No announcement yet.

How many wins for the 2011-2012 Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With so many people saying 18, I'm gonna price-is-right them and go 17. Just because.

As for SuperRaptor, well, I don't envy you the colossal disappointment you're in for. Soon you will be like the rest of us, cautious in your optimism.

Comment

Me and SuperRaptors are very optimistic. I don't think we'll make the playoffs this year but i expect big things from this team in the coming seasons. I want to see this team discussed regularly on NBA gametime, i want to shut up those americans who think we don't deserve a team up here. We will prove a lot of people wrong in the coming seasons

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        If they make the playoffs with this team, then Casey deserves a raise. And the Raptors will finally have an All-Star again.
        Just because we make the playoffs doesn't mean it's a given that we'll have an All-Star.

Take last season for example: Who was the All-Star on the Indiana Pacers?

Comment

One year of maturity/experience, more veteran leadership, more defensive accountability which will lead to a few more stops, more experienced depth on the bench. I'm sticking with my 25 wins and 41 losses record.

For preseason I think they will go 0-2.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
            Just because we make the playoffs doesn't mean it's a given that we'll have an All-Star.

Take last season for example: Who was the All-Star on the Indiana Pacers?
            Well, although he wasn't an All Star last year, Danny Granger is their All-Star. Besides, the Pacers were a much deeper and more veteran team than the Raptors, so my thinking is that is the Raptors make the playoffs, it's because someone has suddenly become an All-Star. Otherwise the talent level is simply not there.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Me and SuperRaptors are very optimistic. I don't think we'll make the playoffs this year but i expect big things from this team in the coming seasons. I want to see this team discussed regularly on NBA gametime, i want to shut up those americans who think we don't deserve a team up here. We will prove a lot of people wrong in the coming seasons
              You think the Raptors becoming a playoff team is going to do that? Really? So why haven't their previous playoff trips done that? For that to happen, the Raptors actually have to be a contender. And the Raptors are NOT going to be a contender this year. Best way for them to become a contender? Draft a franchise player in the next draft.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                With so many people saying 18, I'm gonna price-is-right them and go 17. Just because.

As for SuperRaptor, well, I don't envy you the colossal disappointment you're in for. Soon you will be like the rest of us, cautious in your optimism.
                I watched every game last year, there were a lot of games that we were in, and some that we got blown out. I dont think we are as far as some people think we are to being a good team. This years team is a bigger, stronger, more mature, and probably better defensive team than last years was. I see us getting over the hump on those games that we were so close in last year, and becoming an average team. If it doesnt happen I will be disappointed no doubt, but I am confident in the future of this team with JV coming and all the cap flexibility we have coming next year, either way I will be good. I feel like I am being cautious with my optimism (lol I dont expect them to win the championship or something, that would be too optimistic).
                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                  One year of maturity/experience, more veteran leadership, more defensive accountability which will lead to a few more stops, more experienced depth on the bench. I'm sticking with my 25 wins and 41 losses record.

For preseason I think they will go 0-2.
                  We play Boston twice in preseason? lol I think we will be 0-2 also.
                  "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                    I watched every game last year, there were a lot of games that we were in, and some that we got blown out. I dont think we are as far as some people think we are to being a good team. This years team is a bigger, stronger, more mature, and probably better defensive team than last years was. I see us getting over the hump on those games that we were so close in last year, and becoming an average team. If it doesnt happen I will be disappointed no doubt, but I am confident in the future of this team with JV coming and all the cap flexibility we have coming next year, either way I will be good. I feel like I am being cautious with my optimism (lol I dont expect them to win the championship or something, that would be too optimistic).
                    The question is, how many other teams to you watch? EVERY team plays a lot of close games. I think there's way more than you think. The difference is that the good teams know how to win those. Watch the close games with the good teams and with the mediocre teams. The good teams simply don't make nearly as many mistakes in the last few minutes. And that's why the veteran teams tend to win more. They make a lot fewer mistakes in the last few minutes. And that's why the Raptors are at a disadvantage. They still have a young team. You can stick as many veterans on the bench as possible, but it's still DeRozan, Bargnani, Davis, Amir and Bayless that are going to most likely have to make the plays at the end, and there's simply not a lot of big game experience between them.

I know you're not going to really care about what I just said, because it pours cold water on your optimism, but the difference between a good team is a bad team is not only talent, but players who know how to win. And, quite frankly, few on the Raptors know how to win.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

OK, here's my guess... 15-18. Why you ask? Well, in my observations from watching ball, defensive teams tend to score less (perhaps because they expend much of their energy on defence). Defensive teams also tend to have one or two players in the line-up with simply defence on mind (like a Bruce Bowen or a Sefolosha). This team I think will lose quite a bit because the players they have are not known for their defence and are being asked / told to focus on things that are lacking in their game.

Heck, I'd be happy if they only won 12. That's top 5-lottery numbers. I'd also be happy if they lose most games by several points while keeping their opponents under a 100 points. The defensive growth they can accumulate this year will be far more beneficial to the team down the line when it comes to signing free agents next year. With the core experiencing more time together under Casey's system, I think this will be good for everyone. Casey will last the duration of his contract because his methods are different from past coaches and really, with such low expectations from this team, the Raps will fly under the radar. Can you really fire him halfway through his contract when defence is the lesson? So, 15-18 wins it is but 12 would be better if the team pushes for a more defensive stance, while at times struggling to score. That's all fine by me.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i'll go with 16. originally (i.e. a week or so ago), i was thinking they'd be right at 18 (which is the same winning % as last year), but even though i think they'll be better defensively (eventually), i think that the shortened season works against them. for one, they're still a young team at their core; despite adding a slew of vets, those vets really aren't going to (nor are they expected to) contribute much on the court. their presence is more valuable as mentors to show the youngsters the ropes & create a more mature locker-room vibe. i think that vet. teams may not have an advantage from an energy standpoint with such a condensed schedule, but they will have a better understanding that each game has greater significance, and there will be fewer games 'stolen' by lesser teams against them. there will always be teams that choose to rest their vets (i.e. the spurs), but for the most part, teams with playoff aspirations will be going hard each & every game.

for another - i think we're REAAAALLY overstating the move of bargs to the 4. all that (and the signing of gray - magloire is a footnote) does is limit PT for guys like amir & davis, two players who actually contribute in a positive way to the team winning. so, let's say gray starts with bargs (at the 5 & 4, respectively)...we do realize that we're now expecting AARON GRAY to cover for bargnani, right? all while reducing amir & eds PT & (potentially) slowing their development. faaaantastic. oh, and when they do go with either amir or ed at the 5...they'll still be putting bargs out there at the 4, which is the same thing they did last year. so, the big improvement is adding an exceptionally marginal 5 in gray, and that's supposed to have some sort of meaningful difference? i guess if it shifts the blame from bargs, mission accomplished...
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

I voted for 15-18, but I just looked at the schedule for the first time and I now think it'll be closer to the previous choice, 11-14 wins. I think we'll have 5-6 wins by the end of February, but things will "turn around" in March and April as the team grows accustomed to the level of effort required by Casey's system.

Or it could go the other way, where we start off really well and then start losing like crazy, as the young guys discover that even when they put in the hustle and effort and play Casey's system, they simply don't have the talent to pull out wins. Then by the time the second half rolls around, they'll be so discouraged and not want to put in the effort, and plus injuries will start piling up that they'll actually digress (record-wise).

Same result either way though.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

I predicted 16 wins prior to all the signings. After hearing about Gray, Magloire and Carter - I think that prediction will stand.

For all their talk about defense.. I have a feeling that their offense will struggle. If more energy and thought needs to be expelled on defense, they will have less of that to use on offense. If there are so many back to back games, it will make it even harder to work hard on offense. The teams that have veteran talent will be able to succeed simply because for the most part they will be optimally sound on offense.

If statistically our best player last year gets less minutes this year then it will be even tougher to win. A new system with some new faces, with less practice time and a new coach means a lot more mistakes. I see the Raptors losing a lot earlier on. Will probably have about 5 or 6 wins by all-star break. Then will get 10 more after the break when most of the better teams are already in the playoffs and will be resting more of their talent.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              and plus injuries will start piling up that they'll actually digress (record-wise).
                              I think you meant "regress"

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I predicted 15 wins a week and I haven't changed my mind. Of course, considering how my predictions the last couple of years went, it's going to be less than that. Still, that's what I'm sticking to. Hopefully low enough to get the top pick.
                                Wow Tim, and I thought 3-in a row games were going to be hell, but more than 2-a-day games!!? The young legs of the Raps must be why you think they will take 15 wins a week!

I am about 19wins on prediction for the season, most of this coming from the coaching change, minor amounts from improved players.

Comment

Working...
                                X