OFFICIAL: Landry Fields is a Toronto Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoBan wrote: View Post
    How can you not be sure what I'm hoping for?? ... It's the immediate firing of Colangelo.

Doesn't come quickly? DOESNT COME QUICKLY? There is no visible path to success here. It's been 4 years and going on 5 of not even sniffing the playoffs and looking to the lotto before the all star game.
    +1

there is no denying it. This offseason has been a huge clusterf*** . we have been told by BC to wait a little longer we have all this cap space and flexibility.

for what? Landy Fields and.... ? I have a hard to thinking that there is redemption.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post
      +1

there is no denying it. This offseason has been a huge clusterf*** . we have been told by BC to wait a little longer we have all this cap space and flexibility.

for what? Landy Fields and.... ? I have a hard to thinking that there is redemption.
      Kyle Lowry?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        So the extra $2.1M per year would cause Raps to have to give up draft picks and young lowly paid players?

I don't think $2,1M is a deal breaker for the type of contract I was alluding to.
        I think you have to give something useful along with a bad contract which extends beyond the current year. Unless you receive goods of equal poor quality, of course.

Landry Fields at $6.3M towards the cap space is not an attractive asset for this year and the next if he plays near or at the same level of skills he displayed the past two years. In my opinion his contract is much more of a liability than an asset for the next two years.

There is always a chance he will improve significantly and be a fair or favorable contract but at $19M over 3 years, it is setting the bar pretty high before he provides fair value.

Yes, we may get something decent in return when we approach the trade deadline in the last year of his contract but that's 2 1/2 years away and until then, his contract restricts our ability to sign a better free agent.

Comment

• i read somewhere i think yahoo via twitter that the offer was never officially made. since of the july 11th thing.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
            I think you have to give something useful along with a bad contract which extends beyond the current year. Unless you receive goods of equal poor quality, of course.

Landry Fields at $6.3M towards the cap space is not an attractive asset for this year and the next if he plays near or at the same level of skills he displayed the past two years. In my opinion his contract is much more of a liability than an asset for the next two years.

There is always a chance he will improve significantly and be a fair or favorable contract but at $19M over 3 years, it is setting the bar pretty high before he provides fair value.

Yes, we may get something decent in return when we approach the trade deadline in the last year of his contract but that's 2 1/2 years away and until then, his contract restricts our ability to sign a better free agent.
            Fair enough.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              i read somewhere i think yahoo via twitter that the offer was never officially made. since of the july 11th thing.
              Nothing is official until the 11th.

However, very few people *I'm looking at your MJ, John Salmons, and Turk* renege on verbal commitments..... but it does happen

Comment

• i agree it would be douchey for the raps to do. but, fuck nobody cars about them anyway.

i don't have a problem with the deal actually. if it was 5 i would. but, i mean 3. if he sucks he could be moved as an expiring in two summers from now.

sure he'll be overpaid. but, it ain't my money, the raptors had to take a chance, he's not a bad player.

seriously, everyone always freaks out about every move the raptors make like they had something better going for them and said "fuck it."

newsflash, they dont!
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• NoBan wrote: View Post
                  How can you not be sure what I'm hoping for?? ... It's the immediate firing of Colangelo.

Doesn't come quickly? DOESNT COME QUICKLY? There is no visible path to success here. It's been 4 years and going on 5 of not even sniffing the playoffs and looking to the lotto before the all star game.

You argue that he's done a good job of assembling a young core that can grow organically. 2 issues - 1) if you think DeRo and ED are core pieces, youre a homer and 2) why so hotly and publicly pursue a 38 year old that will change the identity of the team (after we build a defensively minded culture last season)? It's a spectacularly flawed plan that predictably continues to fail. .....
                  This is an extremely strong argument. Who would replace Colangelo is irrelevant. That's not in any of our pay scale. You don't draft a pf to play with your best player who is a pf and then say you are building around your best player. That was a flat out lie. IF they ever built around Bosh they would have traded that pick for a star Center. I mean come on, they both play the 4 the same way (except one can rebound and play defense). That's just for starters.

Firing a former coach of the year when he's a game below .500? Not a good look. Bad free agent signings, etc. Whether you hate Bargs or love him, you can't say that trading him wouldn't have gotten us further into our development than keeping him has... can you? He's drafted well -- recently. But that's not the only thing a GM should be doing. And that Nash thing was a failed money grab. Wouldn't putting together a competitive team, not firing a solid coach, actually surrounding your "star" with the right players, etc, be a better strategy to bring people to games in a long-term manner? Don't get me started on his second round draft picks...

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                    i agree it would be douchey for the raps to do. but, fuck nobody cars about them anyway.

i don't have a problem with the deal actually. if it was 5 i would. but, i mean 3. if he sucks he could be moved as an expiring in two summers from now.

sure he'll be overpaid. but, it ain't my money, the raptors had to take a chance, he's not a bad player.

seriously, everyone always freaks out about every move the raptors make like they had something better going for them and said "fuck it."

newsflash, they dont!
                    +1 We're trying to add talent, and that's something we just don't have. Landry Fields is a solid starter, not an all-star, but a player in the league that will last 10 years in the league, guy has game.

Plus, even though not too big on trading away a possible pick, we gave up a reserve player in Forbes for arguably a top-10 point guard, BC made a great plan B, and this is smarter for the future in terms of the Lowry vs. Nash ordeal.

Ross and Acy are high motor players. Acy is very similar to our old man, Reggie Evans, but is much more skilled offensively than he is. Terrence Ross is a great shooter, has solid ability to create a shot, and was said to be an aggressive defender. Two players that fit into Dwane Casey's system of defense, defense, defense.

If I may say, I doubt Landry is back on the Knicks next season, I totally see him on the roster next season. We have a MUCH talented roster, with an infusions of talent now and for the future.

Oh yeah, did anyone say JONAS VALANCIUNAS? Even though he has a lot of hype, the guy can play, much tougher than what we perceive as 'Soft European' players.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      This is an extremely strong argument. Who would replace Colangelo is irrelevant. That's not in any of our pay scale. You don't draft a pf to play with your best player who is a pf and then say you are building around your best player. That was a flat out lie. IF they ever built around Bosh they would have traded that pick for a star Center. I mean come on, they both play the 4 the same way (except one can rebound and play defense). That's just for starters.

Firing a former coach of the year when he's a game below .500? Not a good look. Bad free agent signings, etc. Whether you hate Bargs or love him, you can't say that trading him wouldn't have gotten us further into our development than keeping him has... can you? He's drafted well -- recently. But that's not the only thing a GM should be doing. And that Nash thing was a failed money grab. Wouldn't putting together a competitive team, not firing a solid coach, actually surrounding your "star" with the right players, etc, be a better strategy to bring people to games in a long-term manner? Don't get me started on his second round draft picks...
                      Tunnel Vision.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• "Fields finished his senior season leading the Pac-10 in scoring and rebounding, despite playing primarily as a shooting guard and small forward. He was named to the All-Pac-10 first team. His average of 22 points per game was also good enough for eighth in the nation overall in scoring."

From Wikipedia

He maybe overpaid some but that is not his fault. It was the circumstances. He is a good player with character and will be a positive addition to the team.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Tunnel Vision.
                          Troll.

Use evidence, facts, create an argument or step.

Comment

• Landry Fields is among the best available free agents, he has proven he can play heavy minutes at the 2 and 3 in the nba, and has put up amazing numbers doing so. I'm no WP48 cultist, but do feel the stat has some merit, so for example he is the 2nd rated free agent on wages of wins.

He fits Casey's defensive orientation as well as the character/motor the team is looking for.

Great signing. Anybody who doesn't want Fields on this team is basically broadcasting the fact that their opinions on basketball can be safely ignored.

Fields, Lowry and Ross are exactly the kind of guys the team should be bringing in. I'll let the front office worry about money and who gets how much. It ain't my money. I love the Fields signing and I'm hoping NY doesn't match.

I'd love to see a starting line up next year of JV, ED, Fields, Ross and Lowry. There will be lots of mistakes, but these are all productive players (or project to be in the case of Ross). There will be lots of mistakes with this much youth in the lineup, but f this is our starting line up, we win 45+ games. I'd be OK with Amir instead of ED. I wonder what Liston thinks.

I think BC has moved on from Andrea and DeMar. High five to Rucker if had anything to do with it. And certainly Casey seems to have been a really good influence.

Best,

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                              Landry Fields is among the best available free agents
                              not quite. He is among the more serviceable free agents...lets not put him up there with Nash/DWill and like just yet

Quirk wrote: View Post
                              he has proven he can play heavy minutes at the 2 and 3 in the nba,
                              True

and has put up amazing numbers doing so.
                              9pts 5 boards and 3 assists are hardly amazing. They are again...I repeat...serviceable.

I'm no WP48 cultist, but do feel the stat has some merit, so for example he is the 2nd rated free agent on wages of wins.
                              That was based on him making 800K not 8 times that

He fits Casey's defensive orientation as well as the character/motor the team is looking for.
                              True

Great signing. Anybody who doesn't want Fields on this team is basically broadcasting the fact that their opinions on basketball can be safely ignored.
                              There are reasons not to like this signing. They are valid reasons. Opinions to the negative should not be ignored. I do however think he is and will be a solid player in the future. We overpaid no questions asked. That's not a debate. But you will always OVERPAY for an RFA its the only way to make the other team blink

Fields, Lowry and Ross are exactly the kind of guys the team should be bringing in.
                              agreed

I'll let the front office worry about money and who gets how much. It ain't my money.
                              There is an argument to be made towards the competency of a GM based on who gets what money. Its a fair discussion to have.

I love the Fields signing and I'm hoping NY doesn't match.
                              I like it...I don't love it. Solid two way player lots of upside high bball IQ.

I'd love to see a starting line up next year of JV, ED, Fields, Ross and Lowry.
                              Gotta make the rookie earn it. Might be some of the issues we have with DeRozan he was fed starters minutes.

we win 45+ games. I'd be OK with Amir instead of ED. I wonder what Liston thinks.
                              we most definitely do not win 45 games with that line up

I think BC has moved on from Andrea and DeMar.
                              What are you basing that on?

Casey seems to have been a really good influence.
                              Agreed
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                That was based on him making 800K not 8 times that
                                No, it isn't. It's based "Value at Minutes Played" and values him at 15M per year, based on his body of work so far. Below only Nash.

Now, as I said, I'm no WP48 cultist, I do not believe he is the 2nd most valuable free agent this year, but do believe, as I said, that he is among them. By among them I mean best 5 or so. Certainly given his age.

Money is just another asset. Getting assets in the NBA is hard, I would rather "overpay" with money, then with picks or players. When you get a chance to bring in a young, productive player that fits your team needs, you do it anyway you can.

"value" is extremely relative to opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X