No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good catch. It was supposed to be I'm NOT disputing that Walker won't be a solid pro. I think he'll be a solid player...however, if he has good workouts in May/June and kills the competition, I might change my tune, but at this point, I'm not on the Kemba Walker bandwagon.

Comment

• In regards to kemba keep in mind college is a guards league and the NBA is a big mans league so kemba's skills may not be the same when he comes to the NBA . For one he will be a liability on defense because he can and will be posted especially on the raptors with no dominate paint presense. Do we really want another point guard that dribbles the air out of the ball? We have Jose already. If the comparison is Ben gordon than you guys need to take into consideration that he has come off the bench in the NBA and we already have barbosa.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
        Good catch. It was supposed to be I'm NOT disputing that Walker won't be a solid pro. I think he'll be a solid player...however, if he has good workouts in May/June and kills the competition, I might change my tune, but at this point, I'm not on the Kemba Walker bandwagon.
        It's not a band wagon. The guy has been exciting since day one and has steadily improved from a freshman to now. He didn't come out of nowhere. He was good enough last year to get drafted. He and Calderon would complement each other excellently. Calderon had his best seasons coming off the bench spelling a highly aggressive PG as a change of pace.

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        In regards to kemba keep in mind college is a guards league and the NBA is a big mans league so kemba's skills may not be the same when he comes to the NBA . For one he will be a liability on defense because he can and will be posted especially on the raptors with no dominate paint presense. Do we really want another point guard that dribbles the air out of the ball? We have Jose already. If the comparison is Ben gordon than you guys need to take into consideration that he has come off the bench in the NBA and we already have barbosa.
        How many PG's can you name me who are posting guys up in the paint? I can't think of any off hand. Magic Johnson retired almost 20 years ago.

Rondo is around the same size and I don't see anybody criticizing him for being too small to stand guys up in the paint.

Also Walker is aggressive. He dribbles the ball to the basket, not while stopping to smell the flowers.

The consensus comparison is not Ben Gordon. There is no consensus comparison.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
          In regards to kemba keep in mind college is a guards league and the NBA is a big mans league so kemba's skills may not be the same when he comes to the NBA . For one he will be a liability on defense because he can and will be posted especially on the raptors with no dominate paint presense. Do we really want another point guard that dribbles the air out of the ball? We have Jose already. If the comparison is Ben gordon than you guys need to take into consideration that he has come off the bench in the NBA and we already have barbosa.
          The NBA has become a guards League in the last few years. Rule changes have seen to that.

He will NOT be a liability on defense. He is strong, tough nosed player, who doesn't shy away from contact.

The comparison is NOT Ben Gordon. Mango made that one and more than a few of us disagree with it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            It's not a band wagon. The guy has been exciting since day one and has steadily improved from a freshman to now. He didn't come out of nowhere. He was good enough last year to get drafted. He and Calderon would complement each other excellently. Calderon had his best seasons coming off the bench spelling a highly aggressive PG as a change of pace.
            You didn't see his name being bandied about a lot earlier in the season. His name was tossed out there, but as of the past few days, there certainly has been an enamourment with the guy. I'd call that being on the bandwagon. I'll wait until after the workouts before I hop aboard. However, don't you feel as though Bayless brings the same things to the table as Walker? Bayless needs to tighten up his shot a bit, but I think he does the same things.

Comment

• Actually, MangoKid, you had it right in the first place. By changing it you now have it saying the opposite of what you actually mean, which is that, in fact, you do think that he will become a solid pro.

It's also important to note as well that next year there will be some serious SF's to be had. This will be especially true if Barnes doesn't declare this year. Williams already has said he won't. That's two from this year's draft alone that will certainly be better next year. Add those to Michael Gilchrist, and that's 3 potential all-star candidate SF's in one draft.

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                Actually, MangoKid, you had it right in the first place. By changing it you now have it saying the opposite of what you actually mean, which is that, in fact, you do think that he will become a solid pro.

It's also important to note as well that next year there will be some serious SF's to be had. This will be especially true if Barnes doesn't declare this year. Williams already has said he won't. That's two from this year's draft alone that will certainly be better next year. Add those to Michael Gilchrist, and that's 3 potential all-star candidate SF's in one draft.
                One little word omission can cost you a lot. I guess that's what happens when you try to work and post at the same time.
                I DO think that Walker will be a solid pro - i think I've said it in every post. If that's lost on you, I don't know what to tell you brother.

Comment

• Urg. I know that you think that. That's what I've been trying to say. I've been coming to your defense here...

Comment

• And just to clarify...it wasn't the word omission that was the problem. There was no problem. It was the word addition in the later post that caused the brew-ha-ha.

Comment

You didn't see his name being bandied about a lot earlier in the season. His name was tossed out there, but as of the past few days, there certainly has been an enamourment with the guy. I'd call that being on the bandwagon. I'll wait until after the workouts before I hop aboard. However, don't you feel as though Bayless brings the same things to the table as Walker? Bayless needs to tighten up his shot a bit, but I think he does the same things.
                      He's been talked about ever since the summer Mango. I'll start out by pointing out he dropped 21 points for the USA Select Team in the gold medal game during the summer and follow that up with this early press during the season:

Slam Online, Nov. 18, 2010:
                      Walker, a projected-first round pick, is a rare anonymous star at UConn due to the team’s lack of success last season. The Bronx native will get his chance this season to show what he can do with an inexperienced supporting cast, and sometimes that means putting up 42 points.
                      Hartford Courant, Nov 18, 2010:
                      So Walker shot, again and again, and found all kinds of ways to dazzle the crowd and pull his team along. He scored a career-high 42 points in an 89-73 victory over Vermont before 10,216 at the XL Center.
                      One of the more impressive performances in program history was enough for the Huskies (2-0) to keep pace with the stubborn Catamounts (1-1) and then pull away. Walker tied Cliff Robinson and Donyell Marshall for the most points scored in a game under Jim Calhoun and also matched Robinson's XL Center record.
                      ESPN, Nov 24, 2010:
                      Walker has been the better point guard in every game so far, including besting Michigan State's Kalin Lucas. Up next will be Kentucky freshman Brandon Knight.
                      UConn was picked 10th in the Big East. And that wasn't unreasonable.

Walker, for one, had no issue with the preseason prediction for his team.

"I loved it," he said. "It gave me motivation. I agreed with it. Honestly, I don't blame anyone for picking us 10th. We've got a lot of freshmen and a lot of sophomores and I'm the only junior and we've got two seniors. It made us work harder."

Walker was the only sure thing on the roster, but no one had him being this much of a dominant player with the ball. Calhoun has had plenty of stars, but not one that had to single-handedly take over game after game for the Huskies to win. Usually, Connecticut has had at least two stars to help offset some of the responsibilities. So far it seems like it's all on Walker -- and he seems plenty sturdy to shoulder the burden.

NY Times, December 3, 2010:
                      Kemba Walker had 24 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists for his first career triple-double, leading No. 7 Connecticut to a 94-61 victory over Maryland-Baltimore County in Hartford on Friday night.
                      “I love having games like this,” he said. “Because my teammates also benefit from it. Those guys’ confidence, it’s hot now.”
                      Hartford Courant, December 7, 2010
                      You've heard of all the incredible things Kemba Walker has done in regards to basketball, from his time with the 18-U national team a couple of years ago, to the time he spent training with NBA players as part of a USA Select team, to his national-leading scoring average early this season of 29.1 points a game.

All along, he's been more than keeping up in the classroom. Walker, a junior sociology major, is on course to graduate from UConn in May, a year early.

"It's possible," Walker said Tuesday. "I'm trying. It's a lot of work. Most likely, I will."
                      "He's not one to brag about an awful lot of things he does, but clearly when he makes his mind up and he has a goal to set, whether it be difficult one or less difficult, he's going to chase it pretty good," coach Jim Calhoun said
                      News Day, December 30, 2010:
                      Kemba Walker has gone from overrated to a potential lottery pick. And it was done practically overnight.

After a decent sophomore season (14.6 ppg, 40% fg), Walker, who leads the nation in scoring (26.9 ppg, 49% fg), has blistered opponents this season in leading Connecticut to a 10-1 start and a No.4 ranking.

"I thought he was an NBA player before this year," said one Eastern...

He was not an early favorite going into the season to go high but that's irrelevant because the draft takes place after the season...

Comment

He's been talked about ever since the summer Mango. I'll start out by pointing out he dropped 21 points for the USA Select Team in the gold medal game during the summer and follow that up with this early press during the season:

He was not an early favorite going into the season to go high but that's irrelevant because the draft takes place after the season...
                        Sorry, I should have been more specific. When I said that his name's only been bandied about now and that there seems to be a lot of people in his corner, I meant on here. As in this site, in this thread.
                        Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Slam Online, Nov. 18, 2010:
                          Hartford Courant, Nov 18, 2010:
                          ESPN, Nov 24, 2010:
                          NY Times, December 3, 2010:
                          Hartford Courant, December 7, 2010
                          News Day, December 30, 2010:

Great post.

I've been following him ever since the USA select selection and MVP selections at the U18. And anyone who thinks he's only blown up in his last two tournament games, clearly has only seen his last two tournament games. Look up the Big East title and what he did for his team.

Comment

• I'm definitely on some kind of bandwagon.

Comment

Personally seeing him play more has helped opinion. The thing that has me thinking more and more about him though is the players who are not coming out. This is was originally a weak draft and it is becoming weaker by the day as guys decide to stay in college or rumoured to be considering staying. Also with the Raptors looking to be a 5 or 6 pick versus top 3, perspectives change.

If Walker was drafted and Barbosa is back, Bayless or Calderon would or should be sent out in my opinion - more probable would be Bayless.

Comment

• Onions baby, Onions!!
                                Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 22, 2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X