No announcement yet.

How long have you been a Raptors fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an old link on CBC (the video wouldn't load) and a funny line in the caption stuck out.

"We're going to make the NBA proud. We respect the trust that they've charged us with," says John Bitove, Jr., president of the yet-to-be-named professional basketball franchise in Toronto. NBA commissioner David Stern is on hand to announce the granting of the franchise, as is Jerry Colangelo from the NBA expansion committee. Former premier of Ontario David Peterson is along as well. The price tag for the team is a hefty $125 million US, but Stern notes that in exchange fans will get to see something special. "What we represent is a very high level of family entertainment," he says in this 1993 TV clip from CBC at Six.

What kind of special did Stern mean? Maybe the fix has been in since '93!
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I've been a Raptors fan since I first heard Toronto was in the running for an expansion franchise.

I was one of the few people who liked the Stoudamire draft pick, believing O'Bannon was overhyped during the NCAA tourney and that a new franchise should build around a floor-general PG (especially with a HOF PG as the team's GM).

My top memories, in chronological order (I think):

- laughing, in an embarassed and disbeliving way, when "Raptors" was announced as the winning nickname for Toronto's NBA franchise

- drafting Mighty Mouse and watching him lead a horrendous team to a win over my beloved Bulls at the Skydome, on his way to a rookie-of-the-year award

- Vinsanity winning the 2000 dunk contest, still arguably the greatest display of dunking in the history of the dunk contest

- sitting a couple rows behind Wayne Gretzky, Spike Lee and Michael Rappaport, during Toronto's game #4 home win against the Knicks to knot their 2000-2001 1st round playoff series at 2-2, then watching the Raps win their first ever playoff series

- being pissed off at VC for attending his university graduation ceremony (even before the game) the morning of game #7 against Philly, during their 2000-2001 2nd round playoff series, then watching his game winning shot rim out... that day was the beginning of the end for Vinsanity

- my disgust at the VC trade... truly the start of the Raptors' dark ages

- heartbreak watching Calderon's entry pass to Bosh get intercepted, sealing the fate of the favored Raptors in their 2006-2007 1st round playoff series against the Nets, who were lead by Raptors' nemesis Carter... that year had been the rebirth of the Raptors, only to end on such a sour note

Comment

Was pretty young when the team was announced but was already into basketball so watched games when possible. Didn't get into the raps very seriously until the Carter era.

This play is one of the most memorable for me, I watched the game and it was such "holy s^!t I can't believe that just happened!!!!" (in a good way) moment that I re-watched it during communications class the next day, and proclaimed Carter as the MVP of the league during lunch.

The vid is pretty grainy, but essentially here's what happened.

The game is tied with less than 10 seconds to go.

Carter has the ball on the left wing.

He explodes down the left baseline.

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon Rotates over to contest the drive...

And then smartly gets out of the way as Carter flies past him to dunk the ball with 1.8 seconds left to seal the victory.

To me that epitomizes Carter at his best. An elite athlete that couldn't be stopped on offense, because he could just DUNK OVER/AROUND YOU.

After the raps lost to the 76ers, I took a hiatus from raps until Vince got traded.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          - heartbreak watching Calderon's entry pass to Bosh get intercepted, sealing the fate of the favored Raptors in their 2006-2007 1st round playoff series against the Nets, who were lead by Raptors' nemesis Carter... that year had been the rebirth of the Raptors, only to end on such a sour note
          I blame that whole "Sea of Red" Bull crap Promotion.

Nets walked in with their Red Jerseys and laughed at us.

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
            And what is your first memory of them?

Unlike a lot of you, I wasn't a basketball fan during the Vince Carter days and only started paying attention to them during their 2007 first round match up during the NJ Nets. I only watched game 6 of that series though cause a friend told me to. (I still remember Richard Jefferson's late game steal )But ever since then, I've been a huge fan. The first Raptors game I attended came the very next year during the play-offs. Game 3 vs the Orlando Magic (Only game the Raptors won in that series I believe).

I know a lot of you are older than me, so I'd be interested in knowing.

EDIT: It'd be nice if you could add your favourite Raptors memory too.

The Raptors huge win over Indiana last season is one that comes to mind since I was definitely ready to turn off the tv before Rudy and amir saved the day. Jose's and1 to seal the game against the Celtics during the 2007-08 season is something I remember getting extremely hyped over too.
            1) mine too that indiana game was special

2) another favourite memory of mine was the demar derozan buzzer beater, i think the last three games we lost in OT by one or two points and i was preparing my self for another OT loss, but when demar put up the shot with two defenders on him i yelled soo damn loud.

3) home game vs la clipperes- rudy gay debut. i still watch the highlight to this day. no one expected him to play that day but he showed up and man what a game it was. his first point was a free throw but the half court alley from demar, and the three point buzzer right before half time. and mat devlin and jack armstrong were going crazy with the 'rudy gay era'

4)home game vs portland- terrence ross (alot of points cant remember how many) ross really did nothing up until that game he was quite and wasn't getting his shots to fall. ive been a terrence ross fan since forever and everyone in my schools a damian lillard fan, so i knew terrence had to put up a show or i wasnt going to go to school the next day. his buzzer beater and i think it was 6 threes and omaagod what a game

yea ive been a fan since pretty much the day i was born, no bandwagoner things ... forever t dot
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              I blame that whole "Sea of Red" Bull crap Promotion.

Nets walked in with their Red Jerseys and laughed at us.
              NBA, and in fact all leagues, need to do what NHL does and have home team wear their colours and road team wear white.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                NBA, and in fact all leagues, need to do what NHL does and have home team wear their colours and road team wear white.
                Do ALL teams in the NHL have a white away jersey? Because, while I completely agree with this, it would require ALOT of changes to be made by teams in the NBA. Cuz even with the 'Light Jerseys' & 'Dark Jerseys', it still leaves room for replication.
                Last edited by Joey; Thu Jul 4, 2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Do ALL teams in the NHL have a white away jersey? Because, while I completely agree with this, it would require ALOT of changes to be made by teams in the NBA. Cuz even with the 'Light Jerseys' & 'Dark Jerseys', it still leaves room for replication.
                  Not sure what you mean, but yes every NHL team has an away jersey that's base colour is white, the logo is still coloured but the majority is white. I think it's the same in NBA, I can't think of a single team who doesn't have majority white for their home colours.

Edit: or did you mean replication in that both Atlanta and Miami are still red? I don't think that's as big of a problem because unless all teams adopt a "white out" then you'll end up with problems like the Raptors/Nets series where fans are wearing the colours that the other team is wearing RIGHT THEN AND THERE.
                  Last edited by Letter N; Thu Jul 4, 2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The Lakers are the only team who doesn't wear white, right?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                      Not sure what you mean, but yes every NHL team has an away jersey that's base colour is white, the logo is still coloured but the majority is white. I think it's the same in NBA, I can't think of a single team who doesn't have majority white for their home colours.
                      Lakers, except on Sundays

Comment

I saw a handful of games over the years between 2000 - 2008 but i don't remember the games in the VC era too well because i was quite young. I remember seeing the 2000 dunk contest with my cousins and a couple of games during the VC era. After that i never watched again till i was 11 (07 - 8). I watched a couple of games during our last playoff appearance and then stopped for a year. I watched a couple of games near the end of 09 - 10 season where we failed to make the playoffs.

Then, i was going somewhere in the car with my mom one day during the summer of 2010 and heard on the news that Bosh might leave Toronto as a Free agent. That is when i began following the Raptors seriously. Pretty much the whole first month of summer break i spent researching the history of the team and all that. I remember printing out the full season schedule and posting it beside my bed (I still do that) and watching us draft Ed Davis.

The first full season i watched was 10 - 11 season and i haven't missed more than 3 games since. So basically i began following during the "Bargnani era". I know i probably started watching at the worst possible time but i never really got into basketball seriously till i was 11 or 12, but i always liked it from a young age.

- my first memory of the team was watching a Raptors Vs Knicks game in 2000, pretty sure it was regular season

Favorite memories since:
                        - 2000 Dunk Contest
                        - first home opener i watched 2010 - 2011 (Home openers always pump me up big time)
                        - Sonny Weems' game winner Vs Orlando
                        - Ed Davis' NBA debut Vs the Wizards
                        - Kyle Lowry's Raptors debut
                        - Jonas' NBA debut
                        - Rudy Gay Trade, dropping 20 on the clippers + 2 alley oop jams + Halftime buzzer-beating 3 pointer
                        - DeMar's fadeaway game winner vs Orlando
                        - Both of Rudy's Game winners
                        - Mogov poster
                        - Rudy's extreme cock back tomahawk vs NO
                        - Terrence Ross' dunks + Dunk Contest
                        - TRADING BARGNANI!
                        I probably have more but i can't think of any right now, going blank lol
                        Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Thu Jul 4, 2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

NoProps, if the Bargnani era is what sucked you in as a die-hard fan, then things can only go up from here. Your dedication will soon pay off

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            -So basically i began following during the "Bargnani era". I know i probably started watching at the worst possible time but i never really got into basketball till i was 11 or 12.
                            far from the worst possible time.... but not good for sure

The Rob Babcock years were a massive clusterfuck of WTF moments

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              NoProps, if the Bargnani era is what sucked you in as a die-hard fan, then things can only go up from here. Your dedication will soon pay off
                              Actually it wasn't the "bargnani era" that sucked me in to watch as a die hard fan. I always liked the Raptors i just never seriously followed them till that particular time. Really the only reason i began following them is because they are Canada's only NBA team and i feel an attachment towards them. I remember being super optimistic thinking bargnani and/or DeRozan would blow up and become the "franchise guy". Once you watch a full season of terrible basketball and blowouts, all optimism begins to die slowly lol

Comment

I was a big Toronto Huskies fan back in the day but I had to wait 40 years for the NBA to come back to Toronto. The wait may be well worth it, someday.....

Comment

Working...
                                X