No announcement yet.

Warriors and Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhere over the course of this season despite showing his improvements DeMar became the new Bargnani of the Raptors to the fans.

I can see a new GM possibly trading DeMar to insert Ross in the starting line up to add the starting PF on to the team. But MLSE stands on something exciting with Rudy and DeMar playing together best believe they are going to be marketed like crazy during preseason.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      Somewhere over the course of this season despite showing his improvements DeMar became the new Bargnani of the Raptors to the fans.
      If I had to be pro demar or anti-demar, I would fall into the anti-demar camp. However, people saying that Demar is unlikely to live up to his contract in no way means he has been anointed as the new-bargs. Personally I think the odds of demar's contract becoming a value contract are less than 50% (whereas, I felt like amir's was over %50) if demar's contact becomes a value contract, does he suddenly become the new-amir?

Also, demar has been marketed "like crazy" before, which wasn't really warranted by his on court production. I'm firmly with ebrian on this one. The name of the game is value contracts, I don't think demar's is a value contract, and I don't think it's likely to become one. So, if you get the chance to trade him in a package that will brings back something decent then you have to consider it.

Does that mean that I think Demar is the new bargs? NO, and I have seen anyone else making that comparison (except that both were awarded contracts on potential rather than output, which a lot more players fall under than just these two).
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Similar to a lot of Colangelo's moves, when you view the DD extension in a vacuum it isn't an egregious mistake. They will pay him $9.5 million over the next four seasons. In my opinion, he should be making $6-7 million per season. So yes I do think DeRozan is overpaid but let's not act like this is Gilbert Arenas or Rashard Lewis making $20 million. On it's face, it's an extension for a young player that is in the ballpark of what he deserves to be paid.

What bothers me about the extension is the timing of it, and that Colangelo has seemingly bid against himself once again to retain one of his players. BC & the Raps held all the cards with DD - they could have used this season to further gauge his value and had the right to match any offer for him this summer in restricted free agency. If his production remained static or increased only marginally, they get to offer him something very close to his open market value this summer and he probably would have accepted. If another team happened to throw him a $50 million dollar contract over 4 years or something - which I think would have been incredibly unlikely by the way - then the Raptors would have the flexibility to either match it or walk away. They also would have had a lot more options to trade him this season without the extension looming overhead of any team that acquired him.

All of the options would have been on the table in that scenario: They could trade him, they could re-sign him outright themselves, they could match an offer of another team and retain him that way, or they could let him walk to another team if they felt their offer was just too high. Instead, Colangelo proactively overpays for him and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Oh, and this is right after they used the #8 pick on a shooting guard a couple months before and right before they packaged all of their trade assets to acquire another overpaid player with a lot of redundant qualities. No vision. No foresight. No plan. All his moves are made in a vacuum and the results are as expected.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          According to HoopsHype Curry is due to make $9.9, $10.6, $11.3, and $12.1 mil over the next four seasons. Yep, thats value! Curry's contract, of course, is more reflective of his actual play from previous seasons than what he might do in years to come. Oh, if BC had signed him he would certainly be making $15mil+ next season, but it would still look incredible next to Brags and Gay. Wow, hard to believe that Bargs will make more than Curry in the next two seasons. I'm not yet ready to bash DeRozan's contract, I'll wait to see how he performs next season, I still think he can live up to it. Nonetheless, it reflects BC's perceived potential of DeRozan, not his actual play from previous seasons, which appears to be in contrast to Curry's extension.
          THE ONLY reason Curry is making "so little" is his health issues (read ankles). This was by far his healthiest season. Realistically, 50 games a season is fairly good for him. DeRozan will likely give you 70 Plus games.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Lets compare DD and RG (our main shooters, unfortunately) with Curry and Thompson, whom I think are the main shooters for GSW. I have also separated RG w/Memphis from RG w/Toronto.

DeRozan, 40% FG from 16-23ft and 36.8 eFG% from 3pt range
            Gay (TOR), 30% FG from 16-23ft and 36.6 eFG% from 3pt range
            Gay (MEM), 35% FG from 16-23ft and 46.5 eFG% from 3pt range
            Curry, 44% FG from 16-23ft and 67.8 eFG% from 3pt range
            Thompson, 41% FG from 16-23ft and 59.6 eFG% from 3pt range
            Lets be fair & realistic. Curry & Thompson are IMO best 1-2 shooting combo in NBA, so it is not a surprise that Demar & Rudy come up a"a bit short" in that comparison.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
              Lets be fair & realistic. Curry & Thompson are IMO best 1-2 shooting combo in NBA, so it is not a surprise that Demar & Rudy come up a"a bit short" in that comparison.
              No it isn't, but the point was that the Raps shoot about the same % of total shots from distance, with clearly inferior shooters. We need to change our offense and play to the players strengths.

Comment

Working...
              X