Trade Jose at the height of his value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I am not saying it's not due to the emphasis on trying to make a bargnani-bosh thing wrok. I agree that Bargs has been a huge problem especially this year.

But the debate is whether or not to trade Jose. We have this idea that since he beats out other backups historically (Ford, Jack and Bayless...he has not taken Lowry's spot yet), he deserves to start. Then there is a whole PG controversy. What I am saying is that there should be no controversy, based on the fact that we have never won with him. He has been just another guy (albeit a great pro) who has passed through the organization without making any significant impact on the league whatsoever. We should treat him that way.

Bottom line is, Jose is a lot like the Jameer Nelsons or Mario Chalmers of the world. If you put a good team around him, he will probably be effective as a starter, and if you don't, he is essentially at best a neutral player over the course of his career and will give as good as he gets but that's about it.

if you can trade him to a team like the Lakers or Dallas for a solid player who can contribute we will be better off.
    There is a controversy so its really to late to claim there shouldn't be. But to the bold, the correlation between Jose being on the team and the team not winning is so incredibly low its not even worth arguing. The low emphasis this team has had on him and his role on this team has always made him an under utilized player. Mistakenly so at that. The question should be "can or will this team be able to win with Jose", not "we haven't won with him so he should be traded". (and just to point out saying Jose is like the Nelsons or Chalmers of the league clearly points out that the team therefore can win with him)

I'm not against trading Jose, but I think as someone said before it has to be for the right package. Trading him is not a necessity and its not essential. Its an option. Thats all.

Comment

i think you're going to need Calderon to move Bargs. it'd be kinda cool if he went somewhere, won a title, and then came back to finish his career a raptor.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
        I also want to point out that the win total significantly drops off when Jose replaced TJ as the Starter...ie there is a direct correlation between the time he began to start and our downfall over the past few years
        in 2007/08 Toronto played .500 ball exactly.

The team was 28 and 28 with Jose as a starter, and 13 and 13 with TJ as a starter. Where's the correlation? Or do you mean the NEXT season when Colangelo fired Smitch promoted Triano, moved Bargnani into a heavier roll, traded for O'Neal and then Marion, had no back up PG and the team played 5-9 ( 35% winning) without Jose, and 28 - 40 (41%) with him? That correlation?

Comment

With all due respect to Lowry, it doesn't apopear we'll win with him either. Perhaps the problem is the make up of the rest of the team (and although many will make faces...not only Bargs!)?

Comment

Sorry...'appear'

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I am still down for blow it up: trade Bargnani/Kleiza/Jose/possibly Amir for awful contracts/picks and play the youth.

This is all our own opinions of course but given BC has tried to replace Jose 3 times, he has been on the trade block for nearly 3 years, he has talked about wanting to play to win, he has mentioned playing in a warmer climate, and the amount of money Toronto should be willing to offer is on par with the full MLE, I don't see Jose a Raptor beyond this season.

The same reasons you gave for giving the car to Jose can also be applied to Jose. You give Lowry the keys to the car, he's going to take it especially after how his stops in Memphis and Houston have played out.
              That's true. I assume you made a typo there on the car thing.

For me it's about timing. I think it should be open season on every non-rookie player on this team. I don't see a huge benefit to having a Lowry-like player on this team right now. He might help us win a bit more but he'll also slow down the development of our young guys. Actually I'll take that back.. in relation to Calderon, he'd slow them down but it's not like he's making them suck -- he's very capable passer. Actually I'll even take that back. My biggest and only issue with Lowry is that he likes to shoot and isn't a good shooter. He's shooting 40% this year which is bad but on par with the last 4 years of his career. I don't see that number going up a whole lot in the future. He's already in his 7th year as a pro. If Bargs' numbers have dropped and he needs to be traded, why would people think Lowry will become a better shooter?

For the bigger picture, we can get so much more in return for Lowry than we can for Calderon. Bargnani+Calderon is just a rental of one and really, who wants Bargnani at this stage? Only a handful a teams are going to be interested in that. Bargnani+Lowry on the other hand, is a much more attractive package.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I'm not sure what you do with Jose but I think that if you're going to trade the league leader in triple doubles and a guy who is once again in the top 5 assist to turnover ratio, you want something good back, and I don't think there are any teams willing to send something good back for a Jose Calderon Rental. So I say extend him and trade Lowry, who can likely bring more back. I also wonder if a Lowry Bargs deal would not net more than a Calderon Bargs deal. Regardeless, Jose has been one of the few bright spots in his dedication and professionalism during his tenure and I actually wouldn't be adverse to giving him a little bit of extra coin as a reward. The Raptors should try to treat their players well, maybe it will make it easier to attract free agents.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure what you do with Jose but I think that if you're going to trade the league leader in triple doubles and a guy who is once again in the top 5 assist to turnover ratio, you want something good back, and I don't think there are any teams willing to send something good back for a Jose Calderon Rental. So I say extend him and trade Lowry, who can likely bring more back. I also wonder if a Lowry Bargs deal would not net more than a Calderon Bargs deal. Regardeless, Jose has been one of the few bright spots in his dedication and professionalism during his tenure and I actually wouldn't be adverse to giving him a little bit of extra coin as a reward. The Raptors should try to treat their players well, maybe it will make it easier to attract free agents.
                  Hahaha ... Jose DOES lead the league in Triple Doubles this year!! Thats amazing!! And weird.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Hahaha ... Jose DOES lead the league in Triple Doubles this year!! Thats amazing!! And weird.
                    Jose for MVP!

Comment

the problem with Lowry is he has limited court vision..his passing ability isnt any were near Jose's..IF he was to learn to play more team ball he'd be just fine. he also needs to stop gambling on D so much.

its funny though with Jose he doesnt take his shots very often & were always hearing Jose needs to look for his shot more.. then Lowry is a hero Ball chucker for taking shots.. some people will never be happy.. too bad we cant just transplant Jose's playmaking ability into Lowry.

Comment

Raptorboy wrote: View Post
                        Totally agree...Jose is a legit starter and a superb team player. He is a great leader and it will be a great loss for the Raptors when he leaves. It would be great to see him stay and finish career with Raps but it will not happen. He has proven himself time after time only to watch management look for other solutions at PG. Only when he leaves will we truly realize what we lost.

Jose vs. Ford = Jose
                        Jose vs Jack = Jose
                        Jose vs Bayless = Jose
                        Jose vs Lowry = Jose

If he could not prove himself to management after this what else could he do. The damage is done. We are losing Jose and will regret it.
                        Jose vs Lowry is still pending I would say. I'd like to see the team play with Lowry at point minus Bargs.

Comment

knowledgep wrote: View Post
                          Jose vs Lowry is still pending I would say. I'd like to see the team play with Lowry at point minus Bargs.
                          He did get a chance, against Houston this year. He had 7pts, 5asts, 8rbs but shot 3/10 and was a -17. I'm not sure if he was playing injured or not though, but he did get a chance to show his stuff without Bargnani in the lineup, and they lost by 16.

Comment

Obviously Jose will have an edge over Lowry when it comes to maturity.

OTOH, Lowry is young, as he grows more mature and understands his strengths that quantity should only grow, while Jose's age will continue to limit him.

I personaly think its beneficial for Lowry's growth to be here at this time.
                            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

raptors98 wrote: View Post
                              Even with our nice 4 game streak, the raps aren't going to do anything this season. If we trade Calderon now, we could get some valuable assets, and maybe still sign him at the end of the season.
                              Some reasonable deals I like:

Package Jose and Bargnani for Kings first rounder (2013 or 2014), Aaron Brooks and Thompson.
                              Calderon to Memphis for Wrotten, and Speights
                              Calderon to Dallas for 2013 first rounder(might be lotto) and jae crowder

I especially like the last deal - especially cause it could definitely happen.
                              Your potential deals?
                              It is time to make a move....

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                He did get a chance, against Houston this year. He had 7pts, 5asts, 8rbs but shot 3/10 and was a -17. I'm not sure if he was playing injured or not though, but he did get a chance to show his stuff without Bargnani in the lineup, and they lost by 16.
                                oh we should trade him then, blow it up. That ONE game this season tells the whole story...

Comment

Working...
                                X