Clear All

• Raptor-Magic Trade!

Toronto gives:
    Jose Calderon and Demar Derozan

Toronto receives:
    Arron Afflalo
    Part of D. Howard Trade Exception

Why Toronto does it:
    Gets the elite wing player. Dude totally falls into Casey's system. Straight up scary defensive backcourt. Also another trade exception to not use.

Why Orlando does it:

Everyone is saying they're in tank mode now. Gives them a backup PG for the year (right now it's Ish Smith) and they still get a quality SG replacement. They'll get a whole bunch of cap room at the end of the year and they can decide whether they want to keep Demar or not.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9oe6dh2

Thoughts?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

raps magic

I think the ESPN assessment is telling - minus 9 for raps. I like AA, but to me this is an example of raps fans tending to undervalue their assets and seeing the grass a bit too green on opposing rosters. I think we could do better.

Comment

gm73 wrote: View Post
      I think the ESPN assessment is telling - minus 9 for raps. I like AA, but to me this is an example of raps fans tending to undervalue their assets and seeing the grass a bit too green on opposing rosters. I think we could do better.
      Yeah that -9 surprised me too. I don't think those calculations factor in JLIII being in the picture now. In my brain Jose is gone and might as well get something for him. Afflalo is better than Demar IMO. Can shoot the 3 and plays way better D. And Demar is prob looking to get a similar contract next year which is crazy but he might just get it.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
        ...In my brain Jose is gone and might as well get something for him....
        What you get by holding onto him is $10 million coming off the payroll next spring. And then an opportunity to resign for less or go in another direction. If the Raps make it to or near to the first round this year, they will likely have an easier time of it signing a free agent. But they won't be constrained by having to take some other teams leavings. They simply have to pay above market rate.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          What you get by holding onto him is $10 million coming off the payroll next spring. And then an opportunity to resign for less or go in another direction. If the Raps make it to or near to the first round this year, they will likely have an easier time of it signing a free agent. But they won't be constrained by having to take some other teams leavings. They simply have to pay above market rate.
          Of course the Raps could use the cap room themselves. IMO Afflalo is one of the best SG's in the league with a pretty reasonable contract that fits perfectly in Casey's system. Just makes sense to me without breaking the bank.

That's all.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I wouldn't call Afflalo elite. He is a solid SG. He also just turned 27. I think what you see is what you get.

I think he is the upper-middle ground and most likely comparison for Ross' career. Just my opinion.

Comment

I would like to see something like this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9dagu7w

Comment

The team this year has been built to compete and hopefully make the play-offs. With due respect, this Trade ensures that we don't(compete or make play-offs). If we despite the acquisitions perform horribly, then I wouldn't mind seeing Jose traded for the exception. Demar IMO is a better player than Affolo and can be signed for about the same money that Affolo makes.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I dunno I think Demar is expecting a bigger payday than that.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't call Afflalo elite. He is a solid SG. He also just turned 27. I think what you see is what you get.

I think he is the upper-middle ground and most likely comparison for Ross' career. Just my opinion.
                    There's not a ton of good shooting guards in the league right now. Also, when his contract is up Ross would be a free agent. Out with the old in with the new.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Add one of JJ Reddick or Andrew Nicholsson, then this trade might just work. No way we are giving DeRozan + Calderon expiring for A.Affalo.

Comment

Working...
                      X