We're #3!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're #3!!!!!

...well, third last, according to RealGMs pre-free agency power rankings.

28. Toronto Raptors -- Jonas Valanciunas might end up being the best player from the 2011 Draft, but will remain in Europe. They have some athletes in the frontcourt, but they’re going to have to depend an awful lot on Jerryd Bayless to create shots.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article...#ixzz1f4ucU5vQ
    I don't know if much at all is dependant on Bayless, but it's hard to argue with where they're ranked. Well, unless you're one of the people who thinks they'll make the playoffs.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

This is certainly Bayless' biggest chance to shine. If he impresses in camp he could end up starting on opening night.

Comment

I thought that the title refers to our draft position come this June. Wouldn't that be nice To those advocating the signing of Tyson Chandler needs a wake up call. This teams needs to do NOTHING. Keep everyone and let the backbone sliiiiiiiiide! Harrison Barnes and the rest of the draft class is salivating!
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        ...well, third last, according to RealGMs pre-free agency power rankings.

I don't know if much at all is dependant on Bayless, but it's hard to argue with where they're ranked. Well, unless you're one of the people who thinks they'll make the playoffs.
        I guess some are assuming that Calderon is either cut or traded. Funny how Colangelo hasn't given us the slightest indication on how he feels about our PG situation.

Comment

Yeah...I think this is a great example of how power rankings are arbitrary and subjectively written by some dude drinking his morning coffee. Jerryd Bayless? Jerryd freakin Bayless? If Bayless ends up 3rd in scoring on our team after Bargs and Derozan I'll be happy. I'll be extra happy if he does it efficiently. For that to happen, we would have to lose at least one of Barbosa and Calderon. I'm also hoping that Davis develops a bit, to maybe get over the 10 ppg hump, and Amir just needs to keep doing what he's doing and keep working on his jumper. Kleiza is a huge x factor. So is JJ, though I don't expect much from him....Really I just don't see scoring as a huge problem, and as I recall it wasn't last year either. Again, just some dude writing some crap on a whim.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Yeah...I think this is a great example of how power rankings are arbitrary and subjectively written by some dude drinking his morning coffee. Jerryd Bayless? Jerryd freakin Bayless? If Bayless ends up 3rd in scoring on our team after Bargs and Derozan I'll be happy. I'll be extra happy if he does it efficiently. For that to happen, we would have to lose at least one of Barbosa and Calderon. I'm also hoping that Davis develops a bit, to maybe get over the 10 ppg hump, and Amir just needs to keep doing what he's doing and keep working on his jumper. Kleiza is a huge x factor. So is JJ, though I don't expect much from him....Really I just don't see scoring as a huge problem, and as I recall it wasn't last year either. Again, just some dude writing some crap on a whim.
            uh, i think one of the main reasons this writer ranked them so low was precisely because of the notion that they may well have to rely on bayless to be a shot-creator...not exactly a great thing. btw, read back though your comment & focus on the names you mention...that's a pretty awful collection of players, and that's the core (at present, anyway). the raptors are going to be awful. i hope this isn't a shock to people. 28th may be optimistic...
            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
              uh, i think one of the main reasons this writer ranked them so low was precisely because of the notion that they may well have to rely on bayless to be a shot-creator...not exactly a great thing. btw, read back though your comment & focus on the names you mention...that's a pretty awful collection of players, and that's the core (at present, anyway). the raptors are going to be awful. i hope this isn't a shock to people. 28th may be optimistic...
              Have you been reading some of the predictions? A couple mentioned playoffs, although I seem to recall something similar last year. My prediction last year was 26 wins, I think. And even that was overly optimistic. This year, before any offseason moves, I'm going to guess 15 in the shortened season.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Have you been reading some of the predictions? A couple mentioned playoffs, although I seem to recall something similar last year. My prediction last year was 26 wins, I think. And even that was overly optimistic. This year, before any offseason moves, I'm going to guess 15 in the shortened season.
                Hold off on the predictions until we see the final roster.

No doubt there will be a poll put up (i.e. I will put one up unless someone beats me to it).

But I think we should wait until the roster is finalized.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                  Given that the Raptors won 22 games last year finishing 28th and as of now have no new roster additions, I would certainly have to agree. The two worst teams have become better with the Cavs finishing strong (relatively speaking) and having another year under Bryon Scott and the Wolves will get much better with Adelman and the talent they have. The Nets will have a full year of Deron and a lot of cap space to ensure they get more than 24 wins. The Kings made some trades and will have a healthy Tyreke Evans, 2nd year Cousins, and Hickson playing for a contract. The Wizards will continue to mature with Wall and company and JaVale is in a contract year while Lewis will be playing to show he belongs in the league past this year (2012-13 contract is performance based guaranteed - 'only' $10M guaranteed for this season).

Giving it more and more thought, fans should prepare for the Raptors to possibly be the worst team in the league.

*EDIT* Actually Charlotte should give us a run for the money.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Hold off on the predictions until we see the final roster.

No doubt there will be a poll put up (i.e. I will put one up unless someone beats me to it).

But I think we should wait until the roster is finalized.
                    As I said, this is pre-offseason. And I'm assuming they don't really do much.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Given that the Raptors won 22 games last year finishing 28th and as of now have no new roster additions, I would certainly have to agree. The two worst teams have become better with the Cavs finishing strong (relatively speaking) and having another year under Bryon Scott and the Wolves will get much better with Adelman and the talent they have. The Nets will have a full year of Deron and a lot of cap space to ensure they get more than 24 wins. The Kings made some trades and will have a healthy Tyreke Evans, 2nd year Cousins, and Hickson playing for a contract. The Wizards will continue to mature with Wall and company and JaVale is in a contract year while Lewis will be playing to show he belongs in the league past this year (2012-13 contract is performance based guaranteed - 'only' $10M guaranteed for this season).

Giving it more and more thought, fans should prepare for the Raptors to possibly be the worst team in the league.

*EDIT* Actually Charlotte should give us a run for the money.
                      Didn't you just tell me to hold off on the predictions?????
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It's going to be genuinely difficult to out-tank Charlotte. They've got enough salary committed that they won't need to add much during the FA period and their roster is just as bad (and even worse if Biyombo's legal issues become messy). Then again, you can never underestimate how badly Jordan runs his team; he may throw money at some amnesty'd players in an effort to sell tickets in the short term.

Comment

I really really hope we don't get anyone this year. I like this young team we have going. Spending big money on a FA in a year that doesn't matter doesn't make sense. I hope we draft Kabongo (hopefully) and pick up some FAs next year when we get Jonas so we can make a push at being half decent and possibly making the playoffs.

Comment

And now if this proposal from the Nets to Orlando; Brook Lopez and 2 first round picks for Hedo and Dwight, goes through, the Nets are definately going to be a playoff team, so theyre out of the bottom mix completely. IF the rumoured proposal is accepted.
                            Last edited by YelaRoth; Wed Nov 30, 2011, 03:15 AM.

Comment

YelaRoth wrote: View Post
                              And now if this proposal from the Nets to Orlando; Brook Lopez and 2 first round picks for Hedo and Dwight, goes through, the Nets are definately going to be a playoff team, so theyre out of the bottom mix completely. IF the rumoured proposal is accepted.
                              Wow. I hadn't heard that but it is true...
                              http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Dwight_Howard

How on earth do the Nets have any more first round picks to give?? Moving to Brooklyn with Deron Williams and Dwight Howard would certainly put them in a good position. Of course, the rest of the team would be a little lacking, but hat's not a bad start.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X