• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN NBA Today with Ryan Rucillo - talks about the raps

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=3634017

nov 17th - at the 6 minute mark

great podcast btw...

pretty much he mentions the wizards are the worst offensive team in the league, and they still scored over a 100 pts on toronto and did this w/o their number 1 player...

goes on to say how toronto doesnt defend the paint, and anyone and everyone is invited to abuse the basket, and they can stay as late as they want...

says its not even close, the raptors have the worst roster in the league...
    Last edited by Legalize-It; Thu Nov 18, 2010, 09:43 PM.

"goes on to say how toronto doesnt defend the paint, and anyone and everyone is invited to abuse the basket, and they can stay as late as they want..."

That line right there is a complete indictment on Andrea Bargnani....its what everyone around the league knows and thinks but doesnt come out and say..

Dudes a puss...

Comment

When I heard the 'worst roster in the league' comments, I initially bristled a bit. But after thinking it over and realizing that he's taking into consideration youth and reasons to 'get excited' about the future of the roster, then yeah he's probably right. They may not end up with the worst record in the league this year, but I can't think of any roster in the league that has a bleaker future over the next 5 years or so. Maybe the T-Wolves, depending on how Rubio pans out, but I can't think of anyone else.

That being said, you never know how DeRozan and Davis will develop; the tune could change if we see some real growth. But for right now? I'd have to agree.

Comment

Before the season I honestly thought they'd be better than this... still don't think it's all Barg's fault - anyone not wearing a headband seems to be a terrible defender.

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
          "goes on to say how toronto doesnt defend the paint, and anyone and everyone is invited to abuse the basket, and they can stay as late as they want..."

That line right there is a complete indictment on Andrea Bargnani....its what everyone around the league knows and thinks but doesnt come out and say..

Dudes a puss...
          says the guy talking smack to people on an internet forum, you sure you got the "puss" thing right?

Comment

This will be fixed/improved once Davis returns later this month or early december.

Comment

I also thought we'd be better than we have this year. I mean we have been competitive in most games, but have blown some close "winnable" games. Our defense looked better at the beginning than it does now, and that most definitely falls on our big men. Hopefully Ed Davis can help out with some shot blocking when he comes back.

Comment

Legalize-It wrote: View Post
                http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=3634017

nov 17th - at the 6 minute mark

great podcast btw...

pretty much he mentions the wizards are the worst offensive team in the league, and they still scored over a 100 pts on toronto and did this w/o their number 1 player...

goes on to say how toronto doesnt defend the paint, and anyone and everyone is invited to abuse the basket, and they can stay as late as they want...

says its not even close, the raptors have the worst roster in the league...
                Well, my thoughts exactly. To the Bargnani fanboys out there that think it was a mere blip will realize that when we play Minnesota, Houston, New Orleans and Dallas as well as other teams that have strong scoring 4's and 5's, the paint will be a cakewalk. If you think Kevin Love has the capacity to repeat the 30/30 feat, it will be against Bargs. Our beloved center will make Tyson Chandler look like the Chandler of old. Mark my words. Please keep your 30 points and 25 shots a game to yourself Bargs. They are not as valuable to the points and rebounds you give up on a night to night basis to 6-foot guards.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I would have to say that Cleveland is a worse roster than we are, considering we are just entering a rebuilding period, I think we are doing just fine. The other teams that Ryan mentioned have all be constantly bad for the past few years and have been acquiring high draft picks.

I like the NBA Today podcast, but sometimes I feel Ryan can just blow off the Raptors because they are from Canada.

What he mentioned on the Raptors letting people come into the paint at will is definitely true, right now we need to get tougher bigs. I do not blame Bargs though, the entire team needs to work at stopping dribble penetration and offensive rebounds by boxing out the opposition and rebounding the ball.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    This will be fixed/improved once Davis returns later this month or early december.
                    I hope so too... but be careful, a bunch of people last year were saying things like "don't worry about the team, once Reggie comes back things will be different." and because of injuries, lack of full training camp, not knowing the system enough, we all know how that worked out (no fault to reggie, just a testament to absurd expectations as him as our savior"). Lets not make the same mistake this year for a player that has never played an NBA game and because of recent injuries hasnt played a competitive game in forever. Will he be a great player for us, yes, will he completely turn this season around... probably not

Comment

The Raps might have the least talent at the very top of the roster, which Miami proved is the important thing. Stars are what counts in the NBA, moreso than any other team sport. The best player statistically on this roster is Amir Johnson, and he can't stay on the floor because of foul trouble.

Comment

Flock of Seagulls wrote: View Post
                        says the guy talking smack to people on an internet forum, you sure you got the "puss" thing
                        Im not going to respond seriously to anyone with as corny screename as this,i can tell by SN that ur opinions probably suck...

Comment

Points in the Paint

It's no big secret that the Raps have had defensive issues. What I didn't know, is how relative we are to a few Star teams.

By the way, Toronto ranks 14th, in scoring in the Paint.

As for Points allowed in the Paint, Toronto ranks a dismal 23rd. What surprised me, was that the Raps are ahead of Houston, Miami & Denver. The Heat doesn't surprise me, but I don't really want to deviate here with a CB bashing.

Toronto is also ranked 14th, in allowing Opponents' Offensive rebounding.

All that being said, defining Toronto as the worst Roster amongst all the NBA teams, sounds to me like someone who may know his basketball, but when it comes to above the 49th Parallel, he's completely clued out.

Comment

cbowlby wrote: View Post
                            I would have to say that Cleveland is a worse roster than we are, considering we are just entering a rebuilding period, I think we are doing just fine. The other teams that Ryan mentioned have all be constantly bad for the past few years and have been acquiring high draft picks.

I like the NBA Today podcast, but sometimes I feel Ryan can just blow off the Raptors because they are from Canada.

What he mentioned on the Raptors letting people come into the paint at will is definitely true, right now we need to get tougher bigs. I do not blame Bargs though, the entire team needs to work at stopping dribble penetration and offensive rebounds by boxing out the opposition and rebounding the ball.
                            I disagree, RR goes out of his way to say he isn't interested in watching bad teams but feels he needs to pay at least a little attention out of respect for said teams fan bases. Both on the NBA today and the SVP show he's said that Toronto has what he considers to be the worst roster in the league which is hard to argue with. Philly Has some star potential in Jrue, Allstar potential in ET, an actual all star in AI. CAvs have Andy, Mo, AJ, and Hickson. Wiz have Wall. Clips have Caveman, Gordon and Blake. Sac and NJ have nice collections of talent too. Once people realize that Rip and Prince are done and that Stuckey is incredibly overrated I think then you could argue that they might be worse, especially if you are considering financial/cap situation.

I've been listening to the SVP show and NBA today going on 3 seasons now. RR has always gone out of his way to talk about every team in the L and has often echoed Raps fans sentiments about American media, free agents, Bosh, etc.

One thing to note is everything he said was based on the Wizards game where not a single Raptor did anything good. He was 100% right. Of course he missed the ORL, MIA and LAL games where they played well..
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post

Dudes a puss...
                              Why is it everytime you post its anti bargnani? He is leading the team. Excuse those few bad games and hes been pretty consistent. The dude isnt a defender, i know, but hes not terrible. Please stop man lol.

As for this post, i honestly have no idea. The team is inconsistent and gives mixed messages. I think when we all click, and kleiza isnt shooting threes 5 seconds into the shot clock, and evans is getting 10+ boards, and the young guns do some damage, with bargnani putting up some nice offensive numbers, and calderon and jack not playing stupid, we are not the worst.

But, can you count how many "ands" I just said? Too much has to work for us to beat teams. Dosnt it feel like the best teams are simple? Boston-play d and score 90+ Orlando-Abuse the paint and kick out for 3s LA-Kobe and pau 20+ with good d, and good set offence

Raptors need some consistency. I think they (asofnow) be the worst roster. But I think they are a roster with a future. We have some developable talent, lets not waste it.

Before the season I honestly thought they'd be better than this... still don't think it's all Barg's fault - anyone not wearing a headband seems to be a terrible defender.
                              Que for reggie to wear the head band ? lol
                              Last edited by Red and White; Sat Nov 20, 2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X