No announcement yet.

Barbosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the fascination with players like J,R, Smith, Nick Young, jamal crawford, For every game they help you win, they make you lose 5 games with the amount of bricks they throw up. You can put ben gordon on that list as well.

As per the thread, if I was Barbosa (it's his player option after all), I'd take that option year. Management like they did with Halladay and Stojakovic, if the team isn't working out they'll agree to trade Barbosa to a contender.

But yeah I want him in a Raptors uniform next season.
    Last edited by Raptorsss; Fri May 20, 2011, 01:26 AM.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors were in a different position, Barbosa would be a great guy to keep. But there are two problems with keeping him. The first is that he takes playing time away from other young players who may need it, especially in crunch time. Secondly, he's an asset that will probably only decline after next season. Rebuilding teams don't have the luxury of keeping declining assets like Barbosa because they need players who will either help them over the next 5-8 years (which for a guy like Barbosa who has had the injury history he has is doubtful) or assets that increase in value. Barbosa sin't either of those.
      Looking at it from a different perspective, Barbosa is a veteran worth having on a team, specially when the Raps main guys are pretty much the same position as he is. He's going to provide good advice and guidance to Bayless, DD and to the young pg if we're going to get one. But like i said, 7mil is too much for this purpose.

Comment

I like the idea of Barbosa playing his last year at $7 mil. He could have another year of being a solid player and mentoring the youngens. This would also give the opportunity to trade his expiring deal to a team looking to contend with that extra push off the bench or a team looking to free up cap space. Even if the raps keep him for that last year it would take a nice chunk of salary off the books next year.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          Looking at it from a different perspective, Barbosa is a veteran worth having on a team, specially when the Raps main guys are pretty much the same position as he is. He's going to provide good advice and guidance to Bayless, DD and to the young pg if we're going to get one. But like i said, 7mil is too much for this purpose.
          I think he's a luxury, though. He's far more valuable as a trade asset, even if he were making less money. The Raptors would gain more from trading him than from keeping him.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            I think he's a luxury, though. He's far more valuable as a trade asset, even if he were making less money. The Raptors would gain more from trading him than from keeping him.
            A luxury we cant afford! Agree.

Comment

You know, I voted that I hope he opts in then we trade him, but, if he opts out, that's another 7.6m the Raps can use for free agency.

If they pick up the options on Julian Wright and Joey Dorsey, AND Barbosa opts out, that's 21.7m the Raps have to spend (assuming, of course, the cap stays the same). Even if the cap drops significantly, the Raps would still have PLENTY to outbid LAC for Deandre Jordan.

Then they flip Calderon for Felton, and have Bargnani come off the bench.

Felton/Bayless
              Derozan/______
              J.Johnson/J.Wright/Kleiza
              Davis/A.Johnson/Dorsey
              Jordan/Bargnani

+ the #5 pick.

Comment

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe he could help recruit his friend Nene to the Raptors?
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                  You know, I voted that I hope he opts in then we trade him, but, if he opts out, that's another 7.6m the Raps can use for free agency.

If they pick up the options on Julian Wright and Joey Dorsey, AND Barbosa opts out, that's 21.7m the Raps have to spend (assuming, of course, the cap stays the same). Even if the cap drops significantly, the Raps would still have PLENTY to outbid LAC for Deandre Jordan.

Felton/Bayless
                  Derozan/______
                  Davis/A.Johnson/Dorsey
                  Jordan/Bargnani

+ the #5 pick.
                  J wright should be behind kleiza

Comment

Felton/Bayless
                    Derozan/______
                    Davis/A.Johnson/Dorsey
                    Jordan/Bargnani

+ the #5 pick.
                    Your numbers are off.

If Wright and Dorsey are slotted in for next year at the value of their qualifying offers (and I really am against extending the QO to Wright for $4 mil), and Barbosa, Evans, Weems and Ajinca all leave the team, that puts our 2011-2012 payroll at ~$44.3 mil. Even without counting the rookie scale contract for whoever we draft, that puts us at ~$13.7 mil, assuming the cap doesn't drop, which it most certainly will. Factor in the drafted rookie and that puts us at ~$11.8 mil, minus whatever the cap changes by. One more thing: until we renounce our TPE credit of ~$9.0 mil, or until it expires, the ~$11.8 mil becomes ~$2.8 mil, minus whatever the cap changes by. So yeah, I'm not sure where you got the $21.7 mil figure from at all.

Comment

Last season's cap was $58 million.

I may have forgotten to add in a contract or something, but, looking here:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

It seems the Raps - without Barbosa but with everyone else - have 13.9m in cap space (based on this year's cap number).

Julian Wright at 4m is too much, I agree. So strike him. That leaves 17.9m in cap space.

Minus the rookie cap hold, of, say 3m or so, that leaves 14.9m.

That's likely enough to ensure the Raps can make a legitimate bid for Jordan if they were so inclined (which they should be).

Also: Raptors_: the reason I had Wright ahead of Kleiza was because Kleiza is likely injured until at least January, and given the nature of his injury/surgery, it will likely be longer until he's really in good game shape.

Comment

Last season's cap was $58 million.

I may have forgotten to add in a contract or something, but, looking here:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

It seems the Raps - without Barbosa but with everyone else - have 13.9m in cap space (based on this year's cap number).

Julian Wright at 4m is too much, I agree. So strike him. That leaves 17.9m in cap space.

Minus the rookie cap hold, of, say 3m or so, that leaves 14.9m.

That's likely enough to ensure the Raps can make a legitimate bid for Jordan if they were so inclined (which they should be).

Also: Raptors_: the reason I had Wright ahead of Kleiza was because Kleiza is likely injured until at least January, and given the nature of his injury/surgery, it will likely be longer until he's really in good game shape.
                        Not to nitpick, but it's closer to $13.7 mil than $13.9 mil. The NBA salary cap was only $58.044 mil IIRC, and the combined payroll without Barbosa but with Wright and Dorsey is a bit over $43.3 mil.

And if we strike Wright, don't forget to add back a rookie minimum salary (without Wright, we're at under 12 players, even with our draft pick added).

That puts my calculation at $14,283,287 cap space, but only if 1) Barbosa turns down the player option (unlikely), 2) we forfeit the TPE (likely), and 3) the cap stays the same (unlikely, as the owners are asking for a $45 mil hard cap to be implemented over a series of seasons).

Realistically, we have only $6,683,287 cap space, minus however much the salary cap is reduced by. In that event, we are unlikely to attract any desirable FAs.

The other question is, is he worth however much we would have to offer to keep him from the Clippers or any other team, based on his one decent season? The Yogi Stewart experience was a bit traumatizing, and Jordan was Bargnani bad on defense the two seasons before this one.

Comment

Working...
                        X