Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade Lowry for this year's #12 overall selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you trade Lowry for this year's #12 overall selection?

Basically asking if you think the Lowry trade was worth it. Some mocks have Michael Carter Williams in that spot; others have CJ McCollum, Dario Saric, Kelly Olynyk or Gorgui Dieng going in 12ish territory.

If your selecting "Yes", reply and state who you'd pick and why.

If your selecting "No", reply and tell us how far up the draft board you'd go in exchange for Kyle. That is, what's the pick # where you would no longer want to trade Lowry? You could also include which high lottery pick you're targeting.
    Yes (tell us who you want)
    3.45%
    No (tell us which # you'd need to make the deal)
    96.55%

I struggled with this because I'm not much of a Lowry guy, but I'm also not crazy about this draft. I do like MCW, but not sure I'd take him over Lowry (for the next couple of seasons, at least) and I'm not sure he'll be there at 12.

Here's the guys I'd deal Lowry for:

Noel
    Burke
    McLemore
    Porter
    Oladipo
    MCW
    (ok, i decided to include him)

Top picks I'm not crazy about include Bennett, Len, Muhammad, and Zeller.

So given my list, I'd trade Lowry for #6 and hope one of my bolded players is still on the board.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Rather stay out of this terrible looking draft rather than spend a roster spot on a guy who will not come in and start while leaving a gaping hole at point. Lowry is being written off far too soon by the raps faithful IMO and he's better than he's been given credit for.
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

The only pick/player I would trade Lowry away for, is Trey Burke.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          I really think his being overrated. He reminds me a lot of Austine coming out of Texas.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I have no problems with the Lowry trade because this draft is weak.. but if Lowry is not the long term answer at PG here then it was a bad trade (and we won't know for another year if that's the case).

Draft picks are assets. They don't have to be used to pick a player, but they can be used in trades to improve the club. Harden may have come to Toronto if we offered a package that included that pick.. but we didn't have it any more.

I'd rather have Harden over DeMar and Lowry for example (assuming they were part of some hypothetical trade).

Now saying that, if I had to make the trade all over again and I could choose which draft pick I would be the least comfortable with that went back to OKC via Houston, then I would choose the 9th. And that would be purely out of principle considering we had the 8th seed last year in a year we tanked. To have the 8th seed again but to give it away would be heart breaking, even for someone like Lowry.

And I have not been paying attention to this year's draft. Didn't watch much NCAA ball this year, so my opinion on who we should draft in the top 8 is not something I could do.

Comment

Rudy Gay is not pleased.

Comment

I've said it before, but if you look at this draft, there's pretty-much no player who you can look at and say 'put that guy on the Raptors and they'd instantly be a better team'. And if you're looking to trade into the draft, you really need to consider need. This draft has decent centers but nobody who compares to Valanciunas. Wings who would be buried on the bench behind DeRozan and Gay. And no disrespect to MWC and Burke, but no elite PGs. Both are guys I like but they're also projects who I don't think will be starters for a couple years. All of which is to say the only players in this draft I would trade Lowry straight up for are McLemore and Noel. And even if you make either of those deals, then you need to make other moves to fill our PG hole.

Comment

I'd need at least top 5 to trade Lowry away.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Top 5 pick. Weird how people call draft picks assets, yet forget that Kyle Lowry is a great asset. Expiring and on a high value deal. I'm thinking we'll keep him but I think Lowry currently has more trade value than the #12 pick. We won that trade any way you slice it.

Comment

Trey Burke

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                      +1

I would trade Lowry for Trey Burke!

Comment

Craps

I don't think it matters much either way. No one can sit here and tell me the Raptors are guaranteed anything picking 12. I don't need a refresher on who's gone at 12; there have been many highs and many lows when you get out that far...

Of course we're all going to vote for the pick after that season but this wasn't the sentiment I was hearing in here from the majority when the trade went down.

They're stuck with it so I'm not going to torture myself thinking about what could have been if they kept their chair in the crapshoot.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          I really think his being overrated. He reminds me a lot of Austine coming out of Texas.
                          Really? Trey Burke reminds me a lot of a smaller Deron Williams. Attacks the rim, deceptively strong, very quick, great range, good handle and passing ability. Defense leaves a little to be desired though at times, considering he is smaller and shorter than opposing guards. I feel him, or Noel will be one of the few (maybe 3) players in this draft with any small pinch of all-star potential.

My opinion, your opinion. We're not NBA scouts.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Hindsight is 20-20. Today, obviously, not many people would trade Lowry for the #12 pick. However when Colangelo made that trade he was basically projecting Lowry to be better than the #4 pick. That was the risk involved, and I wouldn't make that trade today. The only thing that makes me feel better about this trade today is that Trey Burke is climbing the charts and looking like he'll be taken in the top 3.

To clarify I'm not saying we will drafted 4th. I'm saying at the time of the trade the risk was that the pick we traded could be as high as 4th. Thus, in Colangelo's mind Lowry was better than a 4th overall pick, albeit in a weaker draft. But as we all know, even in a weak draft good players can be had. And this trade was made 4 months in advance of the start of the NCAA basketball season.

The only thing that makes me feel better about the trade is that Trey Burke is shooting up the rankings and will be taken in the top 3.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Hindsight is 20-20. Today, obviously, not many people would trade Lowry for the #12 pick. However when Colangelo made that trade he was basically projecting Lowry to be better than the #4 pick. That was the risk involved, and I wouldn't make that trade today. The only thing that makes me feel better about this trade today is that Trey Burke is climbing the charts and looking like he'll be taken in the top 3.

To clarify I'm not saying we will drafted 4th. I'm saying at the time of the trade the risk was that the pick we traded could be as high as 4th. Thus, in Colangelo's mind Lowry was better than a 4th overall pick, albeit in a weaker draft. But as we all know, even in a weak draft good players can be had. And this trade was made 4 months in advance of the start of the NCAA basketball season.

The only thing that makes me feel better about the trade is that Trey Burke is shooting up the rankings and will be taken in the top 3.
                              I disagree. Worst case scenario, it was 4th pick. The flip side? Best case scenario is that it was the 30th pick. You need to look at the likelihood. BC was gambling that, with a healthy Bargnani (this was before his offensive abilities plummeted), and a solid PG rotation of Lowry/Jose, we'd be in the playoffs and thus out of the lottery. Lottery protecting the pick is a due diligence made so we don't end up like the Clippers missing out on Irving (for example).

Houston probably made the trade because they didn't believe we'd make the playoffs, and would end up somewhere in the lottery. Were they expecting the 4th pick? I doubt it, even though it may be what they hoped for.

Comment

Working...
                              X