No announcement yet.

Do we run too many screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem could happen if it is all we run, then it becomes predictable (like what happened with Calderon)

Comment

Too many...no you must mean too few. No such thing as too many screens.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        The problem could happen if it is all we run, then it becomes predictable (like what happened with Calderon)
        How is it predictable?

The PNR is the hardest thing for a defence to guard against because there are a plethora of options from it (drive, pass to roll, reverse dribble drive, step back, pick n pop, pick n post on switch, etc). Add in a second screen or other movement designed to get a defensive rotation and possible mismatch and the defence may know how a play initiates (pick at the high post) but doesn't know where it is going to end up. Since the options are all available, if the D takes one away, it usually leaves another option open.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          How is it predictable?

The PNR is the hardest thing for a defence to guard against because there are a plethora of options from it (drive, pass to roll, reverse dribble drive, step back, pick n pop, pick n post on switch, etc). Add in a second screen or other movement designed to get a defensive rotation and possible mismatch and the defence may know how a play initiates (pick at the high post) but doesn't know where it is going to end up. Since the options are all available, if the D takes one away, it usually leaves another option open.
          I mean if we always try to get the same guy in the same spot over and over, teams will read into it.

Comment

I mean if we always try to get the same guy in the same spot over and over, teams will read into it.
            So your fear is that teams will suddenly try to deny Demar/Lowry from getting the ball at the top of the key? How would they do that?

Overplay the pass (to deny them from getting the ball) and you are susceptible to a simple backdoor cut, which would put the D in a worse position.

Pressure them once they receive the ball and they can simply drive by their defender, which would put the D in a worse position.

Deny the screener from getting position is holding and a foul.

Just don't see any possible way that this could be a problem for the team. There is a reason teams don't put too much pressure on ball handlers at the top of the key unless it is a guy with poor handles or it is an elite defender.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

So your fear is that teams will suddenly try to deny Demar/Lowry from getting the ball at the top of the key? How would they do that?

Overplay the pass (to deny them from getting the ball) and you are susceptible to a simple backdoor cut, which would put the D in a worse position.

Pressure them once they receive the ball and they can simply drive by their defender, which would put the D in a worse position.

Deny the screener from getting position is holding and a foul.

Just don't see any possible way that this could be a problem for the team. There is a reason teams don't put too much pressure on ball handlers at the top of the key unless it is a guy with poor handles or it is an elite defender.
              I just remember that while we had Calderon, his PnRs were very very very predictable, and teams could defend them easily.

Comment

I just remember that while we had Calderon, his PnRs were very very very predictable, and teams could defend them easily.
                Yet he still racked up double-digit assists most night.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Yet he still racked up double-digit assists most night.
                  somebody's gotta put up numbers on a bad team.

Comment

somebody's gotta put up numbers on a bad team.
                    What I meant was that despite Calderon's "predictable" PNRs, defenses weren't able to stop him from running the offense.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      What I meant was that despite Calderon's "predictable" PNRs, defenses weren't able to stop him from running the offense.
                      Also his gaudy assist to turn-over ratio and consistently good FG% and 3P%.

Comment

Also his gaudy assist to turn-over ratio and consistently good FG% and 3P%.
                        and terrible, terrible defense.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          and terrible, terrible defense.
                          Not relevant to the point though. We're discussing PNR offence, and Jose was great at it. Which shows that no matter how predictable the set-up is, it's very difficult to defend.

For the record, I was very much in the trade Jose camp.

Comment

Not relevant to the point though. We're discussing PNR offence, and Jose was great at it. Which shows that no matter how predictable the set-up is, it's very difficult to defend.

For the record, I was very much in the trade Jose camp.
                            Yeah, yeah, I know. Just throwing some sucker punches here and there.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I don't think anyone ever doubted Jose' ability to run the PnR

More so his senseless dribbling of the ball till there was 3 seconds on the clock and someone having to force up a crappy rushed shot

Comment

Yeah, too many screens. I miss the "stand around and watch" offense. Bring back gay and andrea.

Next.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X