because above all he wanted to win and was very strong mentally yada yada. I paraphrase but that was definitely the vibe of his remarks. In some ways I wish that Bosh not come back and that would be the true firestorm in which Bargs would have to demonstrate the veracity of Gerardini's remarks. I wouldnt mind Alabi at 13 either...he seems like a hungry guy...we need players like him.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

With these bigs, you have to do what Lakers did with Bynum. Give them few years to develop and surround them with great big man coach.
                If Thabeet had been picked 20th instead of 2nd, he wouldn't have been considered a bust.

And both are skinny and long defensive centers that block shots and rebound, but are raw offensively.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

Well, taking a big chance at the back of the draft is a lot more cost effective than at #2 overall.

Comment

Alabi sounds like a hustle player with a good personality. Someone who's easy to get along with. Sometimes that counts more than talent. He comes from humble beginings and has more to prove and more to play for than the average guy. Sounds alot like a former Houston Rockets hall of fame center.
                    He'll take what ever minutes he can get without bitching. For a early 20's pick I think it's worth the risk.

Comment

Raptors Got Solomon Alabi From Dallas

For a future pick and cash
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Here's the source people.

11:48 PM: TRADE: The Mavericks have traded Solomon Alabi to the Raptors.
                        Source: Real GM

Excellent pick in my mind. By the way, he was the 50th overall pick. I want to see them deal for 43rd overall Ebanks as well.

Comment

I guess CB4 is really going..... two bigmen we drafted...

Comment

Both of these guy are defenders and rebounders.

Neither Davis or Alabi has any offense whatsoever.

It you guys think Johnson is a garbage man on offense, these guys are garbage men in training.
                            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

end of the bench player.

Comment

Working...
                              X