No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whole idea of Nash is part of the 'hit the ground running' memo BC and Casey have been issuing all season.

There is no one better in the NBA at running the pick and roll which will be extremely important with JV.
    The guy is year in and year out flirting with 50/40/90 in shooting percentages - extremely rare.
    He makes everyone around him better (the only person Jose has made look good is Amir - but so has Bayless, actually).
    He adds instant credibility around the league.
    He adds instant credibility in the locker room as a 2 time MVP.
    He adds professionalism and a voice for a young team on the importance of diet and training (monkey see, monkey do).
    Statistically, his defense is much better than Calderon's - Bayless too. Put him in Casey's system and maybe he looks good.
    Look at the roster in PHX, yet they are just 1.5 games out of the tough Western Conference playoffs.
    He will not be playing more basketball this summer, he'll be training to survive the rigors of an 82 games season.

The key to any signing of Nash would be to have a plan moving forward. Personally, I still like the Kabongo idea. It will just have to possibly wait 1 year.

Also, one thing about Nash is he is an extremely nice guy. Yeah he said he'd play for the HEAT but he also said he'd consider the Knicks. Bottom line is he'll say he'll consider anyone because no doubt he will - he is unrestricted. There are only a handful of teams capable of offering him anything near what he is getting now ($11M). The contenders will be limited to $5M or $3M.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      ...There are only a handful of teams capable of offering him anything near what he is getting now ($11M). The contenders will be limited to $5M or $3M.
      I think this is key. While the whole idea of playing back in his home country may be attractive, Nash obviously approaches basketball in a business like way. And I don't think you give up on Kabongo. If he knew Nash was coming, and that the Raps were willing to take a shot on him, he would declare.

Comment

• I don't think money is that important to Steve, though. He's a winner and wants to win more than anything else.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          You simplified the stats by rounding down 3,6 to 1,4. Like I tried to say your stats are wrong. A 8/1 ratio would mean he is a son of Zeus, that should triggered a statcheck I'd think.
          Ha, you are exactly right. Got my columns mixed up.
          Correct numbers are as you say 3.5/1 in his best year. Guess I mixed him up in my mind with Jose :-)

Comment

• More from Chisolm

The Raptors will be in a position to offer Nash more money than basically every contending club that is supposed to be in the running for Nash’s services (like Miami or Los Angeles). The Raptors will also be in a position to offer Nash more than New York, his home town in the summertime. They won’t be in a position to offer more than Phoenix, of course, but Nash has laid out pretty explicit terms for returning to Phoenix that don’t seem to be too realistic for a spendthrift club. That puts Nash onto Toronto’s radar. However, Nash is going to be 39 when the next season starts and has carried a bad back with him since his days in Dallas and eventually advancing age and a bad back are going to severely limit his abilities on the basketball court. While Nash surely has another year left in him to play at a high level, no one can say for sure how high that level will be nor how soon the drop-off will come (nor how steep the drop-off will be).
            The fact is that while Nash’s age and his balky back have been issues that have been swept under the rug by his stunningly effective play that they aren’t issues and that they shouldn’t be considered by fans clamoring to bring Captain Canada back to Canada. Colangelo rolled the dice once on Nash’s back in Phoenix and won out big, but he’d be tempting the fates to try the same thing again this summer.
            http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2012/04/...e-raptors.html

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              I think this is key. While the whole idea of playing back in his home country may be attractive, Nash obviously approaches basketball in a business like way. And I don't think you give up on Kabongo. If he knew Nash was coming, and that the Raps were willing to take a shot on him, he would declare.
              can we get him to sign for us by offering him a coaching role when he decides to hang his boots?

Barbosa is gone too.

Comment

• My only contention with signing Nash is his ability to keep up defensively with younger guards. But if the Raps have a frontline of JJ, Bargnani and JV, that could potentially hide Nash's defensive liabilities, much like with Jose currently.

Probably the greatest thing that would happen with Nash in Toronto is him coming out every night and trying to win for his native team. He wont just be playing for wins but for pride as well, and thats something that not every player has. Like Rose's determination to take the Bulls to the next level because he's a chicago native.

The worst he'd probably be, at his age, IMO, is a version of Jose. Mostly passing, no penetration and shooting open 3s. Not bad.

He might even give the Raptors a home-country discount.
                Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Apr 4, 2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• The glaring difference between Calderon and Nash's game, is Nash's ability to create his own shot in short-clock iso situations. Calderon couldn't do so to save his life.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    The glaring difference between Calderon and Nash's game, is Nash's ability to create his own shot in short-clock iso situations. Calderon couldn't do so to save his life.
                    +1. Bayless can too...hahahaha

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                      +1. Bayless can too...hahahaha
                      Yeah, but Bayless will be playing in Tel-Aviv next season

Comment

• http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/160708

Nash's closing words ... for year or as a Sun

Suns guard Steve Nash spoke for 10 minutes following the team’s losing finale Wednesday night at US Airways Center. Here is everything he said:

On the home fans’ fourth-quarter “We want Steve” chant: "It was obviously amazing to get that type of reception and support. It's very special because it's not something I asked for or imagined. To get that type of spontaneous reaction means it's authentic, the relationship I thought we had. It’s great. It really feels special. The fans have been phenomenal and it's meant a lot to me to play in a city like this for as long as I have and to feel important to the fans and the community. I just feel like a very lucky guy."

On his emotions entering Wednesday night's finale: “First, I must admit that I’m not the most sentimental person in the world. It’s something I shy away from more than try to soak it up and get emotional. To be honest, I really didn’t get a chance to think about it. If this were to be my last game, it would be a night I’ll remember. It’ll be an important night for me. I didn’t get a lot of moments to put that in perspective because we were playing for our lives last night and coming back in the middle of the night and getting the kids from school and stuff like that, it’s not like you have a lot of time to sit around and put your career in perspective. I just wanted to play hard and go out on a good note for this season.”

On his next career move: “I’m going to have to obviously sit down and consider my options and maybe predict and evaluate possibilities but I’m in no rush. I think it’s important to take my time and just gain some perspective on what’s happened in my career and what the future may hold. Just a lot of speculation at this point.”

On what he needs to see from Suns management to stay: “For me, I just want our team to be as competitive as possible if I were to return. We’ll see. There are a lot of factors involved and I’ll get a chance to sit down and evaluate them all at some point.”

On the chances of him staying in Phoenix: “Honestly, I have no clue. I couldn’t predict. I don’t know what the future holds at this point. And I’m actually OK with that. I think now’s the time to maybe get some distance from it and try to find a clear perspective on where I am. Until I do that, I couldn’t put a number on it or take a guess on what the chances are on whether I’ll be back or not.”

On his desire to play three more years: “I’d like to play three more years. I’m flexible. I want to see what’s the best situation for me and we’ll see what happens.”

On the importance of winning: “Winning and being competitive and being part of a good environment, those are the top.”

On going through this process in 2004: “In a lot of ways, I feel like I’ve done everything before at this stage of my career. This is still a new moment because every moment is unto itself. We could talk all night and maybe I would never give you a straight answer because I don’t really know. I appreciate the interest and I appreciate that people are excited for whatever comes next and also interested in what my future holds. It’s very flattering.”

On the oddity of having his future up in the air after eight years in Phoenix: “Just the fact that I’m unattached in a way coming out of the NBA season is strange. I’ve been here eight years. It’s flown by. It doesn’t feel like eight years. It’s incredible. The seasons blend into one and sometimes you don’t realize how long of a period it’s been. It is strange.”

On what he thinks the Suns need: “It depends on your method and philosophy but I think the team could use more playmakers. It depends on your strategy. You could go for bigs. You could go for a consistent 20-a-game scorer. Or you could go for a few more playmakers at different positions. There are different philosophies and different ways to go about it. The team and the club need to really analyze what their philos0phy is moving forward and put a contingency plan together to build the best team. It'll be an interesting period."

On the job Coach Alvin Gentry did: “I think Alvin was unbelievable this year. If you think about it, Michael Redd was a late signing and hadn’t played for two years. So other than Michael Redd, I think Grant and I are the only guys who had really been NBA starters before. There were quite a few new guys this year too. For Alvin to put all those pieces together, for all our flaws and faults, he put us together. When we were 12-19, he didn’t let us quit. We were 12-19 and we really didn’t have a lot of answers at that point either. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey, we’re going to get better. We’re going to get better at this, that and the other.” It was like, ‘I’m not sure we’re going to get better at any of this stuff but he wouldn’t let us relent. He was phenomenal. I love playing for Alvin. I think he’s a great coach.”

On how he will remember this season: “This is a rewarding year. This is a positive season. Obviously, I’m used to playing in the playoffs. That’s important to me. We took it about as far as we could this year. It’s inevitable with the change and from some of our flaws, that we weren’t going to have a good start. We needed time. We struggled. The most important thing is the coaches stuck with us and never let us give up and found a way to make the pieces work to be greater than the sum of the parts and here we are with a chance to get in the playoffs and here we are with a chance to get in the playoffs and here we are ending .500, which is pretty fitting. We hung in there. There is reward to be had. It’s not the championship. It’s not the playoffs so we’re disappointed in that. But at the same time, when you look at it, we were greater than the sum of our parts. We had a lot of guys who sacrificed and fought and made this a pretty good year.”

On his health: “I actually feel pretty good. There’s no question it takes its toll. The NBA season is notoriously rigorous as it is but this year was crazy. From Saturday was 13 games in 19 nights. The fact that we’re going out there and playing at a pretty good clip, a clip that was just about to make the playoffs, is very acceptable. So, personally, I feel encouraged. Maybe with an elongated season and a little bit more rest, I could even play at a higher level.”

On how he would want to be remembered as a Sun: “I always hope people think of me as a competitor and a great teammate and a winner. If I’m fortunate enough for people to think of me that way as a Sun, then I’m very flattered.”
                        Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Comment

• After Wednesday’s meeting with the media, Babby’s comments reflected that Nash and the Suns are communicating and on the same plane of thought. Babby said he spoke with Nash after the lockout was lifted, and it was at that when point both parties made the agreement to hold steady for an entire season.

“I made a commitment to him that we weren’t going to trade him if he wanted to stay,” Babby said. “He was the ideal partner all season long.”

Now, Nash finally has a decision to make, but Babby said the Suns will be “full participants in that process” of reaching a final verdict.

After all, the reaction by the Phoenix home crowd in the final game of the year spoke volumes at how important Nash is to the Phoenix community, and as such, the team has every reason to go after their franchise point guard despite his age. Still, the team and the player will need to come to conclusion that their expectations of each other align.

“We have to go down the road with him and see if we can find a common path, a path that makes sense for him and that makes sense for us,” Babby said.

"Full participants in that process"

Sign and trade could be part of that process

Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/#ixzz1touPcl4o
                          Last edited by jbml; Thu May 3, 2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Yeah unlike our f/a of note (cough) who left and had also promised to be a "full participant" in the process, I am confident Nash will keep his word and if he did leave the Suns will get someone back of value.

Comment

• I don't have the patience to read all that. But it'd be great if we signed Nash (even overpaying). I think he's going end his career on a winning team and the only thing that could make me dislike his choice is if he becomes a Laker.
                              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• I don't know what to think of the Nash to Toronto anymore.

Any move that brought him here would have to be one of a series of moves.

It would be tough to have an opinion one way or another without seeing the full picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X