Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Tanking ;) Raptor still have a long shot at 3rd worst record...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Tanking ;) Raptor still have a long shot at 3rd worst record...

The current draft lottery system needs to be fixed in a big way. All this tanking is ultimately bad for business.

My fix (until I think of something better): All teams get one ball. The first 5 balls that come up are the first 5 picks and then picks 6 onward are determined by worst records. Every team plays to get into the playoffs, losing is not necessarily rewarded, tanking becomes a non issue.

I say just put one ball in for each team and get the Commish to pick balls from 1 to 30 for the first round.

Let the 2nd round be determined by win-lose record.

I really dont see why successful teams shouldnt be given the chance to draft high. Its not like they draft high, players would lineup to play with them. This is already happening even without high draft picks anyways.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      The current draft lottery system needs to be fixed in a big way. All this tanking is ultimately bad for business.

My fix (until I think of something better): All teams get one ball. The first 5 balls that come up are the first 5 picks and then picks 6 onward are determined by worst records. Every team plays to get into the playoffs, losing is not necessarily rewarded, tanking becomes a non issue.
      And you'd be happy when Miami gets to Draft Anthony Davis?
      The whole idea of the Draft is to give Losing Clubs a chance to turn around their fortunes.
      Not to help Winning teams maintain dominance.

This idea is horrible. Sorry to be so blunt.
      As you lay it out, I suppose it makes sense, but so does Communism.

I believe the team with the worst record has won the Lottery all of 3 times, (thats a total guess, but probably fairly accurate.)

There is no solution to both the Problem of "how to fix you bad teams" and "how do you avoid tanking".
      It's one or the other.

And I believe the league is more concerned with making Bad teams Good again, than they are with Bad teams pretending to be worse.
      Last edited by Joey; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I disagree. The lottery weights in the favor of those who need influx of talent the most but there are no guarantees and the worst team rarely gets the top pick. This system is far more balanced than say NFL football which uses inverted standings to determine the order. I'm happy with how the NBA draft works. The bad teams need help and counter to Doug Smith, the draft is very important to develpment of a team in most cases.

Comment

Yup, the current system is designed to help improve poor teams. Why would we change that?

Having a few teams "tank" every season is far more tolerable than the disparity that would result with the suggested scenarios above.

Comment

My idea was inspired from a Jeff Van Gundy interview. Why should bad performance or to be more blunt, intentional losing be rewarded? The NBA is putting out some horrible product out there depending on what the match up is. Perhaps 50% of the teams could be looked at for possible tanking. Those teams that have no hope of making the playoffs and the marginal playoff teams also looking to stay or drop into a lottery position.

Comment

Apparently the NHL was tinkering with the idea of having a points-based system to determine lottery balls. That is, once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, every win they accrue from that point on, goes towards their lottery fund. In such a scenario, teams have motivation to win games down the stretch, even if the playoffs are a pipe dream.

Comment

What about a playoff bracket for losing teams ?

14 lottery teams ranked from 1 to 14 based on W/L record.

Best 2 teams are exempted of 1st round, teams 3-14 play to go to last 8 in a single game, March madness style.

At the end, winner of the bracket gets pick #1, finalist gets #2, #3 and #4 are determined by a "losers' game". Then from #5, you go as usual (from worst to best record).

Cool things about this :

# Teams will fight for their seed til the end of the season
                # All teams get a bit of postseason action
                # Sure, best teams (or should i say least sucking teams) are advantaged, but everything can happen in a single game.

Comment

The lottery was built to stop teams from attentionally tanking. It used to use the NFL style but they introduced this style which I think works. Since 1985 the last placed team has won it 4 times, 2nd last 4 times, 3rd last 5 times, 4 worst - 0, 5th worst- 5 times, 6 th worst 3 times, and so on. The 11th worst team has actually won the lottery. It's a good system, and I think it gives the league parody.

It still allows some tanking, but it still gives the teams that aren't a fair chance to improve.
                  Last edited by saints91; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Apparently the NHL was tinkering with the idea of having a points-based system to determine lottery balls. That is, once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, every win they accrue from that point on, goes towards their lottery fund. In such a scenario, teams have motivation to win games down the stretch, even if the playoffs are a pipe dream.
                    Whoa ... this just blew my mind.
                    I've spent 4 minutes trying to find a flaw in this system, and have yet to do so.
                    If I can't find one in 4 minutes, then there likely isn't one. hahah

Comment

My idea was inspired from a Jeff Van Gundy interview. Why should bad performance or to be more blunt, intentional losing be rewarded? The NBA is putting out some horrible product out there depending on what the match up is. Perhaps 50% of the teams could be looked at for possible tanking. Those teams that have no hope of making the playoffs and the marginal playoff teams also looking to stay or drop into a lottery position.
                      From a moral perspective, you're right. Intentional losing shouldn't be rewarded.

But from a business perspective, you need the current system to give each market an "opportunity" to compete.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Whoa ... this just blew my mind.
                        I've spent 4 minutes trying to find a flaw in this system, and have yet to do so.
                        If I can't find one in 4 minutes, then there likely isn't one. hahah
                        Unfortunately, it's human nature to resist change (no matter how much it makes sense). And this since scenario is so drastically different than anything we've seen before, it's almost guaranteed to never happen
                        Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Mar 19, 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

The product is not going to get better without giving less talented team an opportunity to receive a talent influx.

I like the way the current system is currently set up.

The real issue here might be contraction if the goal is to put out a good product across each of the teams in the league. More talent on less teams will lead to a better product, in my opinion.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            That is interesting.

So teams will start the season 3-38 and then really come on strong over the last 41 games

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              That is interesting.

So teams will start the season 3-38 and then really come on strong over the last 41 games
                              Hahaha And there is the 'flaw' I was looking for. Thanks Matt!
                              It'd be a race to see who can be eliminated from the Playoffs first.

But I guess since that makes very little FINANCIAL sense, its a little less of an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X