February 17 - Charlotte Bobcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Bismack hads down has more potential than JV. He is just more "raw". He is far more explosive, better hustle and overall physical talent and size. JV is just a safer pick...
    your high bro. He is a poor mans Serge ibaka if he's lucky. Or a rich mans Soloman Alabi. If you truly believe this i really don't know what to tell you

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      your high bro. He is a poor mans Serge ibaka if he's lucky. Or a rich mans Soloman Alabi. If you truly believe this i really don't know what to tell you
      He is more athletic than Ibaka. With the right coaching he can be better defensive player than JV hands down and he can run pick and roll also. He might not be as good as JV on offence but he's not Reggie Evans either, with his hops he could be great at pick and roll.

Comment

He is more athletic than Ibaka. With the right coaching he can be better defensive player than JV hands down and he can run pick and roll also. He might not be as good as JV on offence but he's not Reggie Evans either, with his hops he could be great at pick and roll.
        Now I like Biyombo but watching him play he RELIES on his wingspan. He does not have a feel for the ball, and he positioned himself poorly on a number of rebounds that should have been easy. This is where BB IQ comes in. Again he is raw and could learn it, but as much as I wanted him in the draft I did not expect JV to still be available. I am with the thoughts that Biyombo should have a good career though.

JV is not the safer pick he is the better one.

Comment

Good news for Raptors fans after this extremely disappointing game:

In the search for more offence, the Toronto Raptors’ new defensive principals have gone AWOL.

Head coach Dwane Casey wants them back ... yesterday.

Casey has worked too hard with this team, most of whom defence was merely a rumour before his arrival, to sit idly by while his hard work comes undone.

So a planned day off Saturday became a work day,
          the result of Casey being forced to witness one of the few times this year he really didn’t feel the defensive effort or focus he required was there in that embarrassing loss to the Charlotte Bobcats.

“Friday night I was more disappointed than anything because I thought our focus in the first half was down but for the most part, for the biggest percentage of the year, we have scrapped and fought with the most of our ability.”

And as much as he would like to work the players all four days before they get back on the court Wednesday during this elongated break between games, Casey knows when to pull back.

“Practice time is precious so I hate to give them (Sunday) off, but the human body can only take so much. We’ll have good practises Monday and Tuesday but they’ll be training-camp like as far as (drilling) fundamentals.”
          And the bad habits that have been creeping in lately, make this as good a time as any for a little back-to-basics drilling.

“We have lost our attention to detail,” Casey said. “I know that’s a nebulous word but being in position where you are supposed to be when the ball is on the floor. Impacting the ball on pick-and-rolls, we have lost that focus in the search of trying to score points.”

The Charlotte game was the second game in a row the Raptors have allowed an opponent to shoot 50% or better. In the 28 games that preceded those contests. opponents had shot 50% or better just two other times.
          Scoring is definitely up for the Raptors of late with the team averaging 95.5 points a night through the past seven games. The problem is opponents average scoring is also up to 97.8 over those seven games.

Casey admits finding the right balance for this group has been difficult.

“It’s a tight rope,” he said. “You emphasize one thing and you lose the other. Without practice that happens. Defensively we have just lost our edge.”
          http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball.../19397981.html

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            Now I like Biyombo but watching him play he RELIES on his wingspan. He does not have a feel for the ball, and he positioned himself poorly on a number of rebounds that should have been easy. This is where BB IQ comes in. Again he is raw and could learn it, but as much as I wanted him in the draft I did not expect JV to still be available. I am with the thoughts that Biyombo should have a good career though.

You hit the nail on the head

Comment

C Bismack Biyombo arrived a week into training camp (having finally resolved a contract dispute in Spain), he had lost a summer of workouts to the lockout. That might have been more costly to Biyombo than any rookie. Exceptional as his length and agility are, he couldn't even catch the ball with any consistency. Now he's calling for the rock and hitting jump hooks or finishing with decisive dunks. Biyombo totaled nine points, 10 rebounds and six blocks against the Pacers Wednesday, and though the Bobcats lost 102-88, the improvement in Biyombo feels like great progress.
              (Yahoo! Sports)
              With proper training camp next year and in the long run I really think Bismack is going to be the more productive player, especially on D.

Comment

With proper training camp next year and in the long run I really think Bismack is going to be the more productive player, especially on D.
                Your crazy if you think he's more athletic than Ibaka. Ibaka will destroy Biyombo any day of the week. Your overrating this guy, he's a decent player and might end up being an ok player in the nba but never a game changer.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  Your crazy if you think he's more athletic than Ibaka. Ibaka will destroy Biyombo any day of the week. Your overrating this guy, he's a decent player and might end up being an ok player in the nba but never a game changer.
                  You are underestimating him toughness and explosiveness. He has a bigger wingspan than ibaka and his vertical leap is also better. He is as athletic or more athletic. You have no basis to call him an ok player at best. He's only 18 right now (younger than Jonas). With the right coaching he can be a game changing defensive player that is really good at pick and roll.

Bismack Biyombo
                  Weight: 243 lbs.
                  Height (w/o shoes): 6'7.75"
                  Height (w/ shoes): 6'9"
                  Wing Span: 7'7"
                  Body Fat: 4.8%
                  Standing Reach: 9'3"

Dood is a monster. He has been consistently getting rebounds lately and getting better on O. Give him a couple years and he'll be top 10 PF in the league (at the very least on Def).
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Feb 24, 2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

You are underestimating him toughness and explosiveness. He has a bigger wingspan than ibaka and his vertical leap is also better. He is as athletic or more athletic. You have no basis to call him an ok player at best. He's only 18 right now (younger than Jonas). With the right coaching he can be a game changing defensive player that is really good at pick and roll.

Bismack Biyombo
                    Weight: 243 lbs.
                    Height (w/o shoes): 6'7.75"
                    Height (w/ shoes): 6'9"
                    Wing Span: 7'7"
                    Body Fat: 4.8%
                    Standing Reach: 9'3"

Dood is a monster. He has been consistently getting rebounds lately and getting better on O. Give him a couple years and he'll be top 10 PF in the league (at the very least on Def).
                    Biyombo has certainly done well given the 'RAW' factor, his age, and limited experience. Like JV, his motor is a good reason why they will both have success - just by going balls out 100% of the time they have half the bigs in the league beat.

In comparing them both, they both look promising. Personally, I'm glad we have JV and think he will be the better player. The reasoning is Biyombo will never have polished skills like JV whereas in time JV will have the strength and size Biymobo has.

Another reason I would favour JV is because the Spurs were doing everything they could to get him. The Spurs aren't perfect but they are better than anyone else when it comes to the draft.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I believe JV was the better and safer pick but I also believe Bismark Biyombo has a wider spectrum of projections, including the possibility of becoming a franchise-type defensive player.

The problem with Biyombo is there are too many things which need to fall just right for him to reach his full potential and that's too unlikely a set of circumstances.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                        I believe JV was the better and safer pick but I also believe Bismark Biyombo has a wider spectrum of projections, including the possibility of becoming a franchise-type defensive player.

The problem with Biyombo is there are too many things which need to fall just right for him to reach his full potential and that's too unlikely a set of circumstances.
                        I think the same possibility lies for JV if he maintains his quickness with added strength.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I think the same possibility lies for JV if he maintains his quickness with added strength.
                          Our disagreement streak has past the single digit mark.

I will buy a cookie to celebrate!

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Our disagreement streak has past the single digit mark.

I will buy a cookie to celebrate!
                            Enjoy!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Not to mention, I think the aspirations for JV are much higher than simply becoming a "franchise-type defensive player" -- by which, I'm assuming you're talking about someone like a Battier or Bruce Bowen type.

I'd gladly sacrifice that element of "defensive specialty" for a more well-rounded player who is good at everything. I think that's what Toronto is aiming for with JV at the 5. There's no doubt in my mind that JV will be a better all-around NBA centre than Biyombo (who I agree has elite shot-blocking/rebounding potential).
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

In more ways than one Biyombo reminds me of a terrific centre of not too long ago...Dikembe Mutombo. All defense mostly. That maybe his ceiling but Mutombo had a good grounding in the fundamentals at Georgetown.

Comment

Working...
                                X