2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Regardless of whether Valanciunas comes over or not, one thing will stay the same: The Raptors will suck. Be prepared for another year of losing and frustration, the good news is that the 2012 draft is already being compared to the 2003 draft.

he 2011 NBA draft had one of the weaker classes of prospects we've seen, particularly at the top. With a number of the best underclassmen deciding to stay in school another year, the draft lacked the usual quantity of top-tier talent.

The flip side: The 2012 draft is looking awesome.

With so many returning college players eligible for the 2012 NBA draft, plus a stellar freshman group streaming in, our 2012 Top 100 list will be very strong -- in fact, one NBA scout says it's the strongest draft class since the famous LeBron-Melo-Bosh-Wade class of 2003.

At the very top is Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis, the No. 1 prospect according to numerous NBA scouts and executives. Davis is a lanky big man who just went through a major growth spurt. He runs the floor, rebounds, blocks shots and plays above the rim. Though he needs to get stronger, he's a big-time talent.

Opinion about the top choice isn't unanimous, however. Several scouts and executives have Harrison Barnes projected as the top pick. The North Carolina swingman got off to a slow start in Chapel Hill but came on very strong toward the end of his freshman season. With his high basketball IQ, versatility and silky smooth athleticism, and with the Tar Heels poised to be the best team in the country, Barnes will get plenty of attention.

In 2012 we're projecting nine freshmen as potential lottery picks: Davis, Kentucky's Michael Gilchrist, Baylor's Quincy Miller, Florida's Bradley Beal, North Carolina's James McAdoo, Duke's Austin Rivers, Kentucky's Marquis Teague, Texas' Myck Kabongo and Memphis' Adonis Thomas. It's unlikely they all squeeze into the first 14 picks (if they decide to leave school), but the talent is there.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?...=ESPNHeadlines

I agree, the Raptors will stink. Jonas probably won't come this season and so next season the Raptors will have essentially added to high tier rookie talents in 2012. I'm thinking the 2012/2013 season is where you see the team take an exciting step forward.

Comment

What happens if there is no season? i.e. no games played. How is the draft order decided?

Comment

stays as is
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It is unclear how the draft order would be decided if there is no season, since the new CBA would determine that. They'd likely do some sort of revised lottery - it would still give preference to non-playoff teams, but shouldn't give them as much preference since they just got top draft picks once.

To me, the bigger question is: will all these great young players actually be in the next draft? If the owners get their way and the age limit is raised, most of the listed players will become ineligible, meaning it won't be as strong a draft as the experts predict. I am already hoping for Barnes! A future lineup with Valanciunus, Davis, Barnes, DeRozan... all we need is a legit starting pass-first PG!

Comment

Kobongo/Teague or one of the SF's

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              stays as is
              Are you sure? Do they not even have a new ping-pong-ball lottery thingamajig?

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                Are you sure? Do they not even have a new ping-pong-ball lottery thingamajig?
                but how would they change the rankings (ie. number of ping pong balls) without a season? If that's the case, its still not so bad picking 5 in a stacked raft

Comment

*Dreams of moving White Swan for a 2012 pick*

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                    At the very top is Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis, the No. 1 prospect according to numerous NBA scouts and executives. Davis is a lanky big man who just went through a major growth spurt. He runs the floor, rebounds, blocks shots and plays above the rim. Though he needs to get stronger, he's a big-time talent.

hmmm. Sounds like Jonas.

Comment

ovrproof wrote: View Post
                      but how would they change the rankings (ie. number of ping pong balls) without a season? If that's the case, its still not so bad picking 5 in a stacked raft
                      It is when Harrison Barnes will likely be gone by #2. I want new ping pongs!

Comment

I will be shocked if there is no season next year. Most NBA players will not know how to manage their extravagant life styles without a pay check. They owners can wait, the players can't. Once the summer is over is when some of the players will start panicking and just giving the owners what they want.

If anything I see a shortened season. Maybe a 50 game regular season or something. There will definitely be a season next year, and there will be a draft lottery as well.

If I were BC, I'd start accumulating several high picks for 2012 now. One thing BC is bad at is acquiring additional picks. Has he ever been able to do that?

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                          What happens if there is no season? i.e. no games played. How is the draft order decided?
                          If they go the NHL route, they take the average number of wins in the last three seasons and rank them based on that.

Comment

I have a bad feeling this draft is going to get hyped to the point where most people are going to be expected to be superstars which'll lead to a lot of people labelled as busts even if they are good.
                            Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

How much did guys like Barnes, Sullinger, P. Jones, T. Jones potentially lose by not going in this draft? $5 million? By the time you account for the new CBA, annual increases, draft slot - is it more? Meanwhile, Jan Vesely is now a multi-millionaire worth ~$9 million.

I mean, just a staggering amount of money for these guys to walk away from. Must be a few regrets today...

Comment

Working...
                              X