Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmie wrote: View Post
    He's not very good at basketball?
    Hahahahaha well said. I actually LOLed.. he quite possibly the worst thing since Arron Gray.

Comment

b2kelly wrote: View Post
      Hahahahaha well said. I actually LOLed.. he quite possibly the worst thing since Arron Gray.
      How can you say that when he got to play like 15 min the whole season and was coming off an injury?

Comment

And why do you think he only got 15 minutes? It's time to move on folks.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          And why do you think he only got 15 minutes? It's time to move on folks.
          dude its been a year. How is it time to move on? Alabi has some potential he could be a decent backup for JV. I say give him osme playing time this year and if he does well then keep him if not trade him.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            I somewhat agree with this but you can't compare Bismack to Alabi. Basmack is FAR FAR FAR more athletically gifted, better explosiveness, better rebounder, better defender, better blocker. I do wish Alabi is given an opportunity though, especially in this season where it doesn't really matter if we lose.
            I would have the same concerns with Biyombo. GMs and scouts fall in love with athleticism but how many Biyombo type players actually turn out to be effective NBA players? You can run fast, jump high and knock people around but at some point you have to be able to grab rebounds, defend without fouling, help your teammates and provide some type of scoring threat. Go back and look at all the big men drafted in the last 10 years and the scouting reports, you'll find a lot of them who came with the same package as Biyombo and rarely played.

As for Alabi, again, you can't teach a guy the sport in the NBA. It simply isn't fair to his teammates or the coaching staff. It's also not fair to Alabi. Having a guy out there getting embarassed isn't going to help his game or anyone else's. Honestly, he needs about 5 or 6 years in Europe at varying levels to learn how to play, then he might, might be able to be a bench guy in the NBA. No NBA team has the time or resources to wait that long for one guy.

Comment

I could see him being some other team's James Johnson or in other words an obvious talent who can't get PT due to roster depth. I don't think he'll have instant impact like JJ but I do think we might be looking back in three years and saying, "why did we let him go?"

Comment

Can you answer the question though? Why do you think he only got 15 minutes? He wasn't hurt all year.

I love a feelgood story as much as the next guy, but I think Alabi has as much chance of becoming a decent backup C in the NBA as JV has of winning Rookie of the year for the 2011-2012 season. Why is there so much fascination over 2nd round draft picks amongst Raptor fans? Is it because none of ours have ever panned out and we're just that desperate to see one make it?
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I could see him being some other team's James Johnson or in other words an obvious talent who can't get PT due to roster depth. I don't think he'll have instant impact like JJ but I do think we might be looking back in three years and saying, "why did we let him go?"
                  We let him go because we had Jamaal Magloire, Aaron Gray, Ed Davis, Amir Johnson and Andrea Bargnani all capable of playing the same position. And had Jonas Valanciunas on the way, who is supposedly a franchise player.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

If Alabi would be worth a chance, he would get it. Coach and staff decided, while seen him on practice, he isn't even close to NBA level. You can't learnt how to play basketball at age 23...
                    even if he would been drafted 15th.. it didn't change much

Comment

There is absolutely nothing to lose by giving him a chance to try and learn this season...

Comment

Well... i don't want to get involved into discussion, similar either Bargnani is worth or not to be a Raptor, or Bayless. But i will agree with coaching staff, if they said, he's not even close to even being given a chance.. i tend to believe them.

Comment

irgigi wrote: View Post
                          Well... i don't want to get involved into discussion, similar either Bargnani is worth or not to be a Raptor, or Bayless. But i will agree with coaching staff, if they said, he's not even close to even being given a chance.. i tend to believe them.
                          There were a lot of people who coaches though were shit that turned out to be great...

Comment

Help me out on this. I mean everyone who wants Alabi to get more minutes. He shows up at every practice right? And he gets to go up against all the other bigs, right? And all the coaches get to see him working out on the floor, shooting the ball, practicing big man skills and move, right? And he isn't getting playing time. Is it because of some evil conspiracy to prevent him from showing how good he is...wait a minute...they see him every day in practice, sometimes twice a day. They already have a good idea of how good he is. In what universe do you get better when you are faced with better talent? when you are suddenly forced to play against other NBA ballers whose moves and tendencies you don't know from watching them every day?

If Alabi was better than anyone else on the team, he would be playing more than that person. Maybe Casey doesn't want his ego to be crushed, and doesn't want the other players to throw in the towel because "Hell, look at that. The game is out of reach. Coach put Alabi in."

Comment

apparently he played tonight. got 3 rebounds in 5 minutes. he also committed 2 fouls.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He showed pretty good hustle in his brief time out, but blew what should have been an easy dunk/put-back. And it also was pretty clear that nobody else wanted to pass to him. I wouldn't give up on him yet. Honestly I thought he had more of a positive impact on the game in his couple minutes than Grey had in his 17 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X