Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig wrote: View Post
    Well then I guess it actually comes down to opinion, because I love the Indiana jerseys
    Just trying to illustrate a point,
    fans buy jerseys mostly because of its historical significance to them, and not just for its aesthetic value.

Comment

• Personally, I think Leiweke has seriously overestimated the size of the "Canada-wide fanbase", in order to justify what he thinks is Canada's team.

I mean, other than the odd fan or two out west, how much do they really care about the Raps? And would they care any more than they did before if the name was changed to something more nationally observed?

EDIT: I don't mean to offend whatever fans from the west are out there, because there's no question they exist. I'm just pointing out that there is much less popularity IN GENERAL, compared to the GTA/southern Ontario.
      Last edited by isaacthompson; Mon May 27, 2013, 06:17 PM.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Personally, I think Leiweke has seriously overestimated the size of the "Canada-wide fanbase", in order to justify what he thinks is Canada's team.

I mean, other than the odd fan or two out west, how much do they really care about the Raps? And would they care any more than they did before if the name was changed to something more nationally observed?
        l am one of those western fans,
        and l don't care what they do or don't do with the name/jersey or whatshit,
        as long as the team becomes competitive and relevant l will continue to support them.

Comment

Personally, I think Leiweke has seriously overestimated the size of the "Canada-wide fanbase", in order to justify what he thinks is Canada's team.

EDIT: I don't mean to offend whatever fans from the west are out there, because there's no question they exist. I'm just pointing out that there is much less popularity IN GENERAL, compared to the GTA/southern Ontario.
          Also speaking as one of those western fans, who transplanted from Toronto, I think the bigger problem is the lack of media pickup about basketball in general out this way. Without any local teams, it's hard to grow support. I think the idea of the Raptors being a 'Canadian' team is way overblown. If the Raptors were successful, I think you'd see all of Canada rally behind them (similar to what happens during NHL playoffs with 'all' Canadians supporting the last Canadian team standing), but they aren't the 'hometown' team just because they're the only Canadian team.

As for the jerseys, I think they have nothing to do with growing a fanbase. Success and popularity will, but the look of the jersey will do little beyond drive jersey sales to casual fans.

Comment

I disagree.

My experience in Eastern Canada is there is a very knowledgeable and active NBA fan base. Most of those fans, again in my experience, are not Raptor fans.

Comment

When speaking about us West fans of the Raptors, agreed, a lot of basketball people and fans say I'm crazy, and tell me to forget about the Raptors. Most are general basketball fans, with the couple one or two fans in different districts of a city

Talking about a basketball fan in general? Strongly disagree. There is a huge fan base of basketball whether it be NBA, NCAA (seems to be Canadian basketball fans LOVE NCAA basketball), in the West side.

P.S. I realize you are speaking on behalf of Raptors fans, just pointing this out.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I disagree.

My experience in Eastern Canada is there is a very knowledgeable and active NBA fan base. Most of those fans, again in my experience, are not Raptor fans.
                I was being Raptor specific in original post...probably should've made that clearer.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• LateBoomer wrote: View Post
                  Just trying to illustrate a point,
                  fans buy jerseys mostly because of its historical significance to them, and not just for its aesthetic value.
                  hm, well I'd have to disagree. Take a look at the Brooklyn Nets and what they have accomplished in such a short time due to their clever marketing.

Here's an article that came out today coincidentally: http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/5/27/4...nding-the-nets

They settled on black as a primary color after finding out a nontraditional black jersey for Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose outsold a regular home jersey for Miami Heat star LeBron James
                  The black Rose jersey eh? You mean the one they wear 10 times all season? Well why don't the red ones sell as well then? I mean, they're definitely more historically well known and established right?

Answer: Because they look cooler.

Comment

• So to summarize: Yes, your team's aesthetic appearance really does matter in not only the financial standpoint.

But if a team REALLY wants to be successful, they must capitalize on the bandwagoner population, and this is done by looking attractive. Ex: Nets, Sonics, Heat, Warriors, etc.

Comment

I was being Raptor specific in original post...probably should've made that clearer.
                      I might have misinterpreted.

I thought you were saying there weren't NBA fans outside GTA/Southern Ontario.

I think Leiweke meant he wants to convert the Canadian NBA fans in to Raptor fans first and foremost.

Comment

• I am from southern ontario... and nobody cares about the raps and pretty much basketball in general. But people love cheering for a winner, if the raps were the pacers, a lot of peeps from southern ontario would be watching that series. especially since the leafs have been eliminated (i think.)
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Ok, just had a chance to go through this thread. Sounds like a number of people would be happy with a name that would be Canadian + bad-ass intimidating. Here it is....

The Sasquatch.

Tall, powerful, intimidating and uniquely Canadian.

Lebron: Hey D-Wade, who do we play next?
                          D-Wade: The Sasquatch.
                          Lebron: WTF?!! The Sasquatch? For real?
                          D-Wade: Yep. You know.
                          Lebron: Uh, I feel some flu-like symptoms coming on. Tell Spo' I'm a scratch.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                            Ok, just had a chance to go through this thread. Sounds like a number of people would be happy with a name that would be Canadian + bad-ass intimidating. Here it is....

The Sasquatch.

Tall, powerful, intimidating and uniquely Canadian.

Lebron: Hey D-Wade, who do we play next?
                            D-Wade: The Sasquatch.
                            Lebron: WTF?!! The Sasquatch? For real?
                            D-Wade: Yep. You know.
                            Lebron: Uh, I feel some flu-like symptoms coming on. Tell Spo' I'm a scratch.
                            Lol so we would be Toronto The Sasquatch?

Comment

• The Toronto squatches

Comment

• the Toronto Squashes?

Comment

Working...
                                X