Future of the franchise depends on what the Raptors do this offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    I think you may have misinterpreted something, because I don't recall anything like that. When/where?
    Can't say for sure but I got the same impression from watching Ujiri's initial press conference. Tanking was presented as as legitimate an option as the first two that he presented. Maybe it's on raptors.com

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      How about Horford? If Atlanta goes into tank mode next season (and all signs point to yes), then Horford for DeMar, Kleiza and the 2014 pick (top 5 protected)?

Kleiza thrown in as an expiring contract (and to further help the tank).
      Not sure that Atlanta is in tank mode (signing Korver to a $24 mill contact). Unless they plan to flip him for picks. If we keep our current roster together, I see no reason why we're not a late lottery/early playoff team...not the pick that would likely land us a starting PF to complete the team. And, as many have said...even with protection, we should not be in the business yet of trading away 1st round picks (especially in 2014).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        How about Horford? If Atlanta goes into tank mode next season (and all signs point to yes), then Horford for DeMar, Kleiza and the 2014 pick (top 5 protected)?

Kleiza thrown in as an expiring contract (and to further help the tank).
        Bryan? Bryan Colangelo, is that you?

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
          Can't say for sure but I got the same impression from watching Ujiri's initial press conference. Tanking was presented as as legitimate an option as the first two that he presented. Maybe it's on raptors.com
          I don't think laughing at the suggestion was saying it was "legitimate".

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
            Bryan? Bryan Colangelo, is that you?
            I see you are in favour of tanking.. I'm not. I think the team is far from a single piece away like TL/MU stated, but I also think they should build towards a goal of contending.

Horford is an all-star caliber PF that is only 27 years old and on a long term contract at a reasonable rate (4 years x $12M).

Horford to Toronto could be like Indiana bringing in David West two years ago.

As for the pick, I see the 2014 pick as gold in that it can theoretically bring in an all-star caliber player like a Rondo, Horford, or like NO got with Holiday. I have more faith in a guy like Horford who's proven in the league over a #6+ pick in even a loaded draft next year.

Of course if we were tanking it would be a horrible trade, but I'm not a proponent of tanking.

And if it backfires, well they still have a top 5 pick so they could still get Wiggins, Parker or Randle and the only asset they lose is DeRozan.

Comment

Not sure that Atlanta is in tank mode (signing Korver to a $24 mill contact). Unless they plan to flip him for picks. If we keep our current roster together, I see no reason why we're not a late lottery/early playoff team...not the pick that would likely land us a starting PF to complete the team. And, as many have said...even with protection, we should not be in the business yet of trading away 1st round picks (especially in 2014).
              I understand the reason why we should keep the pick.. it definitely makes the draft so much more interesting especially in a loaded draft. But if the player you are getting for the pick is a good solid talent then I would do it.

In my opinion Horford is an all-star caliber player (especially in the East). He can play both PF and C, and makes a decent salary for his position and what he brings to the table. I can see why NO gave up a potential pick for Holiday and that same thinking is why I would give up the pick for Horford. Adding the same type of protection NO got on that pick with the Phillly trade is what I would do with Horford too (assuming he was available).

If we weren't tanking then this is something that I would look at, that's all I'm saying. My gut says Ujiri is re-tooling like he did in Denver. If he can get picks along the way he will but if there is a talent to be had he will go after it.

As for Korver you are right.. no idea on why they would do that.. unless they really like Korver as an asset like you suggested already.

Comment

I don't know...does anyone think giving Korver that kind of deal is a bit absurd? He can't do anything well other than shoot. He does that very well, but still, he's not someone that should be more than 7th or 8th in a rotation at best. Doesn't feel like the kind of deal a smart team trying to win would make.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I don't know...does anyone think giving Korver that kind of deal is a bit absurd? He can't do anything well other than shoot. He does that very well, but still, he's not someone that should be more than 7th or 8th in a rotation at best. Doesn't feel like the kind of deal a smart team trying to win would make.
                  That's what i was thinking. When i first read that signing i went "Wtf is Atlanta trying to do build around Korver". J Smoove is gone, Horford is like 27 and has reached his peak. Unless they think Jeff Teague can carry them, i have no idea why they'd sign Korver long term. Maybe a potential trade

Comment

Atlanta is never trying to win...I don't really understand it. In like all sports. Thrashers,Falcons,Hawks..They have incredible regular seasona and then kerplunk! in the post-season
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                      Atlanta is never trying to win...I don't really understand it. In like all sports. Thrashers,Falcons,Hawks..They have incredible regular seasona and then kerplunk! in the post-season
                      I don't know about the other Atlanta teams. But the hawks have a mediocre season and then get ass kicked out of the first round. If they're lucky they'll make it to the second and then proceed to get swept

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        I don't know about the other Atlanta teams. But the hawks have a mediocre season and then get ass kicked out of the first round. If they're lucky they'll make it to the second and then proceed to get swept
                        The Hawks had 50 win seasons. They were above mediocre
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                          The Hawks had 50 win seasons. They were above mediocre
                          they only had one 50 win season a few years back but i get what you're saying. they did make the second round 2 or 3 years in a row there.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            they only had one 50 win season a few years back but i get what you're saying. they did make the second round 2 or 3 years in a row there.
                            Shit. I thought it was like two or three.

It was essentially they swept the first round and got swept in the second like four years in a row.

Comment

• I think what props was saying though was the hawks are the perfect example of a middle of the pack team. they can't contend for the championship but they will win a ton of games during the regular season and maybe get past the first round. There's no substance to that, though. It might not be the 7-11 but lets call it the tim hortons in cornwall.

Like Masai and Leweike said, anyone can build a playoff team. That's actually pretty easy which is kind of crazy when you think about what BC did the whole time he was here. Building a contender is a process, and there's going to be some eggs cracked to make that omelet.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Any way we could get into the Golden State fire sale? Should we?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...rd-sources-say

Comment

Working...
                                X