The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    Yeah I think it's a good deal for AA but I don't necessarily think he should make the money Halladay makes because he's older and he's only had 3 good years so far, I'm not saying he won't keep it up but I think that's a pretty good reason not to give him 15M+ a year which is why I think he accepted less.
    I guess he's really content with just wanting to win because even though he is a knuckle baller. This three year deal could be his swan song.

He'll be 41 when it ends.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• So funny how ESPN is now spinning the trade as a "No-Brainer" for the Mets.

Experts widely label the trade a no-brainer for Alderson -- similar to Carlos Beltran for right-hander Zack Wheeler in July 2011. The Mets likely are to finish in fourth or fifth place with or without Dickey next season. And they obtained d'Arnaud and the Class A right-hander Syndergaard -- both highly regarded prospects, whom the organization will control for six full years apiece in the majors.

"If you polled the 30 current GMs and asked them if they would trade Carlos Beltran and R.A. Dickey for the three players the Mets received, it's safe to say all 30 would agree with the Mets' strategy," an NL executive said.
      Source
      And yes .. they compare D'Arnaud to Piazza in this article.
      Guess New York fans need to be happy about it before anyone else can be.

Comment

• Its the best offer they could get.

Anyways,Vegas 8-1, wooh!
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• Can't wait for opening day. R.A. for opening day starter!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            So funny how ESPN is now spinning the trade as a "No-Brainer" for the Mets.

And yes .. they compare D'Arnaud to Piazza in this article.
            Guess New York fans need to be happy about it before anyone else can be.
            It was a no-brainer for the Mets. They aren't competing anytime soon even with Dickey and they get one of the top two catching prospects in baseball and one of the top arms at A ball last year.

For the Jays it makes sense cause they need to win RIGHT NOW. But don't be fooled, the Jays gave up enormous value in this deal.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              It was a no-brainer for the Mets. They aren't competing anytime soon even with Dickey and they get one of the top two catching prospects in baseball and one of the top arms at A ball last year.

For the Jays it makes sense cause they need to win RIGHT NOW. But don't be fooled, the Jays gave up enormous value in this deal.
              Agree. The trade was not a typical AA kind of trade. The usually frugal Alex allowed himself to get ripped off 'cause it was worth it. An absolute no-brainer for the Mets.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• I disagree. It's not every day that you get to trade for a Cy Young winner in the MLB, especially one making relatively little like Dickey. AA had his window of opportunity and he took advantage of it, even if he did overpay a little.

Comment

• This guy is a class act. I wish more athletes reacted as normal human beings would:
                  "I think it's important for me to grieve leaving New York," he said Tuesday. "I had a proverbial home there. I had a home among fans. I had a home in an organization. I had a lot of success there, and I think it's important for me to be sad about that for a moment before I move on to the next feeling."

Or on how he felt regret over discussing the situation with the media:
                  "I must admit to you and repent the timing because I feel badly about using a time such as that to become emotional, and I want to apologize for that because that wasn't the venue necessarily to do that," he said.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                    The usually frugal Alex allowed himself to get ripped off 'cause it was worth it. An absolute no-brainer for the Mets.
                    Disagree. Not sure how you figure getting the reigning Cy Young winner for a Prospect is "ripped off".
                    Proven talent over Unproven talent any day of the week for me. Not to mention D'Arnauds recent Injuries to his knees. For a catcher that could be devestating.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Disagree. Not sure how you figure getting the reigning Cy Young winner for a Prospect is "ripped off".
                      Hickey for a prospect, even though he's the top catching prospect is not a rip-off. Hickey for two prospects, both very good ones is a rip-off. Don't get me wrong cause I agree with the trade. AA who I admire a lot, always deals for good value while being very careful about what he gives up. He didn't mind giving up more than he'd normally give up 'cause he see's good reason for it which of course is a possible championship. IMO.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Its not a "rip-off" in any sense of the word.

The guy just won the Cy fucking Young! His market value is 15 million a fucking year, we got him for far less.

How the fuck you figure that giving up two minor-leaguers for the cy young winner is getting ripped off is beyond.

You know what youre getting with Dickey and youre getting it immediately. You dont know what youre getting from these prospects and it's likely going to be shit for half the season, if not longer.

Plus, the chances of the prospects being hurt is higher than a veteran, who knows how to maintain from the wear n tear of the season.

Also, there is nowhere to play them. The syndergaard guy isnt going to be on the mound much and D'Arnaud would not be catching over Arencibia and Thole. He'd be battling for the backup 1st basemen.

The likeliness of them seeing significant time was slim. They had to be moved. It's unfair to keep them.

Plus,when you make a move like the miami trade. There is no looking back, you can't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal that helps your team in the now. No prospect is off limits,no up and comer is off limits.

If you see a trade that can significantly improve your team, there can be no hesitation on your part.

No guts, no glory!

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                          Its not a "rip-off" in any sense of the word.

The guy just won the Cy fucking Young! His market value is 15 million a fucking year, we got him for far less.

How the fuck you figure that giving up two minor-leaguers for the cy young winner is getting ripped off is beyond.

You know what youre getting with Dickey and youre getting it immediately. You dont know what youre getting from these prospects and it's likely going to be shit for half the season, if not longer.

Plus, the chances of the prospects being hurt is higher than a veteran, who knows how to maintain from the wear n tear of the season.

Also, there is nowhere to play them. The syndergaard guy isnt going to be on the mound much and D'Arnaud would not be catching over Arencibia and Thole. He'd be battling for the backup 1st basemen.

The likeliness of them seeing significant time was slim. They had to be moved. It's unfair to keep them.

Plus,when you make a move like the miami trade. There is no looking back, you can't hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal that helps your team in the now. No prospect is off limits,no up and comer is off limits.

If you see a trade that can significantly improve your team, there can be no hesitation on your part.

No guts, no glory!
                          I'll sign off on this. Completely agree.
                          I may not have used the F-word quite so enthusiastically, but I can't disagree with a single word in this.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post

No guts, no glory!
                            I like that line. If that was Alex' position, sure I agree. I just call it a 'gamble that was worth taking'.

The reason I call it a rip-off is 'cause under normal circumstances Travis D'Anaud and N Syndergaard for R A Dickey is a trade that a GM would not even consider leave alone make. For example, around this time last year AA would not have even considered making this trade even if Dickey was a Cy Young winner(hypothetically). This year though and FOR GOOD REASON, he sees Dickey as the missing piece who can help take us over the hump, so to speak.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              I like that line. If that was Alex' position, sure I agree. I just call it a 'gamble that was worth taking'.

The reason I call it a rip-off is 'cause under normal circumstances Travis D'Anaud and N Syndergaard for R A Dickey is a trade that a GM would not even consider leave alone make. For example, around this time last year AA would not have even considered making this trade even if Dickey was a Cy Young winner(hypothetically). This year though and FOR GOOD REASON, he sees Dickey as the missing piece who can help take us over the hump, so to speak.
                              In isolation, the Dickey deal would not have happened. It looks like KC trading for Shields.

In the Jays case, however, it makes sense cause Dickey (even a Dickey that regresses) is worth 3-4 wins and those 3-4 wins take a 90-win team to 93-94, which probably gets you in the playoffs. If you get Cy Young Dickey, you can add a couple more wins.

I think we are so used to seeing AA get great value in his deals (e.g. the Marlins trade), that when he has to give up equal value, we are all stunned.

Comment

• The knuckleball is magic, check out this wobble:

Comment

Working...
                                X