Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the new focus of AB as PF for the benefit of the Raps in a trade or next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the new focus of AB as PF for the benefit of the Raps in a trade or next year?

I think it is fair to say BC was the most realistic I have ever heard him in a press conference. Keep in mind a GM can't come out and say, "We are sh!t." or "We have nobody on this team worth anything."

With that said, the new focus of AB as a PF (from Colangelo today and Bargnani last week) has me wondering:

Is this new focus because we know he is a failure defensively as a C in the NBA and:

1) this is the new 'promotion' to raise his trade value with a team that has a C already, or
    2) is it to hopefully keep him around for next year with a legit C next to him in a Raps uniform?
    Raise trade value to ship him out.
    51.52%
    Pair him with a legit C next year in TOR.
    18.18%
    I don't know - both are realistic situations right now.
    30.30%

#1.

Comment

Dear God It Better Be Option 1.

Comment

I mean...if we move Davis or Amir to try and cover up White Swan's historically bad rebounding and league worst help defense because he can score inefficiently...I'm following a new team.

Comment

No, this is the way BC is going for another year. He is going to try to move either Amir or Ed ( two people who have trade values) and see if he can make something happen. Without AB, we are not going to win more than 18 games next season anyway so BC is going to give it one more try.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
            I mean...if we move Davis or Amir to try and cover up White Swan's historically bad rebounding and league worst help defense because he can score inefficiently...I'm following a new team.
            I think AB scores efficiently and in variety of the way But I think Tim will be following you too

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
              I think AB scores efficiently
              You're wrong, he doesn't. Otherwise nobody would want him traded so much/the media wouldn't be calling him out. He's only been efficient for one season in his entire career: the last one Bosh played.

Comment

I think AB scores efficiently and in variety of the way But I think Tim will be following you too
                The key words are: I think. Obviously you are entitled to think what you please, as am I or anyone else, however mathematics and statistics do not back the thought.

Comment

No, this is the way BC is going for another year. He is going to try to move either Amir or Ed ( two people who have trade values) and see if he can make something happen. Without AB, we are not going to win more than 18 games next season anyway so BC is going to give it one more try.
                  I admire your loyalty to Bargs but the suggestion to move Amir or even Ed is beyond comprehension. Move a potentially good frontcourt player in Ed on a rookie contract? Are you serious? Just to keep Andrea?
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

^^^ If the Plan is to keep Andera and try him at PF ( Which is what BC said) and bring a Legitimate center, then you need to do it either through Free Agency or giving up some real talent.

In both case, one of the guys , Amir or Ed, should be moved as a trading chip or in the case of Amir as giving Raps more room in Salary front.

I am sure BC will try really hard to hold on onto ED so the Odd man out is AMIR IF the plan is too keep AB.

Comment

Without AB, we are not going to win more than 18 games next season anyway so BC is going to give it one more try.
                      With AB we are only going to win 25 so what's the difference? Either way we need more/better players. Bargnani will not play power forward here IMO unless as a back up PF/backup C.

^^^ If the Plan is to keep Andera and try him at PF ( Which is what BC said) and bring a Legitimate center, then you need to do it either through Free Agency or giving up some real talent.

In both case, one of the guys , Amir or Ed, should be moved as a trading chip or in the case of Amir as giving Raps more room in Salary front.

I am sure BC will try really hard to hold on onto ED so the Odd man out is AMIR IF the plan is too keep AB.
                      Why the "should"? BC himself said the goal next year was to continue to load up on "good" contracts, which BOTH Amir and Ed (speaking in terms of production per $$$ versus players of comparable position and salary) as I wrote in my extensive post about three weeks ago, it would be VERY difficult to trade Amir and get a player who give better production per cost of salary. IF Bargnani gets more burn at PF this year you do not need to get rid or Amir or Ed, It just means that you don't resign reggie evans. That's what we had this year, Reggie/Evans/Amir as the PFs and Bargnani as C. Also unless BC is successful in bringing in that BIG C. Moving Bargs to the PF won't make a difference if he is being paired with reggie/evans/amir as it is still he same front court line ups. The only way I see bargs getting burn at PF is if Coangelo is actively shopping him. I could go either way with bargnani next year (which is friendlier than most posters who want to see him gone like yesterday) but in terms of Power Forwards we get really good production from Amir and Davis so I see Bargnani as the odd man out. IF I were GM this is the front court rotation I'd use

Amir/Davis/Evans
                      (BIG CENTER)/Bargnani/Evans/Ajinca/Alibi

I would also use Barg's at the three for a couple of shifts a game maybe 2-3 offensive positions a game to a max of 5 min's total at the 3 spot. But no matter how you slice it I just don't see him getting a lot of burn at PF. He seems to be better are gaurding 5's and you don't get to choose who guards you on the offensive side of the ball.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think things are moving along nicely without me here.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

by the looks of it right now the raptor are drafting 3rd. on most mock drafts they have a center in the 3rd slot. its pretty easy to understand the raptors taking a center with the high pick (kanter,valanciunas) and then bringin in a Vet center for a few years till the new center is more polished. and trade bargnani. what many fans are trying to say is that it would be easier to do a plan like the one i have listed above and dedicate the team to defense more then it owuld be to find players to hide bargnnais downside.

Comment

If AB was an all star quality above average scorer it could make up for his lack of effort at the other end and you wouldn't be talking about moving Amir or Ed. He isn't above average as a shooter in fact both Ed and Amir may be more efficient. So why would you sacrifice one of them in an attempt to hold on to Bargs. It looks to me as preferential treatment for someone for reasons beyond basketball.

Comment

If BC is able to get the tough, defensive-minded C he has been looking for, then I am 99.9% sure that either Bargnani or Amir will get traded.

To me, there are pros & cons of both moves:

BARGNANI
                              + 20+ppg C/PF, 26 years old, making $10M over the next couple seasons
                              + offensive ability to spread the floor, pull the defensive C away from the basket, decent court vision and passing ability
                              - horrendous defense, especially help-defense
                              - no desire for rebounding

AMIR
                              + heart & hustle, leaves it all on the court
                              + improving short/mid-range shot and FT shooting
                              - foul prone, which serious impacts his ability to stay on the floor to consistently play 'starters minutes'
                              - game is very similar to Davis, making him a little bit redundant

For me, it probably would come down to which player would net the Raptors a better return in a trade.

Assuming the new defensive C is truly a good one, then my preference would be to trade Amir. I love Amir, but with him basically being a copy of Davis who is becoming the starting PF of the future, Amir has become a bit redundant. I think his $5M contract makes him highly desirable and much easier to trade than Bargnani. I also like the fact that New-C/Davis/Bargnani gives the team much more lineup variation to exploit matchups than a New-C/Davis/Amir lineup would.

Comment

Working...
                              X